RonD1120

Hypermasculinity & the Conceptual Penis, a Study

This academic paper has dealt with the current problem as, IMO, manifested in the MSM.

We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations. The conceptual penis presents significant problems for gender identity and reproductive identity within social and family dynamics, is exclusionary to disenfranchised communities based upon gender or reproductive identity, is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change.
An explicit isomorphic relationship exists between the conceptual penis and the most problematic themes in toxic masculinity, and that relationship is mediated by the machismo braggadocio aspect of male hypermasculine thought and performance. A change in our discourses in science, technology, policy, economics, society, and various communities is needed to protect marginalized groups, promote the advancement of women, trans, and gender-queer individuals (including non-gendered and gender-skeptical people), and to remedy environmental impacts that follow from climate change driven by capitalist and neocapitalist overreliance on hypermasculine themes and exploitative utilization of fossil fuels.

http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/conceptual-penis/23311886.2017.1330439.pdf
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

This academic paper has dealt with the current problem as, IMO, manifested in the MSM.

We conclude that penises are not best understood as the male sexual organ, or as a male reproductive organ, but instead as an enacted social construct that is both damaging and problematic for society and future generations. The conceptual penis presents significant problems for gender identity and reproductive identity within social and family dynamics, is exclusionary to disenfranchised communities based upon gender or reproductive identity, is an enduring source of abuse for women and other gender-marginalized groups and individuals, is the universal performative source of rape, and is the conceptual driver behind much of climate change.
An explicit isomorphic relationship exists between the conceptual penis and the most problematic themes in toxic masculinity, and that relationship is mediated by the machismo braggadocio aspect of male hypermasculine thought and performance. A change in our discourses in science, technology, policy, economics, society, and various communities is needed to protect marginalized groups, promote the advancement of women, trans, and gender-queer individuals (including non-gendered and gender-skeptical people), and to remedy environmental impacts that follow from climate change driven by capitalist and neocapitalist overreliance on hypermasculine themes and exploitative utilization of fossil fuels.

http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/conceptual-penis/23311886.2017.1330439.pdf

I have no idea what point you are trying to make, but it appears that the published has withdrawn the article:
https://www.cogentoa.com/article/10.1080/23311886.2017.1330439

This article has been withdrawn and the authors have been notified. We are currently carefully examining the process that led to its publication and will provide more detail on this in the coming days. Please check back here for more information.

Link still works for me.

But still,

The Skeptics Society is a nonprofit, member-supported organization devoted to promoting scientific skepticism and resisting the spread of pseudoscience, superstition, and irrational beliefs

Emphasis mine.

But publishes a 'paper' written by an algorithm that ties together random buzzwords....

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/19/hoax-science-paper-says-penis-social-construct-worsens-climate-change-11302

A new team of hoaxers has struck again, this time in the journal Cogent Social Science. Even though the authors have already admitted to their hoax in the magazine Skeptic, the journal apparently is unaware. The paper is, for the time being, still available

:D:D:D:D

Directly attributed to the authors:

We assumed that if we were merely clear in our moral implications that maleness is intrinsically bad and that the penis is somehow at the root of it, we could get the paper published in a respectable journal.

edited to attach paper

yoink

Link still works for me.

But still,

The Skeptics Society is a nonprofit, member-supported organization devoted to promoting scientific skepticism and resisting the spread of pseudoscience, superstition, and irrational beliefs

Emphasis mine.

But publishes a 'paper' written by an algorithm that ties together random buzzwords....

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/19/hoax-science-paper-says-penis-social-construct-worsens-climate-change-11302

A new team of hoaxers has struck again, this time in the journal Cogent Social Science. Even though the authors have already admitted to their hoax in the magazine Skeptic, the journal apparently is unaware. The paper is, for the time being, still available

Cogent Social Science is the journal which published the hoax article, Skeptic magazine is where the authors detail their hoax:
http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/conceptual-penis-social-contruct-sokal-style-hoax-on-gender-studies/

shit. You're right.

My brain is fried.

Don't read cogent social science is the lesson of the day! I'm actually curious if the reviewing editor actually reviewed the paper at all.
Doesn't look good on his peer review resume!

You quote and link to a hoax article and seem to think it indicates something profound?

