jclalor

Trump's severed head

normiss

Like these ways?

Equally ignorant and despicable. Two wrongs don't make a right. But honestly, both examples are protected as free speech, as they should be.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

normiss

Until the comments are threats, I agree.

Agree. She didn't make a threat, so her behavior should have no government sanctions. That being said, freedom of speech should pertain to the governments reaction to that speech only.

I think other private citizens and private businesses should act accordingly (excluding threats or violence) based on how they view her actions.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

normiss

CNN is reporting they have severed their agreement with Kathy Griffin to appear on the New Year's Eve program.

This is a current problem with how some interpret the 1st Amendment.

Companies have every right to terminated contracts with talent if the talent becomes an issue for the image of the company. I'm not saying I agree with it in every case, but I can understand it in this one.

That's less of a free speech issue and more of a company embarrassment issue. It is almost certainly something in their contract.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

jclalor

Lame cry for attention. She's just trying to make headlines for a little bit, ride out the negative backlash, apologize and then she'll be back to her normal terrible show.

Ha, as I was typing this I got a press alert that CNN cut ties with her. I hope she
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Lame cry for attention. She's just trying to make headlines for a little bit, ride out the negative backlash, apologize and then she'll be back to her normal terrible show.

No. It wasn't even her idea. It was the photographer's and she went along with it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kathy-griffin-holds-a-fake-bloody-trump-head-new-photo-shoot-1008645
quade -

quade

***CNN is reporting they have severed their agreement with Kathy Griffin to appear on the New Year's Eve program.

This is a current problem with how some interpret the 1st Amendment.

Companies have every right to terminated contracts with talent if the talent becomes an issue for the image of the company. I'm not saying I agree with it in every case, but I can understand it in this one.

That's less of a free speech issue and more of a company embarrassment issue. It is almost certainly something in their contract.

When a show has advertisers pull out because of a controversy involving guests or hosts on the show, that's going to be a problem for the company producing the show, and they'll react and take action as needed.

normiss

Like these ways?

To be fair, 8 of those pictures are of the same person. He's some nutbag who was trying to start a "National Burn Obama's Effigy" day or some BS.

Good for him for not being an "Ape in heels" then?
There were plenty of effigies of Obama being hung by a rope, most recently at Trump events even.
Even the physical assault of a reporter or narcing out the protestors to ICE when you disagree with them were perfectly fine and acceptable to some.

This is nothing new for either end of the spectrum, just a choice of which flavor of hatred is considered accepted by which spectrum.

Gotta agree with Bill's comment as well. I've been in corporate America for work for almost ever, and I truly understand the associated risk of exercising any constitutional rights while employed by a corporation.

normiss

Good for him for not being an "Ape in heels" then?
There were plenty of effigies of Obama being hung by a rope, most recently at Trump events even.
Even the physical assault of a reporter or narcing out the protestors to ICE when you disagree with them were perfectly fine and acceptable to some.

This is nothing new for either end of the spectrum, just a choice of which flavor of hatred is considered accepted by which spectrum.

Gotta agree with Bill's comment as well. I've been in corporate America for work for almost ever, and I truly understand the associated risk of exercising any constitutional rights while employed by a corporation.

Yeah, I was just responding to idea that the picture shows it as "wide-spread" when most pictures where one event. However, there were definitely many more out there. I looked it up when this thread came up and found this guy. He made a video of the whole thing with some guest speakers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxjPHAg0T64

Crazy as fuck, is all I can say.

normiss

Where did mutual respect for humans go????

Hold on. Did that ever actually exist? I mean, it sort of feels like it should have, but I'm trying to think of a time when that was ever universally true (or even just in the US); where somebody wasn't being burned in effigy (or in actuality) by some group.
quade -

quade

***Where did mutual respect for humans go????

Hold on. Did that ever actually exist? I mean, it sort of feels like it should have, but I'm trying to think of a time when that was ever universally true (or even just in the US); where somebody wasn't being burned in effigy (or in actuality) by some group.

Up until the last 5 or so years I'd have said we're better now than we've ever been before.

Adjusting to the new era of instant mass communication has knocked us back a peg or two, but although the adjustment period may be painful, it will hopefully be fairly brief, and the path of progress will resume.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

She gave a very heartfelt apology on the airwaves. Said she had pushed the line as a comedienne and then stepped over it. She was more truthful in her apology than most politicians... I respected her tone and demeanor. It's a shame that CNN pulled her after that apology.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

normiss

Like these ways?

This just plays into the conservatives hands, it's been nice watching Trumps unceremonious plunge from grace, but this doesn't help. idiot Tea Billies hanging an effergy of Obama is one thing, Gifford should have know better.