Phil1111

Handguns, Or a Stiff Upper Lip

'Incredibly brave' stabbed police officer fought off attackers armed with just a baton

A British Transport Police officer, who has only been with the force for two years, has been praised for his remarkable bravery in the face of terror.

The man, who remains unnamed, is recovering from his injuries in hospital after he was stabbed during the London Bridge terror attack as he confronted the attackers armed with only a baton.

The officer was one of the first on the scene after he responded to calls for help from the public after a vehicle ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/04/incredibly-brave-stabbed-police-officer-fought-attackers-armed/

'Look at America': Manchester police chief 'proud' UK police don't all carry guns
http://www.smh.com.au/world/look-at-america-manchester-police-chief-proud-uk-police-dont-all-carry-guns-20170530-gwgr5z.html

Phil1111

'Incredibly brave' stabbed police officer fought off attackers armed with just a baton

A British Transport Police officer, who has only been with the force for two years, has been praised for his remarkable bravery in the face of terror.

The man, who remains unnamed, is recovering from his injuries in hospital after he was stabbed during the London Bridge terror attack as he confronted the attackers armed with only a baton.

The officer was one of the first on the scene after he responded to calls for help from the public after a vehicle ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/04/incredibly-brave-stabbed-police-officer-fought-attackers-armed/

'Look at America': Manchester police chief 'proud' UK police don't all carry guns
http://www.smh.com.au/world/look-at-america-manchester-police-chief-proud-uk-police-dont-all-carry-guns-20170530-gwgr5z.html

Yup
If the attackers had been able to get guns this would have ended waaaay differently.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I've talked to a number of military and police friends since the attack about this and they'v all said the same thing.

If they were there on a typical night out and legally carrying a handgun as is possible in the US, but the attackers were armed as well then the incident might possibly have been over sooner, but there would absolutely have been a lot more casualties.

I think that's a pretty fair summary from guys who are trained to use guns in response to stressful situations.

yoink

I've talked to a number of military and police friends since the attack about this and they'v all said the same thing.

If they were there on a typical night out and legally carrying a handgun as is possible in the US, but the attackers were armed as well then the incident might possibly have been over sooner, but there would absolutely have been a lot more casualties.

I think that's a pretty fair summary from guys who are trained to use guns in response to stressful situations.

Business as usual in the USA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

CornishChris

8 mins from first call to all over. Not a bad response. If they had all had access to guns it would have gone down very differently...

I would think so. They might need to review their protocols. This is likely going to happen again. Every minute counts.

tkhayes

The only thing that stops a good guy with a gun is......

... a bad guy with a flame thrower.

Frankly, for someone whose goal is to become a martyr the prospect of being shot dead on the spot is not much of a deterrent.

OTOH, if bobbies used tasers, and terrorists were summarily subjected to sex change as part of due procedure, it might give them pause.

winsor

OTOH, if bobbies used tasers, and terrorists were summarily subjected to sex change as part of due procedure, it might give them pause.

The invoice for my replacement keyboard will be following forthwith.

Similar punishments include threatening to wrap them in pig-skin before sending them to Allah.
Hah!
Hah!
In case my previous remark sounds anti-Islamic ...... I must clarify by saying that I fear religious extremists from any faith. I believe that religious war is the worst sin.