billvon

The Reversed Standard Edition of the Bible - FOX News

pchapman

... I now see wolfriverjoe has posted some similar thoughts -- there may be some benefits from religious belief, but it doesn't mean it is true.

Dontcha just hate it when you spend a few minutes carefully thinking through a response, carefully crafting it, and then posting it just to see that someone said something similar, but was just a bit faster?

:)

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DirtyChai

Hypochondriacs have symptoms of something all the time. If that symptom involves actually seeing the invisible people they're having a discussion with, then maybe they're on(to) something. . .

Like the Jimmy Stewart film 'Harvey.'

Typical cases of psychosis are found in those that share common genetic disorders. Some have physical brain defects, while others have hormonal issues.

We're using different definitions.

I go along with the observation that neurotics build castles in the clouds while psychotics live in them.

Many within the science community believe that the idea of "God" developed as an evolutionary benefit. It's a human characteristic, not an illness. I'm sure many atheists have experienced it in one way or another. They may instinctively "pray" during times of duress or briefly have thoughts about the "other side" when a loved one dies. You can either choose to suppress that side of your humanity until it dies with you, or you can explore it.

You overlook the fact that some people are wired differently, with no capacity for make-believe. The idea that everything observable had its origin in an omnipotent entity that is orders of magnitude more complex, while being completely unobservable and having no origin itself, is patent nonsense.

There most certainly are people who have no urge to defer to some cosmic daddy to suppress. YMMV.

I did a course at university no the anthropology of religion. Essentially every civilisation across the world came up with some form of religion as a justification of their lives. The "Why are we here?" question is too big to answer and so humans invent a reason, which is religion. It happens everywhere.

On another note, a wise man once said 'If you talk to god you are a Christian. If god talks to you, you are a schizophrenic.".

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

CornishChris

I did a course at university no the anthropology of religion. Essentially every civilisation across the world came up with some form of religion as a justification of their lives. The "Why are we here?" question is too big to answer and so humans invent a reason, which is religion. It happens everywhere.

On another note, a wise man once said 'If you talk to god you are a Christian. If god talks to you, you are a schizophrenic.".

Interesting article in Scientific American this month about how talking to oneself or imaginary beings is a way the brain solves problems and creates solutions.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

CornishChris

"The Devil made me do it!"

Flip Wilson

I have been following this thread with amusement.

As a Christian mental health professional specializing in substance use disorder let me say, there is a difference between receiving guidance from the Holy Spirit and responding to internal stimulus.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Mumbling about a problem with yourself is normal in some circles. "Where did I leave that dadburn tool??????"

Similarly, asking God helps you straighten out your thoughts ....... like my buddy phoning me for advice on truck repairs.

Boasting after a few beers is considered normal in many circles.
BUT when the stories grow so grandious that original participants no longer recognize the tale ..... that's "liquor logic."

When craving for a drug opens your mind to listening to your "inner demons," then problems rapidity bloom.

As for Ron's fundamentalist Chrisian approach to drug abuse ..... I respect his logic, because I attended a whole bunch of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings 20-21 years ago. AA often refers to a "higher power" as a way to remind alcoholics that they are not the most important person in the galaxy. Referring to God also reminds alcoholics that they are part of a bigger picture .... a picture waaaaaaaay larger than their tiny minds can grasp.

What did AA do for me? I never really found God, but I have been sober for 21.5 years.

RonD1120

I have been following this thread with amusement

Ya, here's a brief summation:

Atheist/Skeptic: "Faith/Religion is a mental illness!"

Theist/Beilever: "Not necessarily, science shows it to be an inherent human characteristic."

Atheist/Skeptic:"Ok then, they're not crazy, they're just stupid! Because Unicorns! Mars!"