billvon

The Reversed Standard Edition of the Bible - FOX News

RonD1120

Jesus died as the once for all sacrifice for all sinners. It is a gift that must be accepted to be of beneficial significance.

He just gave up a Saturday. By Sunday he was alive again.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

I'll never understand how a missing body was proof of resurrection or life.
Body snatchers!

Well, it wasn't.

Remember, the stories tell that Jesus walked among the disciples after his resurrection. Doubting Thomas even got to poke at the nail holes and stab wound.

Of course, those stories weren't even written down for a few hundred years after the "fact".
But since it's "God Stuff", I'm sure that those stories were written down exactly as they happened (we really need a 'sarcasm' font).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

normiss

Worship the carrot or get the stick for all of eternity!

--------------------------------------------------

The "carrot" is Jesus'/God's/Allah's/the great spaghetti monster's love for his flock/followers. Love works slowly. Early Christians used a fish to signify their faith. The fish is based on the biblical story about Jesus walking on water.
Other early Christains used a shepherd's hooked stick to signify the role of Christ leading his flock to enlightenment.

The "stick" is the wrath of the state inflicted on non-conformists/apostates/schismatics.
Come the dawn of Roman Catholicism, the church shifted to the crossed sticks that Jesus was crucified on. Roman Catholics sent a simple and clear message: follow the state religion or die a slow, painful, public, humiliating death. Romans were not shy about crucifying rebellious slaves, etc. either.
Since fear "stick" works 100 faster than love, it makes for quick converts.

As for Jesus dying on the cross to absolve our sins ...... that is the Jewish concept of a "scapegoat." Too bad the bigger Jewish story was never passed down the Christian tradition.

Returning to the OP ...... any church/government/association can grow "too big for its britches" suffer the sin of arrogance and fall from grace.

normiss

Yep!
Love Jebus unconditionally or be tortured for all of eternity.
Such a loving god.

That's why my God is governed by estrogen and not testosterone.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wolfriverjoe

Of course, those stories weren't even written down for a few hundred years after the "fact".
But since it's "God Stuff", I'm sure that those stories were written down exactly as they happened (we really need a 'sarcasm' font).

Let's put this a little bit in perspective - I think that gets lost sometimes. That is the equivalent of someone today writing down the life and times of President Abraham Lincoln and the civil war - if we didn't have written language back then and nothing was ever written down about those times.

Now how many of us would believe that I or anyone could write (accurately) about what was said during the Lincoln/Douglas debates?

CygnusX-1

Let's put this a little bit in perspective - I think that gets lost sometimes. That is the equivalent of someone today writing down the life and times of President Abraham Lincoln and the civil war - if we didn't have written language back then and nothing was ever written down about those times.

Now how many of us would believe that I or anyone could write (accurately) about what was said during the Lincoln/Douglas debates?

I enjoy this challenge: https://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/stone.php - tie the various tales of Easter in the Bible into one coherent story.

And I remember as a kid in a Catholic school asking how Luke knew what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane if he was alone.

No one even knows who wrote the books at all, other than none of them were contemporaries of Jesus.

CygnusX-1

I enjoy this challenge: https://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/stone.php - tie the various tales of Easter in the Bible into one coherent story.

And I remember as a kid in a Catholic school asking how Luke knew what happened in the Garden of Gethsemane if he was alone.

No one even knows who wrote the books at all, other than none of them were contemporaries of Jesus.

CygnusX-1

So what you're saying is that Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter is a documentary?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DanG

Well, believers think the writers of the Gospels were directed by the Holy Spirit, so the length of time between the events and the description is irrelevant.

The mental gymnastics required become fairly astounding but it goes something like this:

The book describing the works of god is true because although it was written by man, their hands were guided by God. The proof that God is able to guide the hands of man is written in the book of which he guided the hands to write and is supported by the faith in God described in the book.

Never-mind that there is no historical or archaeological record of the person who is literally the most important human to ever inhabit the planet even though there are records of many major and minor people from that same time period. But, as they say, absence of proof is not proof of absence.

I think that about sums it up.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DanG

Well, believers think the writers of the Gospels were directed by the Holy Spirit, so the length of time between the events and the description is irrelevant.

Right. I know that.

That's where my "God Stuff" comment came from.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

DJL

***Well, believers think the writers of the Gospels were directed by the Holy Spirit, so the length of time between the events and the description is irrelevant.

The mental gymnastics required become fairly astounding but it goes something like this:

The book describing the works of god is true because although it was written by man, their hands were guided by God. The proof that God is able to guide the hands of man is written in the book of which he guided the hands to write and is supported by the faith in God described in the book.

Never-mind that there is no historical or archaeological record of the person who is literally the most important human to ever inhabit the planet even though there are records of many major and minor people from that same time period. But, as they say, absence of proof is not proof of absence.

I think that about sums it up.

Peel back an onion sufficiently and you're left with nothing, and the same is true if you peel off successive layers of bullshit from any popular religion.

Christianity is a case in point of religion being but a communicable form of mental illness, mental malware at its finest. Islam is more pathological by dint of its paradigm of virtue being a psychopathic pervert, but it is still only a matter of degrees.

As Hitchens put it, the problem with fundamentalism is the fundamentals.

BSBD,

Winsor

DanG

Given the inaccurate lengths of time posted in this thread, it's apparently irrelevant to the skeptics as well. . .

