yoink

Police body cameras

Not turned on could mean malfunctioning either at the unit or the storage. Not enough info yet.

Which brings up an interesting question, if an officer is equipped with a body cam but for some reason it's not working, should they not go on calls?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

If the officer was told that their gun was not functioning would that officer be allowed to go on a call? What if they were told that their car was unable to run for more than 10 minutes at a time would they be allowed to go on patrol?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If they were still in the car just pulling up, or happened on the scene they may not have been activated.
Whatever the outcome of this, it ain't good.
Body cameras, like every other piece of equipment, have limitations. They are not the end all cure all.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

If they were still in the car just pulling up, or happened on the scene they may not have been activated.
Body cameras, like every other piece of equipment, have limitations. They are not the end all cure all.

The report I've read (and it was on huffpo so who knows) said that she had gone out in her pajamas to talk to the officers in the car, and the officer had shot her in the stomach, through the car door.

If that's the case, it sounds like it has the hallmarks of an ND. Either way, as you say, bad for the officer. What would that be - Manslaughter?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

skycop

Right. I think in the end they will make officer's lives much easier in the courtroom. Lying by perps is the national pastime and dealing with cops 101 taught in jail.

I just can't see this coming out good for LE officers.

Stumpy

***If they were still in the car just pulling up, or happened on the scene they may not have been activated.

The report I've read (and it was on huffpo so who knows) said that she had gone out in her pajamas to talk to the officers in the car, and the officer had shot her in the stomach, through the car door.

If that's the case, it sounds like it has the hallmarks of an ND. Either way, as you say, bad for the officer. What would that be - Manslaughter?

If that's the case, it would be on the car cams, so body cam is irrelevant.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I have some theories about this, but I'll wait to see what the investigations say.
I don't see a good outcome, it sounds like at the very best a horrible/criminally negligent mistake. One of my theories would address that outcome.
We'll see.

On a lighter note, I made two skydives in the last month. First time I've jumped in over ten years. Nice to have my knees back in the breeze...............

From the BBC:

A Minneapolis police officer whose partner shot an Australian woman was "startled by a loud sound" just before the incident, investigators say.
Justine Damond, originally from Sydney, was gunned down after calling police to report a possible crime.
On a police radio recording, an officer mentions fireworks being let off near where the shooting happened.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has said he wants answers from the US over the killing.
"It is a shocking killing, and yes, we are demanding answers on behalf of her family," he told Australian TV.

The shooting occurred as 40-year-old Ms Damond, dressed in her pyjamas, approached the driver's side door to talk to the officer at the wheel after police arrived.
Officer Mohamed Noor, who was sitting in the passenger seat, fired his weapon across his partner and through the driver's side window, striking Ms Damond, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) said.
Officer Noor has refused to speak to investigators and US authorities say they cannot compel him to give a statement.
But the BCA said that Officer Matthew Harrity, who was driving the car, had told investigators that Ms Damond had come towards the car immediately after he heard a loud sound.

After the shooting, the officers are heard on the police radio recording telling dispatchers they are performing CPR and that "no suspects are at large".
State investigators say the officers failed to activate their body or dashboard cameras and both officers have been placed on administrative leave.

Why weren't the cameras on?
Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges and Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman have both raised this question.
Minneapolis police are required to switch on their body cameras only during certain encounters, unlike in Los Angeles or Washington DC, where cameras must be switched on for any response to a call for service.
Instead, there are more than a dozen situations in which cameras should be used, according to the police manual, which adds that failure to use the camera could result in job termination.
"If a BWC [body-worn camera] is not activated prior to a use of force, it shall be activated as soon as it is safe to do so," reads the manual.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau has described Ms Damond's death as "tragic" and called for a quick investigation to provide "transparency".
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman has said he will personally decide whether to charge Officer Mohamed Noor, rather than put the question to a grand jury.
Officer Noor, who has been described by local media as a Somali-American, has been with the police force for two years.
A statement from his lawyer said he had arrived in the US "at a young age" and described him as "a caring person with a family he loves and he empathised with the loss others are experiencing".

Ms Damond, born Justine Ruszczyk, studied to be a veterinarian before relocating from Sydney to the US, where she is believed to have been for at least the last three years.
According to her website, she was a "qualified yoga instructor, a personal health and life coach and meditation teacher".
Speaking in Sydney, her father John Ruszczyk said: "Justine was a beacon to all of us, we only ask that the light of justice shine down on the circumstances of her death."

SkyDekker

So nice of the officer to help the investigation.

Even the police knows that nothing good can come of talking to the police.

I'm waiting for the magic phrase, "I was in fear for my life." That's what seems to get officers acquitted of even the most blatant actions.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

SkyDekker

Don't think you have to wait long.

Officer heard a loud bang, was terrified for his life and fired his weapon to neutralize the perceived danger in response.

Case closed.

Nothing like a middle aged woman in a nightgown walking towards you to make you fear for your life.

mr2mk1g

In fairness she was a filthy immigrant. :|

And a yoga instructor / 'life coach'. You know what those hippies are like. Probably hopped up on reefer and out of control.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

normiss

Crooked Baltimore cops manipulate camera use
The victim here was being held on $50k bail he clearly couldn't afford.

I look forward to the day cops are treated fairly, just like the rest of us, when they commit a crime.

When he says "I'm just going to check here" one of the other scumbags laughs out loud.

When he puts his hands on the 'evidence' one of the other scumbags says "Gee I just remembered, was that 30?" Yes, you corrupt moron, it was:|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

blue_bert

Officer Mohamed Noor, who was sitting in the passenger seat, fired his weapon across his partner and through the driver's side window, striking Ms Damond, the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) said.

Holy shit!!!:o
If I was the cop driving, I would refuse to ever again work with that guy.>:(
Assuming I had enough hearing left to even work as a cop anymore.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And for every one of these, there are MILLIONS of contacts successfully transacted, many under difficult circumstances.
The officer was charged, by the Canadian equivalent if Internal Affairs it appears.
The incident in Baltimore showed body cams work, those guys will be charged as well likely by IA.
Again, tens of millions of police contacts, hundreds of thousands of officers in the US and Canada, yet the misconduct rate is very low.
The same can be said of Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots etc. when dealing in misconduct. The difference is one does not condemn an entire profession, for the actions of a very few malcontents and losers.