yoink

Police body cameras

Those guys thought they were right and didn't try to hide it. I'm about 99.9% sure they weren't.

Some states have funky rules regarding implied consent and exigent circumstances, IMHO this wasn't an exigent circumstance. If there were any questions regarding the truck driver being impaired, they could be answered later.
I'm glad I don't work in a state that can compel or even force a blood draw for traffic related charges, I wouldn't do it.

As far as the patrol Lt ordering the guy to arrest the nurse, one is not required to follow an unlawful order.
I'm been caught in that shit sandwich before, and my answer always was "if you feel so strong about it, you come down and make the arrest, because I don't feel comfortable with it". That usually ended it.

Looks like this may have ended up in a pissing contest, no one wins a pissing contest.

These guys made a mistake, a big one, now the 24 hour news cycle and armchair experts are slamming down on their heads.

We all make mistakes at work, but seldom do you end up on the front page of the paper.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

We all make mistakes at work, but seldom do you end up on the front page of the paper.

Right, but my mistakes at work don't end up with a diligent public servant handcuffed on the way to lockup.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

skycop

Those guys thought they were right and didn't try to hide it. I'm about 99.9% sure they weren't.

Some states have funky rules regarding implied consent and exigent circumstances, IMHO this wasn't an exigent circumstance. If there were any questions regarding the truck driver being impaired, they could be answered later.
I'm glad I don't work in a state that can compel or even force a blood draw for traffic related charges, I wouldn't do it.

As far as the patrol Lt ordering the guy to arrest the nurse, one is not required to follow an unlawful order.
I'm been caught in that shit sandwich before, and my answer always was "if you feel so strong about it, you come down and make the arrest, because I don't feel comfortable with it". That usually ended it.

Looks like this may have ended up in a pissing contest, no one wins a pissing contest.

These guys made a mistake, a big one, now the 24 hour news cycle and armchair experts are slamming down on their heads.

Experience and judgement don't necessarily come with any job. Nor do time on the job, training, rank, etc. bring judgement to the equation.

Good answer.

Well, the cops are no longer allowed free access to the hospital. If they want to get to patient care areas, they have to go through the front desk.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/05/548601099/calling-nurse-a-hero-utah-hospital-bars-police-from-patient-care-areas?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170905
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Here is one that is going to turn out bad in the press:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/05/ohio-news-photographer-reportedly-shot-by-deputy-while-setting-up-to-take-pictures-traffic-stop.html

Its not too far from me and I know some of the locals and they are saying the local police force does not have body cams. In this case the witness is reporting no warnings or engagement prior to being shot twice.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

This cop has been fired.
B|
Were I the nurse, I'd be hiring an attorney for a lawsuit against the cop, the PD, and the union, like any good ambulance chaser chases after money.
Illegal arrest and detention and violation of her rights.
They would settle out of court for a few million at least.

I thought we were a nation of laws?!?!?!?!

We're traveling across the country in our van. Got stopped for speeding in a small Iowa town. The police officer said he was going to issue a warning, he just had to run the plates to make it official.
But the plates wouldn't run; something funky about it. So we just got a "don't speed and be on your way." I wonder what someone whose plates wouldn't run who didn't look like a middle aged white couple would get. Maybe the same thing, but no one would be surprised if there were more suspicion of an uncooperative license plate. And if so, few would wonder.l, because they looked suspicious.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

We're traveling across the country in our van. Got stopped for speeding in a small Iowa town. The police officer said he was going to issue a warning, he just had to run the plates to make it official.
But the plates wouldn't run; something funky about it. So we just got a "don't speed and be on your way." I wonder what someone whose plates wouldn't run who didn't look like a middle aged white couple would get. Maybe the same thing, but no one would be surprised if there were more suspicion of an uncooperative license plate. And if so, few would wonder.l, because they looked suspicious.

Wendy P.

Demeanor and actions play a large part too. Guessing you and your husband were civil and cooperative. Had ya'll been yelling at the officer or were acting suspicious most likely would have been detained until plates cleared.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

My neighbor had his car window smashed over the weekend, probably by some teenagers or something. There is virtually no crime in my neighborhood. Anyway, a cop came around to ask if I had seen or heard anything suspicious. I've never done anything wrong in my life, at least not that would arise to the felony level. I was nervous talking to this cop anyway. I didn't have anything to do with the window being broken, I hadn't heard or seen anything, and the worst crime I've committed in recent memory is moderate speeding. I can't imagine how nervous I would have been if I had a little weed in the house, or was a month behind on child care payments, or had shoplifted a candy bar last week. I also can't imagine how nervous I would have been if I were black.

