Phil1111

Over the Line?

‘Trump’s mouth is only good as Vladimir Putin’s c*ck holster’: Colbert brutalizes Trump in 2-minute blitz

Stephen Colbert on Monday defended fellow CBS host John Dickerson against Donald Trump after the president told the renowned journalist he refers to the (award-winning) news program “Face the Nation” as “Deface the Nation.”

“Donald Trump, John Dickerson is a fair-minded journalist and one of the most competent people who will ever walk into your office,” Colbert began during his opening monologue on “The Late Show.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/trumps-mouth-is-only-good-as-vladimir-putins-cck-holster-colbert-brutalizes-trump-in-2-minute-blitz/

Personally I think so.

Colbert is the late nite show that I watch. Since starting a regular monologue on trumps latest idiotic actions. he has taken over the #1 spot for US late night comedy shows. Deservedly so. trump acted like a complete idiot, as usual, in the CBS Dickerson interview. Absolutely an embarrassment for a president.

Having said that i thought I would have to clean out my ears when I heard that line from Colbert.

Having said that i thought I would have to clean out my ears when I heard that line from Colbert.

Hmmm...CBS is broadcast TV, not cable. Things certainly have changed over the years in regard to censorship by networks on behalf of the FCC. There may well be fallout from this.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

As of a Supreme Court case in 1976, the FCC is only allowed to monitor for indecent or profane content from 0600-2200 when there is a reasonable risk that children may be in the audience. Since Oliver's show airs at 2300, he only has to worry about his network & advertisers.

It fits well with the increasing lack of civility from all sides.

People are less informed, less principled, less open to countervailing opinions.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

It fits well with the increasing lack of civility from all sides.

People are less informed, less principled, less open to countervailing opinions.

Which is totally opposite to how I thought the internet would change society about 15 years ago.
I honestly believe the internet is one of the most important inventions mankind has ever made - it's up there with the wheel and fire for me.

The free, almost limitless access to information, news, training, opinions, education made me think that there was no excuse for people to be ignorant any more - we'd have a much more informed, rational society.

Instead, with no training on how to parse good information from bad, the prevalence of deliberately manipulative data and the huan habit of gravitating towards information that you already have a bias for all seem to have made society progress in the opposite direction.

Like you said, the western world seems to be getting more ignorant, less informed and more insular. My hoped for social Renaissance was dead on arrival. [:/]

yoink

***It fits well with the increasing lack of civility from all sides.

Which is totally opposite to how I thought the internet would change society about 15 years ago.
I honestly believe the internet is one of the most important inventions mankind has ever made - it's up there with the wheel and fire for me.

The free, almost limitless access to information, news, training, opinions, education made me think that there was no excuse for people to be ignorant any more - we'd have a much more informed, rational society.

Instead, with no training on how to parse good information from bad, the prevalence of deliberately manipulative data and the huan habit of gravitating towards information that you already have a bias for all seem to have made society progress in the opposite direction.

Like you said, the western world seems to be getting more ignorant, less informed and more insular. My hoped for social Renaissance was dead on arrival. [:/]

this

and that

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yes, over the line. We don't speak of our President like that even if we'd pay money to see every woman he's sexually assaulted get a chance at kicking him in the nuts.

In the end we're making ourselves look bad as a country by eroding the image of our Commander in Chief.

By the way, I wonder how many servers the NSA has working at smoking hot speeds because everyone talks so much shit about POTUS on the internet.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

"But Obama, nasty.
Pocahontas!
Lyin' Ted!
Crooked Hillary!
Congrats on that Purple Heart!
Mocking the disabled."

So criticize him on those things; he deserves such criticism.

Name-calling such as mentioned above does nothing to advance the cause of rational discussion. To put it another way, lowering yourself to his level doesn't help.

yoink

***It fits well with the increasing lack of civility from all sides.

Problem with the internet is, you get all kinds of news on it, good, bad, accurate, fake, etc. As well as 3 or 4 differing viewpoints depending on each site's political leaning.

