billvon

Trump leaks classified information to Russia

SkyDekker

what on earth are you talking about - this is a Trump thread.

Then why did you bring up Clinton?

you were the first to mention Clinton

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

what on earth are you talking about - this is a Trump thread.

Then why did you bring up Clinton?

you were the first to mention Clinton

Pretending you didn't allude to Clinton before he did, or that you're unaware of the crossover conversation you're both engaged in on the other thread is rather odd. Worse, it's Trumpian:D

It's really hit a nerve that people are seeing through your overblown neutrality schtick, hasn't it?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

http://www.bbc.com/...d-us-canada-39937258

Didn't even take that long...

'Trump defends absolute right to share facts with Russia'.

Obama has declared that since he was President when Hillary's email was hacked that it's his decision that none of the material is classified and it's OK if anything was shared with Russia.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

And the source of the classified information that Trump gladly handed over to the Russians is . . . Israel. That's a mistake they won't make again.
=======================
Israel Said to Be Source of Secret Intelligence Trump Gave to Russians

By ADAM GOLDMAN
MAY 16, 2017

WASHINGTON — The classified intelligence that President Trump disclosed in a meeting last week with Russian officials at the White House was provided by Israel, according to a current and a former American official familiar with how the United States obtained the information. The revelation adds a potential diplomatic complication to the episode.

Israel is one of the United States’ most important allies and a major intelligence collector in the Middle East. The revelation that Mr. Trump boasted about some of Israel’s most sensitive information to the Russians could damage the relationship between the two countries. It also raises the possibility that the information could be passed to Iran, Russia’s close ally and Israel’s main threat in the Middle East.

. . . .

In the meeting with the Russian ambassador and foreign minister, Mr. Trump disclosed intelligence about an Islamic State terrorist plot. At least some of the details that the United States has about the plot came from the Israelis, the officials said.
=============================

Edit to add - it's already happening. From CNN:

===============================
US allies taken aback by intel sharing revelation
Zachary Cohen
Updated 3:39 PM ET, Tue May 16, 2017

The revelation that President Donald Trump reportedly disclosed highly sensitive information to Russian officials is raising questions among some allied intelligence agencies about the security of details they share with their US counterparts.

"It's a big deal, and we want to make sure sensitive information is handled properly," a European diplomat told CNN, adding that the country represented by the diplomat would not cut communications with the US entirely but could potentially reassess what information is transmitted at the political level.
================================

So we are going to lose intelligence sources due to Trump's handing over secrets to the Russians.

Elections have consequences.

SkyDekker

perhaps if he put it on a private server and let it leak in a more organic way.....(

This referred to whom then?

Didn't take you to be this intellectually dishonest.

you guys aren't so obtuse as to not recognize wry sarcasm - unless it fits your narrative

I'm out. waste of time

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

you guys aren't so obtuse as to not recognize wry sarcasm

Right, it's everyone else's fault again. It must be tough being so misunderstood.

I'm out.

Mean it this time? Because you said 'bye' a while ago but you're still here...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rehmwa

perhaps if he put it on a private server and let it leak in a more organic way.....(

you guys aren't so obtuse as to not recognize wry sarcasm - unless it fits your narrative

I'm out. waste of time

It was written as passive aggression rather than sarcasm, and it was disappointing to see.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

rehmwa

I'm out. waste of time

I could see the humour in what you were doing. Don't stop it adds a lighter perspective to the conversation and it's funny seeing how people on both sides are so polarised.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Israeli intelligence officers are “boiling mad and demanding answers” after President Trump reportedly shared classified information from Israel with Russia, according to a new report.

Two Israeli intelligence officers confirmed to BuzzFeed Tuesday that Israel had shared specific intelligence with the U.S. about Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) plots to smuggle explosive laptops onto planes.

"We have an arrangement with America which is unique to the world of intelligence sharing," one intelligence officer told BuzzFeed. "We do not have this relationship with any other country."
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/333670-israeli-intelligence-boiling-mad-at-trump-report

The official Israel response give that trump will be in Israel this week.

"‘Israel has full confidence in our intelligence-sharing relationship with the United States’"

Former Mossad chief: Alleged Trump slip to Russia could be 'grave violation'

Danny Yatom, the former director of Israel's spy agency, cautions of the impact of revealing classified information after reports of Trump sharing intel with Russia.

If Monday night’s Washington Post report that US President Donald Trump recently revealed classified information to Russia is true, it would be a “grave violation” of intelligence sharing protocol and “could lead to harm to the source,” former Mossad director Danny Yatom told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

Yatom said he did not know if the reports of giving away an ally’s information were true “and I don’t know from where, I don’t know if it was from Israel,” but “if someone gives the US very sensitive information…it is prohibited to give the information to a third party – for sure not to Russia who has ties with Iran and Syria.”

The former Mossad director added that, “if the information is sensitive, it can harm the security of the intelligence source or lead to other damage.”