Next you'll be telling us that you have an invisible friend in the sky.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When I learned of this hoax on the radio yesterday I thought it was acutely hilarious. I decided to share it with SC for some relief from the misery of President Trump's election.

I do find it interesting that the academic journal did not recognize it for its absurdity on the first review. They asked for more examples, reviewed it again and then published it.

One of the main sources the authors cited is:

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/

This website will provide a different page each time it is reloaded.

It makes me ponder the question, are these academics the people that are teaching our children?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

It makes me ponder the question, are these academics the people that are teaching our children?

People make mistakes. Admitting them and learning from them is what matters. If they can do that, then indeed I hope those are the people who are educating my children.

I would far prefer that over somebody teaching my kids an imaginary man in the sky made the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th.

RonD1120

When I learned of this hoax on the radio yesterday I thought it was acutely hilarious. I decided to share it with SC for some relief from the misery of President Trump's election.

And for some reason I thought you were trying to make a subtle point.

RonD1120

I do find it interesting that the academic journal did not recognize it for its absurdity on the first review. They asked for more examples, reviewed it again and then published it.

One of the main sources the authors cited is:

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/

This website will provide a different page each time it is reloaded.

It is academics who wrote the hoax article, academics who point out the problem with predatory journals, academics who analyze the peer review process and work to improve it, academics who go after academics when they act unethically. And the community as a whole accepts this as a problem. No one argues, for example, that publishers should continue this practice because it helps young scientist get publications and advance their careers.

Many religious communities on the other hand seem quite happy to make excuses for all kinds of immoral and unethical acts, and protect people doing them, as long as it agrees with their agenda.

SkyDekker

***Notice how quickly this thread drifted to an attack on Christianity and religion.

Preferring my kids get a science education from an academic over a cleric is not an attack on religion.

True, your's was specific towards the Judeo-Christian belief.

This hoax was particularly amusing because I and a classmate did something similar in a graduate business course.

We were enrolled in some sort of management analysis class. The professor was a woman named Margaret who held a PhD. Her instruction was boring and seemed to lack any real substance. At the end of the term she broke us up into two-man teams. We were given some analytical problem and we were instructed to present a ten page paper on the problem and its appropriate solution.

My teammate and I were totally lost. We did not have a clue how to handle this assignment.

I decided to make an appointment with her for a conference. When I explained our dilemma she exploded in an outburst of anger. She chastised me for seeking advice on the assignment.

Needless to say my opinion of her went to less than zero.

My friend and I thought about it, decided we were screwed and conceived a ten page paper complete with statistical analyses that measured absolutely nothing. We presented it to the class along with a couple graphs or pie charts.

When we were finished there was no discussion from anyone in the class including the professor.

As we left the classroom one student came up to me and said, “That was total bullshit.”

I looked him in the eye and said, “You bet.”

The esteemed PhD graded the paper as a B.

What I learned, and it was a solid lesson, was definitely outside the parameters of the course description.

Imagine what the professor thought of the two students who didn't learn anything.

Some of the most challenging MIT classes I suffered through required a minimum of 100 hours per week studying.
Without challenging the professors for further explanation.

normiss

Imagine what the professor thought of the two students who didn't learn anything.

Some of the most challenging MIT classes I suffered through required a minimum of 100 hours per week studying.
Without challenging the professors for further explanation.

An old saying, if the student did not learn, the instructor did not teach. Maybe you've heard it before. It was fairly popular in sport parachuting circles some years back.

Interactive discourse between teacher and student is an integral part of the learning process and is a benefit to both.

An old saying, if the student did not learn, the instructor did not teach.

I also heard something about bringing a horse to water and forcing it to drink...or something like that. At least we have that in Texas, don't know about Georgia mountains.

>Interactive discourse between teacher and student is an integral part of the learning
>process and is a benefit to both.

Agreed.

But every once in a while you get the 100 jump wonder who simply cannot hear what you are saying. They can fly their tiny canopy just fine no matter what you say, and any advice you give them is ignored or mocked. And sometimes you just do your best and hope that they learn on their own. Most do without too much damage.

An after thought on that experience at grad school. I changed my major from business to rehab counseling. It became apparent to me that I wanted to become a listener and try to help others in distress. It was a very good decision. The Lord has blessed me.