This. Be the person you want others to be. Don't engage with the people who try to drag you down to their level, or engage only when they're engaging at a level that you can tolerate.

Works in SC to some extent, too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In the end we're making ourselves look bad as a country by eroding the image of our Commander in Chief.

That particular ship sailed ages ago. He erodes his own image every single time he opens his mouth. As Colbert said, he is a "Disgrace to the Nation."

I watched the entire clip and while those are not words I would choose or use, it was hilarious and not at all inaccurate. It would have perhaps been "over the line" on a Sunday morning news show but on a late night comedy show? Fair game.

DJL

Lol, trust me Trump is doing that all by himself. The global credibility of the US government is plunging right now. Any US media that doesn't sugar coat their assesment of the basic competence of the Trump administration is actually raising the stock of the US as a whole, tbh.

Funny, I was just thinking the other day that the Republicans spent years proclaiming that Obama was ruining the global prestige of the US (when he was actually extremely popular in many countries around the world) but now they have a president who is being openly laughed at and has foreign diplomats baffled and embarrassed at his behaviour (the German foreign minister recently said he was disturbed at how much the Trump dynasty was behaving like a royal family) they haven't said a goddamn thing.

Who'da thunk it?;)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

"But Obama, nasty.
Pocahontas!
Lyin' Ted!
Crooked Hillary!
Mocking the disabled."

Name-calling such as mentioned above does nothing to advance the cause of rational discussion. To put it another way, lowering yourself to his level doesn't help.

If your election has shown anything is that rational discussion will lead to absolutely nothing. The only way for him to get elected is for millions and millions of Americans being absolutely fine with that level of discourse and to be "on that level".

DJL

With all due respect, Mr. Colbert's words neither modified nor amplified foreign perceptions of the President.

To believe otherwise illuminates your many citizens myopia to the world outside your borders.

SkyDekker

***"But Obama, nasty.
Pocahontas!
Lyin' Ted!
Crooked Hillary!
Mocking the disabled."

If your election has shown anything is that rational discussion will lead to absolutely nothing. The only way for him to get elected is for millions and millions of Americans being absolutely fine with that level of discourse and to be "on that level".

Elections aren't won on policy. They're won on emotion. Fuck facts. Lie if it sounds good - there won't be any repercussions.
B|

aphid

*** In the end we're making ourselves look bad as a country by eroding the image of our Commander in Chief.

With all due respect, Mr. Colbert's words neither modified nor amplified foreign perceptions of the President.

To believe otherwise illuminates your many citizens myopia to the world outside your borders.[/quote

Oh I know that man is digging his own grave, we just can't get in the habit of helping out CIC look like a baffoon even if it's his fault that he's such a fucking baffoon. Believe me, when the next President who comes through gets publicly insulted everyone will just say, "Well, that's no different than how everyone treated the last President."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Yes, over the line. We don't speak of our President like that even if we'd pay money to see every woman he's sexually assaulted get a chance at kicking him in the nuts.

By the way, I wonder how many servers the NSA has working at smoking hot speeds because everyone talks so much shit about POTUS on the internet.

that would be a whole bunch of Women if you are talking about Clinton!!!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

I won't disagree with the name calling, yet the Office gets the respect, not the person currently shitting in it.

Did you see that latest Washington Post poll that where the headline showed his approval number in the low 40's?

But the second to last paragraph of that same story shows that Trump would win the popular vote against HRC today?

He has got respect. Live with it:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***I won't disagree with the name calling, yet the Office gets the respect, not the person currently shitting in it.

Did you see that latest Washington Post poll that where the headline showed his approval number in the low 40's?

But the second to last paragraph of that same story shows that Trump would win the popular vote against HRC today?

"You owe me a keyboard"

:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rushmc

The fact that Hillary has and deserves less respect than Donald does NOT mean Donald has a measureable level of respect compared to any actual human.

just because 0.0000001

as for 40% approval - ....
40% approves anyone without a D next to their name
40% approves anyone without a R next to their name
it continues to be meaningless when it's just a conditioned response

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants