yoink

Police body cameras

The officer was charged, by the Canadian equivalent if Internal Affairs it appears

No it is actually a separate civilian oversight body.

But you are missing the point. There should be multiple officers charged and/or reprimanded in just that story alone.

I don't condemn the entire profession. I condemn this pervasive notion that officers need to protect each other. I condemn the strong notion that officers do not "snitch" on each other.

of a very few malcontents and losers

Yeah you keep saying that. But that is because you only look at the conviction of perpetrators. Once you widen that circle to anybody who knew but didn't say anything, I'll bet you that group gets significantly bigger.

Again, tens of millions of police contacts, hundreds of thousands of officers in the US and Canada, yet the misconduct rate is very low.

I think the point is that no-one really knows what the misconduct rate is - even the best cops can be pressured to cover up misconduct by the bad ones. And the invesigations are performed by more of their own colleagues. So who knows?

Even in the present day a cop who reports a major violent crime carried out by another cop can be face sustained harrassment for it, and have actual dead rats left on their stuff.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

blue_bert

Minneapolis police are required to switch on their body cameras only during certain encounters, unlike in Los Angeles or Washington DC, where cameras must be switched on for any response to a call for service.
Instead, there are more than a dozen situations in which cameras should be used, according to the police manual, which adds that failure to use the camera could result in job termination.
"If a BWC [body-worn camera] is not activated prior to a use of force, it shall be activated as soon as it is safe to do so," reads the manual.

If this is true, this is idiotic. Technology is supposed to make things easier, not more complicated. If anything, just list situations where it should be OFF, not when it should be ON.

This to me is sort of like having, "turn on the black box" as part of a pilots emergency landing checklist. :S
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I doubt it. It seems to me that ONLY LEO's get up to 48 hours to get their story(s) straight. Every one else goes to the slammer immediately.

Doubt what you want, a pilot gets his union rep and legal representation (in certain situations). A pilot takes off on a closed runway and kills several people and survives, was that intentional? Was he criminally charged?

Doctors kill people by medical malpractice until criminal intent and/or negligence is uncovered during an investigation.

Psstt.........There is that pesky due process thingy, and the 5th Amendment as well. (yes it applies to cops).

I've said this before, do cops get an extra layer of protection in these situations? Yes they do. Because they are exposed to violence and deadly force situations at exponentially higher rates than an average citizen.

I guess Marilyn Mosby should have been able to lock up the cops involved in Freddie Gray case right away?
Same with Darren Wilson, and the Charlotte Officer, and the Baton Rouge officers in the Alton Sterling shooting.
It's because they became political pawns for doing their jobs. That is precisely why there is a Police Officers Bill of Rights in many states.

Unless there is some revelation, this officer will be charged. It looks like this could be a very tragic mistake, a criminal one.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

And for every one of these, there are MILLIONS of contacts successfully transacted, many under difficult circumstances.
The officer was charged, by the Canadian equivalent if Internal Affairs it appears.
The incident in Baltimore showed body cams work, those guys will be charged as well likely by IA.
Again, tens of millions of police contacts, hundreds of thousands of officers in the US and Canada, yet the misconduct rate is very low.
The same can be said of Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots etc. when dealing in misconduct. The difference is one does not condemn an entire profession, for the actions of a very few malcontents and losers.

I agree with all that. As far as it goes. But one bad act can cancel out a lot of good acts. That's what happens when one of those who act responsibly and professionally doesn't speak up against the bad apples. All that evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing. Apparently "omerta" isn't just a cosa nostra thing.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I've said this before, do cops get an extra layer of protection in these situations? Yes they do. Because they are exposed to violence and deadly force situations at exponentially higher rates than an average citizen.

As they should. They have a difficult job, one that sometimes requires violence - so those violent acts are not (and should not be) a cause for an automatic charge of assault, as they would be for most civilians.

By the same token, though, they should be held to a higher standard. The public trusts the police to use their powers to arrest, injure and (on occasion) kill people to preserve the peace and uphold the law. When those powers are abused, the abusers have to be dealt with rapidly and strongly. Nothing erodes confidence in police like a culture of deceit employed to protect bad cops.

Fortunately such cops are rare; they make up a tiny percentage of police. But the damage they do both to the public's trust and the reputation of the police is far larger than that percentage would suggest.

