adventurechick

Canopy in the Bag.....

I can flake the canopy, lay it down, and even close it (with the help of a man for the closing part).... but getting the damn canopy in the bag... never happens. I will seriously spend an hour on refolding the canopy and getting it in.

So any good tips on getting the canopy in the damn bag??

I refuse to pay the 6 bucks for packing, I will pack my canopy on my own... it just takes me a bit of time.

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

this brings in two trains of thought.

Either pack it correct or don't pack it at all.

Best method is to pack it correctly. Without knowing where you are having the most problems its hard for me to say here exactly without seeing. Have a instructor/ rigger oberve you and help you see exactly the area..

But it can also be you have too much bulk in the canopy when folding...
Remove as much as as possible... if it helps then get some large clips to assist in holding the canopy together.. Just be sure to put a big flag on them so as not to pack them in the bag.

Practice, practice, practice....

It does take time. if you have alot of bulk then it mostly is air.. keep your folds as best as you can and tight to not let them rise again and then put the corners into the D-bag one at a time then the other side ..then slide the whole thing in.. Once you have the locking stows in step on the d-bag to remove the rest of the bulf (this is redistrubute it)....then it should fit nice into the container...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

If you ever get out to Skydive Space Center, ask Allen (the packer) to show you the method he showed me today. He puts the canopy in the bag starting at the top of the canopy and working down. It works great!!

I already know how to PRO pack and flat pack but this method he has is the hot ticket. I have great openings also.:)
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

1) Do it in stages. Make the top fold and put that in the bag first. Then make the bottom fold and tuck it into the center while you hold the bag between your legs. Gives you more control.

2) Try psycho packing. It can give you a slightly easier to control result.

3) If it's slippery ZP, spray _very_lightly_ with water (or just use a slightly damp towel) and pack on carpeting. Carpeting is bad for canopies, but after the canopy gets a little less slippery it will get easier to pack and you won't need carpeting.

here is something that worked for me...

When making the first fold keep the lines tightly wrapped with the tail and slide the whole flattened canopy towards the container. This will give you alittle slack in the lines between the canopy and the container.

Then complete the folds on the canopy. Take the canopy and carefully pick it up keeping it under control and place it on the flap of the bag. Now just slide it into the mouth of the bag.

I found this easier because when I tried to slide the corner of the bag around the canopy I would lose control of the other side of the canopy.

Don't know if this makes sense... it is hard to describe... But it has helped me and quite a few others.

try not to think in terms of "putting the folded canopy into the bag",,,,,
..think in terms of "Pulling the bag Over and Around the folded canopy"
Much in the same way that a magician pulls the tablecloth out from under all the china and silver ware ,,,,
I have found that you can "yank the bag" Under and over the stacked canopy..
Get the folded canopy under control, place a knee on it and then situate the bag with the grommets down....
Use Both hands on what would be the underside of the bag,
grabbing the bag near the locking stow grommets (sp) ...Keep one knee on the stacked canopy,, with light pressure...
Then in one quick move,,, yank the bag Under the stack,,, letting up with your knee as needed,, just enough to let the bag pull far enough under AND over the canopy, to encase most of it, Tuck the rest of the material into the upper corners of the bag,,,, and tug on the grommet flap,, to complete the 'encasing of the canopy'... then stand the bag on the end where the bridle exits it, and finish by doing up your two main locking stows....
dress off the rest, by tucking any canopy material into the bag and then do up the rest of your stows,,,,, Of course, be sure that the canopy size AND the D bag size/container size are compatible...
try it .. it has worked really well for me...:)skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends
jmy

try not to think in terms of "putting the folded canopy into the bag", think in terms of "Pulling the bag Over and Around the folded canopy"

Jimmy, you're the man! I was just about to post the same advice.

My further advice: Keep your knee on the center of the canopy while you do this and don't remove it until you absolutely must in order to push the final bit of canopy into it.

Could you explain more on 'carpeting is bad for canopies'?
I've never heard this before and am interested.
What is the best platform to pack on if not carpet?
Thanks!

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I always psycho pack my Sabre2 and haven't had a problem with doing it that way. I know it's not the preferred method that the manual says but both John LeBlanc and Scott Miller told me that if it's working for me then it is fine to continue doing it. It's SO much easier for me than a pro pack, especially with a fairly new canopy.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I had similar problems especially with a new zero-P. Patience helps, don't rush it. But ultimately the best move I made was psycho packing, don't be fooled by the name, basically it's roll up bagging. Everything else is the same.

Here it is with pictures.

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/canopies/Omega/packing.htm

It's much easier and the canopy stays small and in control when I stuff it in the bag. It's much safer for me because I'm not screwing around with it endlessly as my lines move and my slider slips around. Make sure you stay patient and squeeze the air out as you go even with roll bagging.

Warning NEWB Talking!!!!!

I have a still fairly new canopy that does not like to go into the bag...he are some pointers I picked up from some really good packers and riggers at my DZ and here on DZ.com

Once cacooned ...take control of the loose fabric on top of the cacoon..gather it and squish the remaining air out...pull it all together with your left hand and keep it there.....take your right hand and reach underneath the cacoon about 2/3's of the way up...gather it up and continue to squish the air out..(D bag and P/C should be ready at this point!)....by taking a grip on the canopy in this fashion you should be able to keep it from reinflating once you get off it to make your initial folds...start by folding almost in half...then left hand folds the top part back on itself....take control with knees and shins and remove your hands....now put the bag over the folded portion of the canopy by pullng the flap under and working the canopy into the bag......now stand the bag up and take the choke point of the cacoon with the lines and slider and stuff(reverse S fold) into the bag with the rest of the canopy....stow lines :)
Warning...this has been typed by a NEWB...always consult your instructors before taking anyones advise!!!!!!

A lot of what Billvon says, especially putting it in the bag in two operations. Also, I contain the top end of the parachute when s- folding it by putting my right hand underneath and "pinching" the right and left side of the canopy together underneath as I fold it back towards me. That cuts down on the miserable spreading out of your pack job as you s-fold it. Then a quick knee to hold it whle you slip the bag on, one corner, then the other. I then s-fold the bottom of the canopy into the middle of the bag and walk the closing flap down with my knuckles.

It's nice having big hands for all that.;)