aphid

Vive La Différence

I wondered when we were ever going to use the MOAB. Have had it in our arsenal for like 14 years or so.

Finally used it on those ISIS pukes. Took out a cave system IIRC.

Would have been nice to have had it ready when Osama Bin Laden was on the run in that area in 2001-2002.

nolhtairt

Would have been nice to have had it ready when Osama Bin Laden was on the run in that area in 2001-2002.

You used 15,000lb Daisy Cutters back then and didn't get him. Mostly because we never really knew where he was. Wishful thinking to say an 18,000lb MOAB would have made the difference.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

kallend

If IS fighters were in caves, I wonder why they didn't use the GBU-57

I was wondering the same thing, sorta. I'd like to see the rationale for using an above-ground-level detonation rather than a ground penetration. Comparison might make an interesting PBS Special...

muff528

I was wondering the same thing, sorta. I'd like to see the rationale for using an above-ground-level detonation rather than a ground penetration. Comparison might make an interesting PBS Special...

If they can get it to explode right inside an entrance, the pressure wave from the air blast could propagate through the entire tunnel system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xREme2D3xDA

AlanS

If they can get it to explode right inside an entrance, the pressure wave from the air blast could propagate through the entire tunnel system.

This might be video from the actual event. It is near Achin which is just across the board from Pakistan, and also not too far from Jalalabad.

It looks like a smaller explosion happens just before the larger one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xVTy3fXB3Y

AlanS

Thought it might be something like that. But to make a single large "open-air" detonation worthwhile, they must have been reasonably sure that that particular cave network was fairly extensive and connected. I'd imagine that a ground-penetration bomb would mostly just collapse tunnels in a more localized (but maybe a still pretty large) area. Don't know.

yoink

Because they didn't want to blow $7m on a publicity stunt?

Apparently 36 IS fighters were killed. Not sure this was a good return on investment.

On previous day it seems we killed 18 friendlies in an air attack on Tabqah

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

AlanS

True, but it would leave the tunnels essentially intact and re-usable. A ground penetrating bomb would likely collapse the tunnels, like the Tallboy did to the Saumur tunnel in 1944.

kallend

True, but it would leave the tunnels essentially intact and re-usable. A ground penetrating bomb would likely collapse the tunnels, like the Tallboy did to the Saumur tunnel in 1944.

Yeah, I'd think that making the tunnel system useless would be more important than killing 36 fighters. Also, how would you know how many people are in the tunnel system at a given time. Seems a bit early have an accurate damage assessment when you can't see inside. Maybe not.

kallend

Apparently 36 IS fighters were killed. Not sure this was a good return on investment.

I read elsewhere that there were about 800 IS fighters in the area. 36 Ain't bad and certainly those buried below ground can't be counted.

I'm surprised by the publicity this has generated. The biggest conventional bomb ever deployed by the US was 43,000 lbs from a B-36. In WW-2 Britain used 12,000 lb bombs regularly to attack German battleships and sub pens.

In Vietnam tear-gas powder was used for denying the enemy the use of tunnels. Once spread into the tunnel any movement by a person would stir it up. Plus regular CS tear gas which was pumped into tunnels.

I'll give President Trump credit for giving the military the freedom of action vr. micromanagement from the Pentagon, Washington, etc. by politician lawyers.

Each MOAB costs around $16 million, according to military information website Deagel. With 20 made so far, the site says the U.S. military has spent some $314 million on the production of the explosive.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/what-we-know-about-the-mother-all-bombs-that-was-dropped-on-afghanistan.html

Phil1111

I read elsewhere that there were about 800 IS fighters in the area. 36 Ain't bad and certainly those buried below ground can't be counted.

I'm surprised by the publicity this has generated. The biggest conventional bomb ever deployed by the US was 43,000 lbs from a B-36. In WW-2 Britain used 12,000 lb bombs regularly to attack German battleships and sub pens.

The Tirpitz was sunk by a Tallboy (12,000 lb bomb). The RAF also deployed the 22,000lb Grand Slam.

Phil1111

Each MOAB costs around $16 million, according to military information website Deagel. With 20 made so far, the site says the U.S. military has spent some $314 million on the production of the explosive.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/what-we-know-about-the-mother-all-bombs-that-was-dropped-on-afghanistan.html

Alternatively, maybe they only cost $170K: https://twitter.com/ValerieInsinna/status/852925507687546881
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Considering it has no engine, thats allot better price.

Its getting better all the time. Price dripping and effectiveness rising.

The number of ISIL fighters killed after the United States' army dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb was at least 90, Afghan officials said on Saturday, raising a death toll of 36 reported a day earlier...

"We pulled out 90 dead bodies of fighters who lived underground in those tunnels and caves for years, operating and planning attack across the country."..

An elderly man who lives close to the bombing site in Achin's Momand Dara area told the AFP news agency the blast was so piercingly loud that his infant granddaughter was experiencing hearing loss...

The Taliban armed group, which is expected to soon announce the start of this year's fighting season, also denounced the bombing.

"Using this massive bomb cannot be justified and will leave a material and psychological impact on our people," the armed group said in a statement.

ISIL has made inroads into Afghanistan in recent years, attracting disaffected members of the Pakistani and Afghan Taliban as well as Uzbek fighters

But the group has been steadily losing ground in the face of heavy pressure both from US air raids and a ground offensive led by Afghan forces.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/afghanistan-scores-isil-fighters-dead-moab-raid-170415071056526.html

Amazing, the direction this thread went. Oh wait, not so amazing.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms