airdvr

Justices Strike Down Law Banning Disparaging Trademarks

From the New York Times today

WASHINGTON — In a decision likely to bolster the Washington Redskins’ efforts to protect their trademarks, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that the government may not refuse to register potentially offensive names. A law denying protection to disparaging trademarks, the court said, violated the First Amendment.

Maybe we'll be able to keep our Chief Wahoo logo.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The racist nickname used by the Washington football team was never going to be struck down by the courts anyway. It will be public pressure and financial pressure from advertisers that does it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I recall a case by an intramural sports team against their university, which told them they could not call themselves "the Fighting Whities." They sued and won (IIRC). :D

My own HS is in Idaho, with the mascot "Indians." However, decades ago the school met with the local tribe over the name. Because the intent of the mascot was meant to convey proud, fierce warriors, the tribe agreed the school could keep it. The caveat is that the school must always use respectful, proud imagery, not cartoonish or silly graphics to portray the mascot.

We've had it for nearly 120 years, so changing it at this point certainly would cause some grumblings! However, I'm sure if the tribes requested it, the school would comply.

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

gowlerk

The racist nickname used by the Washington football team was never going to be struck down by the courts anyway.

What an ignorant characterization of the issue. I'm sure glad you live in Canada and don't vote here.

Then you're damn right there nickname was never going to be struck down. Tell me my Canadian friend, who would want to use a name that is a racist characterization of a pro sports team? They usually look for somebody to epitomise cleverness and the ability to fight and win. I can't believe you don't get it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I am part native and I get it. You know nothing of the issue. I'm not going to argue with you about it though. I find it offensive, therefore it is offensive. If I debate it with you I will soon get even angrier about it then I already am. And PAs will soon follow.

North Dakota buckled under the pressure and sooner or later Snyder will too. That is all.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

rushmc

***The racist nickname used by the Washington football team was never going to be struck down by the courts anyway.

What an ignorant characterization of the issue.

Which part? The racist part? The not being struck down by the courts part? I'm assuming you don't mean the "used by the Washington football team" part.

I mean, I don't have a dog (or a care) in this hunt, but: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redskin
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

gowlerk

I am part native and I get it. You know nothing of the issue. I'm not going to argue with you about it though. I find it offensive, therefore it is offensive. If I debate it with you I will soon get even angrier about it then I already am. And PAs will soon follow.

North Dakota buckled under the pressure and sooner or later Snyder will too. That is all.

First off, I don't give people the power to offend me. None of them, not even you have the ability to do that unless I let them.

Second, if you find that offensive than I feel sorry for you. Anybody that thinks that's offensive and meant to be offensive has a problem thinking in the real world in my opinion.

3rd, and claiming I know nothing about the issue is laughable at best. But then I realize most of those on the left think they know more than anybody else and can't understand how anybody doesn't agree with him.

Thanks for making my day!
Abraham Lincoln

Having lived in and around DC most of my life I can attest that the local understanding is that Snyder is an asshole and just doesn't want to spend the money to change the name. The rest of it is just a result of people becoming entrenched and politicized. Everyone agrees that the phrase "Redskin" can be taken as being offensive but don't care enough to get outraged.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I think the name is offensive on its face (pun intended). It does not reference any positive characteristic of Native Americans (Braves, Chiefs). It only references their skin color.

I'm still a fan, and have been for many years. I won't buy any merchandise until they change the name.

And what's more offensive than the name is the shitty micro-management by Snyder. They might have a chance to win if he'd let the professionals do their jobs. Frankly, if/when they let Cousins go, I'm going with him.

- Dan G

Iago

***I am part native and I get it. You know nothing of the issue. I'm not going to argue with you about it though. I find it offensive, therefore it is offensive. If I debate it with you I will soon get even angrier about it then I already am. And PAs will soon follow.

UND asked the Tribes. The Tribes said 'No' so UND dropped the 'Fighting Sioux'.

That's how this should be handled.

As I understand it, 'Sioux' is a pejorative name applied to the tribe that means something along the lines of 'thieving liars.' All the members of the tribe of my acquaintance referred to themselves as 'Lakota.'

In archaic English, 'doodle' was another name for 'penis,' so a 'yankee doodle' was a one given to masturbation. Just because we're cool with the New York Wankers and the like doesn't mean that the Lakota should be similarly self-deprecating.

Rick

***I'm sure we'll see similar things on schools named after Confederate Generals.

yes sir Lee Middle School

In the article it states that the name was picked because they wanted to deter black children from attending. Seems like a good reason to get rid of the name. They high school where I used to coach is called JEB Stuart and I was curious about the naming, looks like it was the same deal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._E._B._Stuart_High_School

UND asked the Tribes. The Tribes said 'No' so UND dropped the 'Fighting Sioux'.

My understanding is that the college athletic system they are involved with applied extreme pressure.

winsor

Just because we're cool with the New York Wankers and the like doesn't mean that the Lakota should be similarly self-deprecating.

I think the Huntsville Honkies has a nice ring to it.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Just because we're cool with the New York Wankers and the like doesn't mean that the Lakota should be similarly self-deprecating.

I think the Huntsville Honkies has a nice ring to it.:D

I always got a kick out of the brand 'Georgia Crackers.'

They're pretty good crackers, and whoever makes them likely has a great sense of humor.

winsor

As I understand it, 'Sioux' is a pejorative name applied to the tribe that means something along the lines of 'thieving liars.' All the members of the tribe of my acquaintance referred to themselves as 'Lakota.'

I kind of thought that was a problem around the world where different cultures meet. Explorer comes along and asks one group, 'Who are those guys in the next valley?'. From then on those people are called the Whatishesaying tribe or the Thievingbunchofgoatfuckers tribe...

DJL

Having lived in and around DC most of my life I can attest that the local understanding is that Snyder is an asshole and just doesn't want to spend the money to change the name. The rest of it is just a result of people becoming entrenched and politicized. Everyone agrees that the phrase "Redskin" can be taken as being offensive but don't care enough to get outraged.

Everyone agrees? You threw the debate away right there.
Don't care enough? Dude that's a new spin on it. My opinion it's got nothing to do with caring but has everything to do with thinking.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Having lived in and around DC most of my life I can attest that the local understanding is that Snyder is an asshole and just doesn't want to spend the money to change the name. The rest of it is just a result of people becoming entrenched and politicized. Everyone agrees that the phrase "Redskin" can be taken as being offensive but don't care enough to get outraged.

Everyone agrees? You threw the debate away right there.
Don't care enough? Dude that's a new spin on it. My opinion it's got nothing to do with caring but has everything to do with thinking.

There's a group of people who say they're offended, everyone knows that. There's a request to change the name because of that, nobody cares enough to do it. What do you think of that?

DJL

******I'm sure we'll see similar things on schools named after Confederate Generals.

yes sir Lee Middle School

In the article it states that the name was picked because they wanted to deter black children from attending. Seems like a good reason to get rid of the name. They high school where I used to coach is called JEB Stuart and I was curious about the naming, looks like it was the same deal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._E._B._Stuart_High_School

yes I found that interesting. Right now the school has a 76% minority enrollment.

Earlier this week they started moving a statue of a confederate soldier "Johnny Reb" from a park in downtown Orlando. They are going to put it back up in a confederate veterans section at a local cemetery. While removing it they found a time capsule that they plan to open in a few weeks.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!