Regarding the Trump administration’s statements denying the sharing any intelligence methods or sources, he said “sometimes damage is caused from the content of the revelation, even if he does not say the methods and sources.”
http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Former-Mossad-chief-warns-Trump-of-dangers-of-loose-lips-490882

Yeah, I could see the humor too. And the pointing out that it really isn't hard for some to see a parallel, even where others might not.

It's not all facts, folks. Opinions enter, too. We can save all-facts-all-the-time (aka "no spin zone") for Fox News :):ph34r::P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's the sign of a clueless goober who has no idea that he is not, in fact, lord of the manor.

Personally, I really hope Trump resigns before he's impeached. And in retrospect, I think Ford did the right thing in preemptively pardoning Nixon. Sure didn't at the time, but we did get on with business more, and Ford was a reasonably honorable person who really seems to have thought that public service was more about the public than him.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Seen on Twitter:

Trump says he can release the most classified data anytime he chooses,
but can't release his tax returns due to an "audit."

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

SkyDekker

Personally, I really hope Trump resigns before he's impeached.

I don't. The US needs a strong CEO to lead the country.

Well....as a liberal progressive person, I would rather see 4 years of Trump's bumbling ineffectiveness than watch Pence/Ryan efficiently pursuing their right wing agenda. Except of course for that whole CinC thing. That's an awfully powerful toy for an incompetent man to be given as a plaything.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>Personally, I really hope Trump resigns before he's impeached.

I have a feeling that someday soon Jared will discover the 25th amendment and find a way to get Trump to resign without really resigning. That way Trump's ego is spared, the country is a bit better off and Trump's staff preserve their sanity.

And if Trump refuses, there's a way to do it involuntarily - his staff just have to agree to it.

>Headline: "Vladimir Putin says can prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets"

Because nothing says you're not in bed with the Russians like having them come to your rescue against the Senate and House.

I guess at this point they are getting worried they're going to lose their president . . .

rushmc

Another shark jumped based on none other than a Washington com-Post "report". Way to go Bill:D

And in another thread you wrote:

rushmc

But nothing appears more dumb than this story about leaking to the Russia ambassador. Been flatly denied by 2 people in the meeting and you're going to go with Anonymous sources buy a newspaper whose owner hates Trump. You go Bill you go.

While there's a whole thread on that topic, I'll reply here to you. I'm not expecting to change your mind, but to use it as an example of an evolving story where it is hard to pick out the truth:

Being an outsider, I thought, hey, maybe you have a point. There's a sensational news article about a big leak, then a couple of high officials -- not just the liar-in-chief -- clearly state that there was no leak. So yeah maybe it is a matter of degree, perhaps that details were discussed (entirely legally) in the meeting that were more sensitive than some in the room expected, and thus shocking them. This led to a news story by people who are not likely to think favorably of Trump.

With only that information, I can see there are doubts about it being a big scandal rather than just a little kerfuffle about what information to hide versus reveal in diplomatic talks.

But then I also see things like this from Slate.com about the denials:

That’s because Trump, McMaster, Tillerson, and Powell have carefully avoided saying anything that contradicts the Post story in a way that can be checked. Putting the names of public officials on such slippery nondenials doesn’t make them more credible than the Post’s reporting. It’s just another way of avoiding accountability.

Slate listed a series of specific claims in the Post story, each of which could be considered.

Trump “revealed the city in the Islamic State’s territory where [a] U.S. intelligence partner detected [a] threat.” (This revelation “jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.”)

What Trump revealed is “code-word information,” a top-level category of intelligence.

The information “had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement.”

This partner “had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia.”

[...]

After the meeting, in an attempt at damage control, Trump’s assistant for homeland security and counterterrorism, Thomas Bossert, “placed calls to the directors of the CIA and the NSA.”

“One of Bossert’s subordinates also called for the problematic portion of Trump’s discussion to be stricken from internal memos and for the full transcript to be limited to a small circle of recipients.”

Several of these claims have been repeated by officials who spoke anonymously to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, BuzzFeed, and CNN, among others.

So the strong but general and broad denials are not entirely satisfying, whatever the actual events and interpretation may be.

billvon

>Headline: "Vladimir Putin says can prove Trump did not pass Russia secrets"

Because nothing says you're not in bed with the Russians like having them come to your rescue against the Senate and House.

I guess at this point they are getting worried they're going to lose their president . . .

Yup, they know exactly what they're doing. And coming from the guy who takes it upon himself to investigate the deaths of his political opponents.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Today's statement from Trump:

"Just so you understand, I never mentioned the word or the name 'Israel.' Never mentioned it during that conversation. They were all saying I did. So you had another story wrong. Never mentioned the word 'Israel'."

No, actually, no one claimed that Trump mentioned Israel. It is nice of him to confirm that the classified information he handed over to the Russians did come from Israel, though.

Coming up next:

"Look, I never said that I fired Comey because I hated him. It was because of that fake Russia thing, not because I didn't like him. So there's yet another thing you all got wrong."