When those powers are abused, the abusers have to be dealt with rapidly and strongly. Nothing erodes confidence in police like a culture of deceit employed to protect bad cops.

I couldn't agree more, this situation most likely isn't an abuse of power, it's a criminally negligent mistake. I highly doubt it was an intentional act, with malice.
The example of the Baltimore officer planting evidence, is an abuse of power. One that deserves the most serious consequences available. Every cop I know would feel the same way.

Just the one cop?

You still don't get it.

I not only get it, I don't just pound a keyboard, I live it.

ANYONE involved in planting evidence, or who has knowledge.

Again, we are basing this judgment on media accounts and an edited video with no audio.

I guess you'd like me jump behind this giant blue line you keep talking about. It may be there, but it's not nearly what you think it is.

skycop

ANYONE involved in planting evidence, or who has knowledge.

Again, we are basing this judgment on media accounts and an edited video with no audio.

That's how that camera system works. It's not edited, it has a rolling 30 second no audio memory that is saved when the cop turns the camera on. Again - you can actually hear the moment when the other guy realises they had forgotten about it and might have fucked up.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The "Land of the Free and the Home Of the Brave" has been become the "Land of the formerly free who learned immense cowardice via right wing controlled media messages"

Pigs get off with blatant murder because "I was in fear of my life", as in, I was SKEEERED so I shot, just like the cowards that trained me learned me to do.

The right wingers are SKEERED of the MOOSLIMs because the media tells them to be. The coward are happy to give up civil rights and privacy cause they're SKEEERED of terrorism.

The gun nuts are especially cowardly. I am SKEEered that something bad might happen. I gotta have a gun ready, just in case. I'm SKEERED, so I'll shoot anything that SKEERS me, like my son who came home early from work. I'm SKEERED,m so I'll shoot my wife who came home sick while I was sleeping.

The land of the free and the home of the brave is long gone.

Minneapolis LEO:

Wroblewski said cops like her feel the margin of safety is narrowing.

"I have never had so many shots fired as in the last what two to five years of my career. It's totally changed the game," she said. "It is off the rails. Our gun culture. Our culture of violence. It's just OK now. And then we have the political culture of, 'It's OK to hate.'"

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/07/25/culture-prompts-some-cops-to-expect-trouble
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Our culture of violence.

This is ultimately the problem. The CDC has offered recommendations to alleviate this problem, but nobody seems to care since those recommendations don't include fucking the white legal gun-toting conservatives that have nothing to do with the problem. . .

>Another bully with a badge. In what world would this ever be a good idea?

Well, look. I think there's blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it. You had a cop on one side that was bad and you had a nurse on the other side that was also very violent. No one wants to say that, but I’ll say it right now: You had a nurse on the other side that came charging in without a warrant and she was very, very violent.

Yea,
I got nothing.......
Unless this dude is an axe murderer, better to subpoena the medical records at a later time.
All this ugliness could have been avoided, I bet the nurse is right, and the pissed off officer is wrong. Good decisions seldom occur when you're angry, the whole being professional thing.
Even so, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

skycop

Yea,
I got nothing.......
Unless this dude is an axe murderer, better to subpoena the medical records at a later time.
All this ugliness could have been avoided, I bet the nurse is right, and the pissed off officer is wrong. Good decisions seldom occur when you're angry, the whole being professional thing.
Even so, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.

Actually, my understanding is that the unconscious man was not at fault in the accident, was an off duty "reserve LEO" of some sort. And was not really suspected of being under the influence. The offending officer was motivated by a desire to be sure to get proof to exonerate him. And of course the manly desire to exert his authority and be a bully.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

skycop

I'd say especially if he's an axe murderer. Nothing worse than a non conviction because process wasnt followed.
In this case however its nothing like that which makes it even more ridiculous. This one makes me angry because I have family members and friends who are nurses and they have to put up with enough (literal) shit and low pay already.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

JerryBaumchen

Hi sky,

the pissed off officer is wrong

I always try to understand that there is more than one side to any story.

From the article: ' . . . but remained on active duty.'

I feel that this is simply wrong. Put him on Admin Leave & then get things sorted out.

Jerry Baumchen

Put his watch commander on leave too. >:(

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/salt-lake-nurse-arrest-video/
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.