airdvr

102 shot, 15 fatally, in Chicago over July 4 holiday weekend

kallend

What does the Bureau of Land Management have to do with it?

Funny. 102 people wounded...15 die and you make a joke. Bet you wouldn't be so sarcastic if you knew any of them.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

What does the Bureau of Land Management have to do with it?

Funny. 102 people wounded...15 die and you make a joke. Bet you wouldn't be so sarcastic if you knew any of them.

Perhaps you should be specific. The only BLM I know is the Bureau of Land management.

Chicago legalizes gun ownership in 2013, Illinois allows concealed carry in 2014, and SURPRISE, the rate of shootings goes up in 2016 and 2017 after decades of decline.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Funny. 102 people wounded...15 die and you make a joke.

Funny. You take a horrendous weekend where 15 people lost their lives, use it to try to score cheap political points, then are OFFENDED! OUTRAGED! when someone doesn't take you seriously.

billvon

>Funny. 102 people wounded...15 die and you make a joke.

Funny. You take a horrendous weekend where 15 people lost their lives, use it to try to score cheap political points, then are OFFENDED! OUTRAGED! when someone doesn't take you seriously.

You really think I'm offended and outraged because someone made a joke? What offends me is groups like Black Lives Matter who crow about race only when it's a white cop shooting a black person. I hear nothing about the violence in Chiraq from them. I guess that makes me a racist.
As such I dismiss their relevance as nothing more than political grandstanding.

Destinations by Roxanne

What offends me is groups like Black Lives Matter who crow about race only when it's a white cop shooting a black person.

Ah, so you figure all of those are blacks killing blacks, which is why BLM doesn't care. After all, blacks have got to be the guilty ones, right?

Now THAT'S pretty offensive.

airdvr

You really think I'm offended and outraged because someone made a joke? What offends me is groups like Black Lives Matter who crow about race only when it's a white cop shooting a black person. I hear nothing about the violence in Chiraq from them. I guess that makes me a racist.
As such I dismiss their relevance as nothing more than political grandstanding.

Then you aren't listening. Or looking.

It doesn't make the major news much, but community leaders have been protesting against the violence for a long time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

What offends me is groups like Black Lives Matter who crow about race only when it's a white cop shooting a black person.

Ah, so you figure all of those are blacks killing blacks, which is why BLM doesn't care. After all, blacks have got to be the guilty ones, right?

Now THAT'S pretty offensive.

Chicago: 75% of Murdered Are Black, 71% of Murderers Are Black

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/chicago-75-murdered-are-black-71-murderers-are-black

I'm not imagining these numbers Bill.

Destinations by Roxanne

jclalor

Just out of idol curiosity, what does Black Lives Matter have to do with Chicago shootings?

Absolutely nothing, which is rather the point.

Black Lives Matter is a racist organization by definition. Any narrative that does not suit their agenda is ignored.

If you want race to be a non-issue, fine with me. Frankly, I consider 'RACIST!' to be on a par with 'NAZI!' from a Godwin perspective.

If, OTOH, race is to be a key defining issue, be careful for what you ask.

It is beyond ironic that one of the major objections by Congress to affording freed slaves citizenship was that they would then be allowed to own guns. The argument went that if had guns, they would shoot anything that moved.

The statistics in Chicago et al. would seem to support that notion.

Phil1111

BLM is an organization that has the sole focus of the deaths of blacks by LE. Be it legitimate, careless or criminal.

The fact that it doesn't address other issues of black on black violence doesn't make it racist.

Nope, the fact that its purpose is focused on race is evident from its name.

I'd rate that as a pretty good clue.

winsor

***BLM is an organization that has the sole focus of the deaths of blacks by LE. Be it legitimate, careless or criminal.

The fact that it doesn't address other issues of black on black violence doesn't make it racist.

So any organization with (a) race being part of of the name defaults it to a racist organization?

winsor

It is beyond ironic that one of the major objections by Congress to affording freed slaves citizenship was that they would then be allowed to own guns. The argument went that if had guns, they would shoot anything that moved.

Well, the Haiti Slave Rebellion in 1791 most likely put the fear into the US slave owners.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

winsor

If you want race to be a non-issue, fine with me. Frankly, I consider 'RACIST!' to be on a par with 'NAZI!' from a Godwin perspective.

You are, of course, aware of the irony?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jclalor

******BLM is an organization that has the sole focus of the deaths of blacks by LE. Be it legitimate, careless or criminal.

So any organization with (a) race being part of of the name defaults it to a racist organization?

Not primarily but yes, if race is a criterion it is racist by definition.

Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on quite who you ask. Racism has paid off handsomely for the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (David Duke is a rank amateur by comparison).

I come here less and less.... it's almost impossible to have a conversation about anything. I guess you could say as the country goes so goes dz.com.

Chicago if you listen to Kallend is much safer than many cities. Blacks killing blacks doesn't matter because of the very very few killed wrongly by LEO.

A REAL DISCUSSION of how things could be made better - not by radical ideas outside of possibility in this country (Zero guns/everyone gets a machine gun) isn't possible here much less the country.

Most everyone here participates ina sport that requires a lot of confidence in personal reaction but otherwise we are nothing more of a community than our country. Split, divided with the only goal but to "win"

What bugs me is when I first started coming here there were people of different views for sure but there was a level of respect in discussion. You could learn what different views thought - maybe change your view.

What really is funny is that I've been jumping 20 years. I'm 20 years older and many people seem to be less and less tolerant of a different view. Maybe in reality I am to.

This thread is just another reason not to come to speakers corner.

Sorry just a off thread rant. Go back to your normally rants
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>Black Lives Matter is a racist organization by definition. Any narrative that does
>not suit their agenda is ignored.

Because they advocate for blacks? Any discussion of a race is racist?

Strange definition - since that would define your post as racist as well.

Let's do a little math. There have been 332 murders to date in Chiraq. Let's assume 70% are black. That's 232 black lives. If you're calling your group Black Lives Matter where would your group want to focus it's attention? Where could you have the most impact? I mean, if you really believe black lives are important.

It didn't take Mark but a few seconds to call me a racist. So we can't have this conversation because we are examining a black group? As long as that attitude continues the problem will only get larger.

Destinations by Roxanne

The NCAA is and was focused on race as well. Making it a racist group by your standard. Too bad there is not a prominant leader like MLK to be assassinated.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

If you compare shootings per capita, St. Louis (and I expect a load of other cities) did not fair any better, perhaps even worse. The common thread is that most people are shot with something called a 'gun'.

But we do not talk about the other cities. Geez, if we could only get rid of all that criminal black element of society in Chicago that is causing all the trouble, the NRA narrative might actually have a leg to stand on.....

Attached map shows where shootings have occurred in Chicago since July 1.

The big cluster is on the "west side", where there is an ongoing gang war. While most of the victims (and pretty much all the perps) are gang bangers, there are also, unfortunately, some victims who are "collateral damage". The overwhelming majority are young males.

There are also neighborhoods where nothing much ever happens beyond someone failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Edited to add: ooops - my screen grab got cut off just north of downtown.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.