DJL

The proof that God is able to guide the hands of man is written in the book of which he guided the hands to write and is supported by the faith in God described in the book.

The "proof" is in the practical application of scripture evidenced by the change in those needing to fill a void in their personal lives.

You can call it placebo if you want, but who are you to deny anyone that opportunity? Especially for those that have yet to experience it for themselves to the fullest extent possible?

winsor

Christianity is a case in point of religion being but a communicable form of mental illness, mental malware at its finest.

If that's true, then the majority of humans are defective and only atheists can be of sound mind. There is typically some physical evidence needed to diagnose someone with mental illness - usually a chemical imbalance of some sort - Do you have such physical evidence to back up your claim?

You could be infamous!

DirtyChai

Christianity is a case in point of religion being but a communicable form of mental illness, mental malware at its finest.

If that's true, then the majority of humans are defective and only atheists can be of sound mind. There is typically some physical evidence needed to diagnose someone with mental illness - usually a chemical imbalance of some sort - Do you have such physical evidence to back up your claim?

You could be infamous!

You're new at this, aren't you?

Psychiatry is one of the major Soft Sciences, and 'physical evidence' is often subjective at best.

As far as symptoms of psychosis go, having two way discussions with invisible people is a pretty good start.

In any event, our commander in chief demonstrates that sanity is not on the short list of requirements for success in this world.

winsor

As far as symptoms of psychosis go, having two way discussions with invisible people is a pretty good start.

Hypochondriacs have symptoms of something all the time. If that symptom involves actually seeing the invisible people they're having a discussion with, then maybe they're on(to) something. . .

Typical cases of psychosis are found in those that share common genetic disorders. Some have physical brain defects, while others have hormonal issues.

Many within the science community believe that the idea of "God" developed as an evolutionary benefit. It's a human characteristic, not an illness. I'm sure many atheists have experienced it in one way or another. They may instinctively "pray" during times of duress or briefly have thoughts about the "other side" when a loved one dies. You can either choose to suppress that side of your humanity until it dies with you, or you can explore it.

DirtyChai

The proof that God is able to guide the hands of man is written in the book of which he guided the hands to write and is supported by the faith in God described in the book.

The "proof" is in the practical application of scripture evidenced by the change in those needing to fill a void in their personal lives.

You can call it placebo if you want, but who are you to deny anyone that opportunity? Especially for those that have yet to experience it for themselves to the fullest extent possible?

Comparison with religion gives placebo a bad name. A 1955 study showed ACTUAL improvements in 35% of people taking placebos.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DirtyChai

Hypochondriacs have symptoms of something all the time. If that symptom involves actually seeing the invisible people they're having a discussion with, then maybe they're on(to) something. . .

Typical cases of psychosis are found in those that share common genetic disorders. Some have physical brain defects, while others have hormonal issues.

Many within the science community believe that the idea of "God" developed as an evolutionary benefit. It's a human characteristic, not an illness. I'm sure many atheists have experienced it in one way or another. They may instinctively "pray" during times of duress or briefly have thoughts about the "other side" when a loved one dies. You can either choose to suppress that side of your humanity until it dies with you, or you can explore it.

There are a lot of societal benefits to religious beliefs. That doesn't make any of it real, so exploring irrational beliefs and making the foolish assumption that they are true isn't really all that smart.

So the idea that it developed as an "evolutionary trait" isn't farfetched.

However, like so many other facets of life, it can be taken too far, misused and abused.

Similarly, the pattern recognition ability is a major survival trait. Being able to see, say, a tiger in the grass, despite it's camouflage is important. Being able to see the face of a human predator hiding in the woods is also a good thing to be able to do.

But when that trait is used to 'see' faces on Mars, and then argue that there must have been advanced civilizations because of it, or seeing the 'face of God' in a storm cloud and using that as proof of God's existence is stupid.

And
winsor

You're new at this, aren't you?

You don't really believe that, do you?

DirtyChai

They may instinctively "pray" during times of duress or briefly have thoughts about the "other side" when a loved one dies. You can either choose to suppress that side of your humanity until it dies with you, or you can explore it.

Yes, religion is something common in just about any culture, a source of comfort, and a way the brain tries to cope with things like death or "how did we get here".

Much as you say, as an atheist, one might also think of how a departed relative might now be thinking of oneself, as if they still existed somewhere. It can be comforting and help one get through the stresses of life. It will have placebo power. One might even say that a little insanity (believing in fake things) helps keep one sane.

But you don't have to be stupid and actually believe in unicorns or gods or dead people being alive on some other plane. One can be intelligent enough to split the comforting thoughts from the reality.

(Religion has the stick as well as the carrot -- threats of eternal damnation and all that in some cases. Some Christians wonder how atheists can have a proper moral code. But really, it just shows their own weakness. Atheist to Christian: "So, are you saying you are 'good' only because God is going to punish you later if you aren't? Isn't that like a kid saying he isn't going to beat up a smaller kid.... only because his big brother will beat him up when he finds out?")

And one doesn't have to buy into the very specific doctrines of a particular religion, or spend one's time trying to interpret some books cobbled together over a thousand years ago, or follow some established church structure. Those religious types, they sure do like to argue about the details and can't seem to agree on among themselves what the correct religion is. Which gods are the real ones, if everyone is convinced their gods exist?

Edit: I now see wolfriverjoe has posted some similar thoughts -- there may be some benefits from religious belief, but it doesn't mean it is true.