It's easy to blame the victims of racial profiling for acting furtively, or not being cooperative. It's harder to put yourself in their shoes and understand that being nervous around cops is natural, and even more understandable if the cops have a history of treating you unfairly.

- Dan G

Reminds me of getting stopped for racing my buddy on our motorcycles on the way to Bike Week a number of years ago.
I simply said I wasn't racing, cop said oh yes you were.
Against him? Pointing to my buddy who stopped with me.
Cop asked if I wanted to go to jail.

OK bully, you win.

Thankfully I've had very few interactions with cops and most were good, unless a black friend was with me.

skycop

Actually, no state can compel warrantless blood draws without exigent circumstances. SCOTUS ruled in June 2016 (Birchfield vs North Dakota) on the specific issue of implied consent laws & warrantless blood draws and decided that, while warrantless breath tests are legal, blood draws always require a warrant reqardless of what the implied consent law says.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-1468_8n59.pdf

DanG

It's easy to blame the victims of racial profiling for acting furtively, or not being cooperative. It's harder to put yourself in their shoes and understand that being nervous around cops is natural, and even more understandable if the cops have a history of treating you unfairly.

Yeah. I recently drove abroad with a very freeform agenda of base jumping, bike riding, camping out and following the weather. Passport guy wanted to ask a bunch of questions and the exchange was something like 'Where are you going?' "Mostly around northern Italy" 'Why?' "For fun" 'Where are you staying?' "I don't know yet." 'Are you meeting anyone?' "I'll probably see people I know" 'Where are they coming from?' "It depends who it is!" etc. etc. I was actually being completely honest to the best of my ability but it could easily have been viewed as extremely evasive and uncooperative. Luckily I'm white, fairly clean cut and with a socially acceptable accent ;)

Also on the way back I was sitting behind a van with a middle aged couple who were asked by the very bored French security (carrying sub machine guns at port arms) to open the back so they could check for illegal immigrants... and they were scared shitless. Granted being British they may never have even seen someone holding a gun before but they were two steps shy of full blown panic just from being spoken to quietly by someone who had a firearm on their person. So reading some posters here criticise victims of police shootings for making sudden movements when being shouted at by a cop who is pointing a weapon at them.... I just don't even know what they're thinking:|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Actually, no state can compel warrantless blood draws without exigent circumstances. SCOTUS ruled in June 2016 (Birchfield vs North Dakota) on the specific issue of implied consent laws & warrantless blood draws and decided that, while warrantless breath tests are legal, blood draws always require a warrant reqardless of what the implied consent law says.

I knew there was pending litigation regarding implied consent and compelling blood draws (potentially by force) in some states. Thanks for the info, it doesn't really affect me.
Like I said, I don't agree with it and wouldn't do it on principle.
This whole situation was a non-starter because there was no exigent circumstance.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Looks like local prosecutor has asked the FBI for help to investigate the local police.

People are upset about this cop throwing his weight around for a blood sample. Not enough people are asking why he was so adamant to get one. I highly doubt it was because he is such a ego maniac and his boss who told him to do it is an ego maniac too.

I think it is much more likely that they really wanted this blood sample to show drugs or alcohol to limit the police force's liability and they were willing to go to extremes to get it.

I think it is much more likely that they really wanted this blood sample to show drugs or alcohol to limit the police force's liability and they were willing to go to extremes to get it.

This is incorrect. The man was not under suspicion. The motive to get the sample was to clear him. He happened to be an off duty reserve LEO of some sort. The main reason for the detective's behavior seems to be nothing more than his anger at not being obeyed.

Gray is a full-time truck driver who also serves as a reserve police officer in the Rigby, Idaho, Police Department.

In a news release, Rigby Police Chief Sam Tower thanked Wubbels and other University Hospital staffers “for standing firm, and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act.”

Tower added: “It is important to remember that Officer Gray is the victim in this horrible event, and that at no time was he under any suspicion of wrongdoing. As he continues to heal, we would ask that his family be given privacy, respect, and prayers for continued recovery and peace.”

If anyone cares, Gray, who was the victim here has had his condition upgraded from critical to serious.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

This is incorrect. The man was not under suspicion. The motive to get the sample was to clear him.

The guy the cops were chasing ran into this guys truck and killed himself and putting him in the hospital. He has a case against the police force. If he had been drunk or high that would have been used against him in those proceedings.