brenthutch

Dr StrangeHarpper or: How I Learned to Stopped Worrying (About Global Warming) and Love CO2

kallend

Clearly you have no idea how science works.

Perhaps not John but I know human nature. The environment has been a political football as long as I've been alive. Every decade or so someone comes along and says the sky is falling.
Completely irrelevant stuff snipped

So you admit that you really have no idea how science works.

That is, of course, quite apparent from your posts.

Doesn't mean I'm wrong. :P
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>Anything that becomes this large is mostly out of control and loaded with waste.

EPA budget - $8.1 billion
DOD budget - $598 billion

If the EPA is out of control and wasteful due to its size - and needs to be cut - then the DOD needs to be cut 75 times more urgently.

airdvr

Clearly you have no idea how science works.

Perhaps not John but I know human nature. The environment has been a political football as long as I've been alive. Every decade or so someone comes along and says the sky is falling.

I'm glad there is talk of cutting the EPA budget. It's become an overgrown pig...

You mean the "sky is falling" like...

Rivers and lakes so polluted that they started on fire?

Acid rain?

The hole in the ozone layer?

Airborne lead from leaded gasoline?

Use of pesticides to the point that many bird species were on the way to extinction?

I won't argue that there is some level of hyperbole and overreaction, but there have also been some pretty serious issues that have been mitigated.

Air pollution in Major cities is one example.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Acid rain?

Use of pesticides to the point that many bird species were on the way to extinction?

I won't argue that there is some level of hyperbole and overreaction, but there have also been some pretty serious issues that have been mitigated.

Don't bother. Scott walks out his back door onto a golf fairway. I doubt he gives two shakes about plants and birds and shit.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Acid rain?

Don't bother. Scott walks out his back door onto a golf fairway. I doubt he gives two shakes about plants and birds and shit.

Let me make sure I've got this right...I live on a golf course so I must not care about the environment?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

skinnay

His views match my personal observations. (Other reports, common sence,following the money)

Could you elaborate on "follow the money"? I'm curious what kind of scheme you believe exists that would make scientists across the world devote their lives to a big lie.

government grants are the easy ones that come to mind.

How many $'s do you think went to MIT in the last 4 years?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>You and they are group three.

Cool. I am comfortable standing with MIT against climate change denial.

Actually you are standing with a few at MIT but don't let that change anything.
Abraham Lincoln

Let me make sure I've got this right...I live on a golf course so I must not care about the environment?

I'm just making light. I don't think golf courses equate to nature hating. We do way worse with city pavement creating dead zones and heat islands.

rushmc

***>You and they are group three.

Cool. I am comfortable standing with MIT against climate change denial.

Actually you are standing with a few at MIT but don't let that change anything.

Are we having trouble finding sources that are not on the payroll of groups like the Heartland Institute? I know we've talked about how scientists are lining their pockets with government grants by faking results so I'm looking for those independent researchers who prove them wrong.

rushmc

"A combination of changes in forcing, uptake of heat by the oceans, natural variability and incomplete observational coverage reconciles models and data. Combined with stronger recent warming trends in newer datasets, we are now more confident than ever that human influence is dominant in long-term warming."

I notice you do this pretty often in your posts - post an article to "prove" your point (on climate change, or the risks of coal, or Trump's superiority) only to discover later that the text in the article actually disproves your point. At first I assumed that you would google "proof that climate change is fake" and just post the link to the first article that appears on your screen, not reading the article in the interests of speed.

But on occasion (as in this thread) you've demonstrated that you read at least a little of it. So the question is - why would you so often miss the point of the articles you post? You've done so recently with articles on climate change, articles on the Trump/Comey controversy and articles on the health risks of coal.

Then I got to thinking - in all cases the text that disproves your point occurs more than 140 characters into the article. And with many of your talking points coming from Trump's tweets, you may have become habituated to stopping after that much material. (Excepting Trump's rare more-than-140-character thoughts, of course.)

This makes me wonder if this is becoming a big "thing" out there. People who don't really want to read long, boring, exhaustive articles on the issues may be gravitating towards Trump due to his lack of analysis/support/rationale behind his thoughts - and his communication style is both suited to these people and it reinforces the "media sound bite" method of discussion. It certainly seems that way both here with your posts and in the public discussion in general.

It also makes me wonder if long posts (like this one, way over 140 characters) are the wrong way to discuss issues with Trump supporters. Maybe getting 140 characters of very condensed facts at a time out there is the way to go. Will try that.

rushmc

His views match my personal observations. (Other reports, common sence,following the money)

Could you elaborate on "follow the money"? I'm curious what kind of scheme you believe exists that would make scientists across the world devote their lives to a big lie.

Ok so "government grants" and "MIT was given money". Does this explain how 99% of the world's scientists have become involved in a global scheme to create a fraudulent scientific sector? Surely there must be more to this. Help me understand, please?

skinnay

Ok so "government grants" and "MIT was given money". Does this explain how 99% of the world's scientists have become involved in a global scheme to create a fraudulent scientific sector? Surely there must be more to this. Help me understand, please?

