riggerrob

Omar Kahdr to receive C$10.5 million settlement

aphid

Widow of U.S. Sgt. Chris Speer launched attempt at asset freeze.

Justice Edward Belobaba said the request for an injunction from the widow of an American soldier killed in Afghanistan was “extraordinary” and the decision to reject it was not difficult in law.

source: http://www.macleans.ca/news/effort-to-freeze-khadr-money-dismissed-by-judge/

The last paragraph in that article: Khadr admitted to throwing the grenade that killed Speer, but later recanted, saying it was only so he could get away from American custody in Guantanamo Bay.

It bothers me that some otherwise reasonable people are outraged that this guy should get a settlement for having his rights stripped from him because he did a very, very bad thing... when the evidence that he did a very, very bad thing comes from a statement he made at a time that he functionally had no rights, and we have no real way of knowing under what circumstances, what treatment or for what reason he made the statement.

That's the fucking rabbit hole you go down when you try and find a nice little legal way to turn define people into non-people. Nothing that happens after that point can be trusted anymore. Nothing that happens after that point counts anymore. You can't flip the switch back the other way and use the stuff you supposedly learned when he didn't have rights to build a case now that he does have rights again.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wolfriverjoe

How in the world can that lawsuit happen?

The initial civil action against (Canadian) Khadr was pressed and adjudicated in the USA. Yet US federal law pre-empted another Canadian (me) from pursuing legal remedy against your government from within my country.

Double-standards are wonderful when they favour only you.

They were soldiers in the US Army. They were invading/occupying a foreign country. They were killing and injuring lots and lots of the opponents.

So one of those opponents hits back. One is seriously wounded, one died.

That's called war.

We send young soldiers to promote and defend our cherished democracies. Sometimes soldiers die.

That doesn't change the very simple fact that the suit never should have made it to court.

Respectfully, give your head a shake, 'cause... 'Murica, fuck yeah!

A military (Canadian) acquaintance of mine said,

"We send armies to defend our country, our democracy and our rights. This is for every citizen. If we take those rights away from even one person, we cheapen all that we fight and die for."

aphid

...We send young soldiers to promote and defend our cherished democracies. Sometimes soldiers die...

...A military (Canadian) acquaintance of mine said,

"We send armies to defend our country, our democracy and our rights. This is for every citizen. If we take those rights away from even one person, we cheapen all that we fight and die for."

It seems that we are far more interested in promoting business interests of the major corporations and generating income for the military-industrial complex than actually promoting democracy and freedom.

But I've gotten really cynical about that stuff in recent years.

And many (not all, but many) veterans I know agree with that sentiment.

While some are vehemently against burning the flag, saying "I put my life on the line for that flag", others have a much better (IMHO) view, saying that they didn't put their life on the line for a piece of cloth, but for the freedom to do and say what one chooses, even rather unpleasant things like burning the flag.

The good old "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi Joe,

saying that they didn't put their life on the line for a piece of cloth, but for the freedom to do and say what one chooses, even rather unpleasant things like burning the flag.

On 26 Dec 59, I took the oath to join the US armed forces. Since then, the oath may have changed & my memory may be a little off. However, I do remember saying that I will give my life in defense of my country. There was no mention of defending a flag, freedom of speech, or anything else.

Jerry Baumchen