normiss

Another terrorist bombing, but.....

DirtyChai

a burned copy of the Quran that was stuffed with bacon was left chained to a fence near a Sacramento mosque.

It still probably didn't have as much an impact as the provocative works of secular liberal atheists at Charlie Hebdo. Who's to say that this wasn't the work of like-minded individuals?

There's a huge difference between publishing a magazine for people to read if they so choose, and threatening people by leaving hateful signs on their property. Making fun of people on TV is OK, mailing death threats to them is NOT OK -- no matter how you choose to measure the "impact".

bgrozev

a burned copy of the Quran that was stuffed with bacon was left chained to a fence near a Sacramento mosque.

It still probably didn't have as much an impact as the provocative works of secular liberal atheists at Charlie Hebdo. Who's to say that this wasn't the work of like-minded individuals?
There's a huge difference between publishing a magazine for people to read if they so choose, and threatening people by leaving hateful signs on their property.
Granted it's different, but not by much. It's all hate regardless. Apparently there is a sense of doublethinking in today's society that hate may or may not be acceptable depending on the method of delivery, and by whom it's delivered.

bgrozev

Making fun of people on TV is OK, mailing death threats to them is NOT OK.

What does that have to do with what we're talking about?

DirtyChai

***In this case of terrorism, my money is on a white US christian who hates islam.
Because apparently one religion of hate and intolerance is better than another religion of hate and intolerance.

It could also be by the hands of conservative nationalists or other white supremacy groups, many of which include atheists. It's just that they have a familiarity with christianity and never felt threatened by it, so they just focus on other groups.

Most likely a white male with poorly developed perspectives of religion and politics. Therefore easily motivated to impulsive hatred.

DanG

Sounds like you are holding up the interment camps as a positive example.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Re-read my post. "It was pretty bad then". Was it the right thing to do? No, but they went with what they felt they had to do. When you're dealing with motherfuckers going "BANZAI!!!" going suicide dive bombing in their planes, you realize what they're willing to do to kill you.

Radical islamists aren't much different.

"It was pretty bad then," is well short of, "It was an unconstitutional affront against loyal citizens."

BTW, how many ethnic Japanese ended up going traitor? How about ethnic Germans or Italians? Why didn't we lock them up, too?

- Dan G

nolhtairt

Re-read my post. "It was pretty bad then". Was it the right thing to do? No, but they went with what they felt they had to do. When you're dealing with motherfuckers going "BANZAI!!!" going suicide dive bombing in their planes, you realize what they're willing to do to kill you.

What do you realise about people willing to use WMDs against civilian populations?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

DanG

"How about ethnic Germans or Italians? Why didn't we lock them up, too?

We probably would have, but they look like us and are harder to point out. Same reason you don't hear much griping about Serbian/Croatian Muslims. They're virtually indistinguishable from western European Christians.

We probably would have, but they look like us and are harder to point out. Same reason you don't hear much griping about Serbian/Croatian Muslims. They're virtually indistinguishable from western European Christians.

Bingo. There needs to be a distinct "them" for such prejudice to work. Sometimes people manage to find very subtle differences to focus their anger on (i.e. the Protestants vs Catholics in Ireland, the Irish in New York City) but for the most part, targeting a specific group of people is much easier when they are easy to visually identify.

nolhtairt

***Sounds like you are holding up the interment camps as a positive example.

You speak of this as if before the war we knew they were going to start using Kamikaze pilots.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

> It amazes me that people (most of whom have probably never so much as met
>a Muslim) think ridiculous shit like this.

The White House came up with even more ridiculous shit today. The President isn't commenting on the attack (according to spokesman Gorka) because it's probably going to "turn out to be propagated by the left."

That's a perfect Trump position. Blame the other side based on zero facts.

jakee

***Re-read my post. "It was pretty bad then". Was it the right thing to do? No, but they went with what they felt they had to do. When you're dealing with motherfuckers going "BANZAI!!!" going suicide dive bombing in their planes, you realize what they're willing to do to kill you.

What do you realise about people willing to use WMDs against civilian populations?