Those melting glaciers are in on the scam too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, damn. Looks like a global threat is threatening our protection against a global threat.

You'd think they'd protect it so that it doesn't need pumps and electricity, you know that stuff that gets knocked out by a global catastrophe.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a26581/melting-permafrost-floods-seed-vault/

billvon

Crybaby alarmists! It never happened!

OK maybe it happened but it wasn't climate change.

OK maybe it was climate change but it will all be good. After all, seeds need water; any idiot knows that.

The best you have ever self desribed your position.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Crybaby alarmists! It never happened!

OK maybe it happened but it wasn't climate change.

OK maybe it was climate change but it will all be good. After all, seeds need water; any idiot knows that.

The best you have ever self desribed your position.

He's just trying to save keystrokes at this point.

From WaPo comes a report on the increase in rate of sea level rise. Only one thing to do - censor the information!
==============================
Scientists say the pace of sea level rise has nearly tripled since 1990
By Chris Mooney May 22
WaPo

A new scientific analysis finds that the Earth’s oceans are rising nearly three times as rapidly as they were throughout most of the 20th century, one of the strongest indications yet that a much feared trend of not just sea level rise, but its acceleration, is now underway.

“We have a much stronger acceleration in sea level rise than formerly thought,” said Sönke Dangendorf, a researcher with the University of Siegen in Germany who led the study along with scientists at institutions in Spain, France, Norway and the Netherlands.

Their paper, just out in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, isn’t the first to find that the rate of rising seas is itself increasing — but it finds a bigger rate of increase than in past studies. The new paper concludes that before 1990, oceans were rising at about 1.1 millimeters per year, or just 0.43 inches per decade. From 1993 through 2012, though, it finds that they rose at 3.1 millimeters per year, or 1.22 inches per decade.

The cause, said Dangendorf, is that sea level rise throughout much of the 20th century was driven by the melting of land-based glaciers and the expansion of seawater as it warms, but sea level rise in the 21st century has now, on top of that, added in major contributions from the ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica.

“The sea level rise is now three times as fast as before 1990,” Dangendorf said.
============================
Donald Trump orders Environmental Protection Agency to delete all climate change information from its website

Andrew Griffin
The Independent Tech

The Trump administration is forcing the Environmental Protection Agency to delete all of its pages on climate change.

The move comes as part of a much broader crackdown on postings by all agencies who track the effects of global warming on the environment. All of those organisations – as well as others, like the National Parks Service – have been banned from talking to the public by the US government.

Now scientists are scrambling to save some of the most important parts of the EPA's website before they are deleted off the internet entirely.

"If the website goes dark, years of work we have done on climate change will disappear," one official told Reuters soon after the order to shut down the website was sent.
======================

DJL

The polar bear population has been on a rise for the last 40 years, they are considered a threatened species and may begin to lose numbers because of the loss of sea ice. That's where that lays.

This is why alot of people don't trust AGW. Your statement could be said about any subject. Human population has been on the rise but we are considered a threatened species because of Global Thermonuclear War.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, that's a fairly disjointed statement. Most professionals in the field of polar bear study state that they risk habitat loss because of the loss of sea ice which may cause their numbers to dwindle. Polar Bears ARE listed as threatened because of that. Loss of Artic sea ice isn't theoretical, it's already happened. The discussion of global warming vs AGW has nothing to do with that reality.

As a nuke war, well, at least when I woke up yesterday I didn't see that as a real threat.

Wow

Just wow:S:S

Anyway

the Arctic ice extend did not even come close to setting a new low.....

https://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

The polar bear population has been on a rise for the last 40 years, they are considered a threatened species and may begin to lose numbers because of the loss of sea ice. That's where that lays.

This is why alot of people don't trust AGW. Your statement could be said about any subject. Human population has been on the rise but we are considered a threatened species because of Global Thermonuclear War.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, that's a fairly disjointed statement. Most professionals in the field of polar bear study state that they risk habitat loss because of the loss of sea ice which may cause their numbers to dwindle. Polar Bears ARE listed as threatened because of that. Loss of Artic sea ice isn't theoretical, it's already happened. The discussion of global warming vs AGW has nothing to do with that reality.

As a nuke war, well, at least when I woke up yesterday I didn't see that as a real threat.

Wow

Just wow:S:S

Anyway

the Arctic ice extend did not even come close to setting a new low.....

https://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/

I'm glad you're caught up from 5 months ago but I'm sorry, what's your point?

Edit: Anyway, in other news: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/24/russian-tanker-sails-arctic-without-icebreaker-first-time

>the Arctic ice extend did not even come close to setting a new low.....

It was the eighth lowest ever recorded.

Remember how badly you got burned by your "there's only one problem with global warming - it ended in 1998!" post? You're setting yourself up for that again.

billvon

>the Arctic ice extend did not even come close to setting a new low.....

It was the eighth lowest ever recorded.

Remember how badly you got burned by your "there's only one problem with global warming - it ended in 1998!" post? You're setting yourself up for that again.

And the sea ice volume was the 4th lowest ever.

No trend to be seen on ">this graph:

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.