DJL

Paris Accord: The King Speaks at 3PM

Oh what will The King decide? What we do know is that it doesn't matter what he knows about the agreement or the environment, this is a matter of popularity. On one had there's Rex Tillerson who thinks we should stay in, on the other hand there's the anti-environment (GW deniers) who want us out. This sets the stage for the moments that Trump loves the most, the world waiting with bated breath for him to speak. I'm sure we'll hear a little about his great campaign and what he's done for the country and at the end the deciding factor regarding the words coming out of his mouth are what will give the best ending to the show he's created.

Tune in to the Rose Garden, today 3PM. {Dramatic music}

Rush, #4 is for you.:P
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I expect Trump to remove us from the Paris Accords. This will only be temporary until then next administration comes along.

CO2 build-up in the atmosphere is a long-term problem that will take 100 or more years to play out. If the US is out of some accord for 8 years, that is unfortunate, but we as individuals can still make the choices we want.

In my personal opinion anyway we are doing the wrong things to limit carbon emissions. While more wind farms are nice idea, it is just play around at the edges of the problem. If we are serious we need to replace all the coal power plants with 3rd generation nuclear power plants.

That and give incentives for people to drive hybrid/electric cars and put solar panels on roof, with a Tesla-like power wall for home level storage of power.

Out is the obvious answer.

An out gives Trump:

1) Center stage for posturing and grandstanding
2) The ability to say 'fuck you, you can't tell me what I should be doing' to the international community
3) An easy win on fulfilling one of his campaign promises which he can point to in the weeks to come
4) And doesn't require any understanding of the science or a reliance on people who understand more than he does

all of which appeal to his vanity.

Staying in on the other hand doesn't really give him anything. He slightly mollifies a bunch of people who don't like him and aren't going to vote for him anyway, while simultaneously irritating the supporters he does have.
Keeping the status quo is a far less sexy statement than bucking the trend.

So we'll be out because it satisfies Trump's ego and need for image much more than any real facts, discussion or thought might do.
Get used to that - it's the way policy will be made for the next few years.

normiss

Support for Trump’s impeachment rises to 43%, or according to Betsy DeVos, over half of American.

Let's not move too quickly on the Betsy Devos jokes, I'm still getting mileage on the thing about bears and guns in school. I wonder if she just panicked and thought "um...we need the right to bear arms in schools....um... OOH BEARS!!"
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

That just comes across as being a whiny little bitch.

The answer to the president not taking your advice isn't to quit in a huff. You keep trying and while you might not make a big difference you might make some... THAT is what a leader does.

I'm not a huge fan of this decision, but treaties are one of the powers granted to the President by the Constitution.

Trump has pulled a LOT of bullshit, but strangely this is not something I can -legally- quibble over.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

yoink

That just comes across as being a whiny little bitch.

Why? He said he would do it, and he did it. He's better at sticking to his word than Trump is.

The answer to the president not taking your advice isn't to quit in a huff.

Why not? If it gets to the point where all your presence is doing is adding credibility to a politician who fundamentally disagrees with you on the issues you hold most dear and who will never listen to you, why would you stay?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

quade

I'm not a huge fan of this decision, but treaties are one of the powers granted to the President by the Constitution.

Trump has pulled a LOT of bullshit, but strangely this is not something I can -legally- quibble over.

I don't think the issue is the legal authority to make the decision. Rather, leaving aside for the moment the question of whether it is the right decision based on the science, it is as blunt a declaration as one could imagine that the word of the US is worth nothing. The US is a completely undependable partner, where every agreement is fair game to be torn up after the next election. The US is a liar. What country will invest years in negotiating any agreement about anything if they know that the word of the USA is worthless? After this (and the TPP) no-one will trust the US to keep their word about anything.

Don