Better to shock a whole country into surrendering rather than have a million plus die in a brutal invasion. Besides, Russia (who we didn't trust) had to be put in their place and not get involved. We picked the lesser of two evils. It was the hardest decision Harry S Truman likely ever made.

DJL

******Sounds like you are holding up the interment camps as a positive example.

You speak of this as if before the war we knew they were going to start using Kamikaze pilots.

I was referring to the Japanese. Just to be clear. Their end goal was to kill you and if it meant they were going to die to do it, so be it.

Now tell me a radical muslim who hates America isn't going to do the same thing, albeit a different method.

nolhtairt

*********Sounds like you are holding up the interment camps as a positive example.

I was referring to the Japanese. Just to be clear. Their end goal was to kill you and if it meant they were going to die to do it, so be it.

Now tell me a radical muslim who hates America isn't going to do the same thing, albeit a different method.

You think putting muslims into internment camps will result in less extremism towards the United States?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

nolhtairt

Better to shock a whole country into surrendering rather than have a million plus die in a brutal invasion. Besides, Russia (who we didn't trust) had to be put in their place and not get involved. We picked the lesser of two evils. It was the hardest decision Harry S Truman likely ever made.

So hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians had to be killed, burned or given radiation poisoning to send a message to Stalin and that's ok, and doesn't reflect badly on Americans as a whole.

But even if you try really hard there's no rationalisation for using Kamikaze pilots to attack military targets, and it reflects so badly on Japan that even American citizens who are ethnically Japanese need to be locked up?

nolhtairt

*********Sounds like you are holding up the interment camps as a positive example.

Right, because along with the yellow skin and slanty eyes comes the suicide pilot gene. You can't trust any of those shifty asians.

>Right, because along with the yellow skin and slanty eyes comes the suicide
>pilot gene. You can't trust any of those shifty asians.

Well, the Japanese do have a song that glorifies suicidal warriors dying in the name of their God, so what do you expect? (At least I think it's Japanese) Verse 3:

==============
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free
While God is marching on.

Glory, glory, hallelujah
Glory, glory, hallelujah
Glory, glory, hallelujah
While God is marching on.
===============

DJL

************Sounds like you are holding up the interment camps as a positive example.

You think putting muslims into internment camps will result in less extremism towards the United States?

LOL no. I used history as an example. We have the CIA and FBI to keep an eye on anybody they deem suspicious or have intel on. That's the best way to do it. Catch them before they act. Kill or capture them if they act.

jakee

***Better to shock a whole country into surrendering rather than have a million plus die in a brutal invasion. Besides, Russia (who we didn't trust) had to be put in their place and not get involved. We picked the lesser of two evils. It was the hardest decision Harry S Truman likely ever made.

So hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians had to be killed, burned or given radiation poisoning to send a message to Stalin and that's ok, and doesn't reflect badly on Americans as a whole.

It was a horrible thing to do to be sure. But it did end WWII. Could have targeted Tokyo but Truman chose the two smaller cities instead.

I sincerely hope that's the last time a city gets nuked. Which brings us to the North Korean question. Their bellicose rhetoric is rising to levels not seen before. Especially now that China and Russia both agreed to the latest UN sanctions.

Word is they're drawing up plans to shoot four missiles toward Guam, but fall short into the waters, as a warning.

Going to be interesting to see if they actually pull that off, and what the response is going to be from the US and Japan (who are going to be pissed at having missiles overflying their islands)

>It was a horrible thing to do to be sure. But it did end WWII.

And had kamikaze pilots turned the tide in the war, you (or someone very much like you) would be arguing that perhaps using pilots that was was regrettable, but it did end the war and thus was OK.

Could have targeted Tokyo but Truman chose the two smaller cities instead.

Tokyo had already suffered extensive damage due to conventional bombing and the resulting firestorms. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were chosen in no small part because they had not been targeted to that point, and so the damage from the nuclear explosions would be more obvious. In other words they were experiments as well as military targets.

Please note that I do think there were valid military reasons to use the bomb under the circumstances of the time.

Don