Russiagate

Priebus starts getting very careful about how he words his denials:
=============
Priebus: Reports of Trump campaign-Russia contact 'exaggerated'

By Madeline Conway
Politico
02/17/17

. . .
Asked if he could say for sure that there were no contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia, Priebus couldn’t, instead offering, “I don’t represent the campaign,” before repeating that the reports are exaggerated.
=============

Good practice for the investigation. "I cannot say for sure that there was no contact, and I can't say for sure whether I was aware of any."

And more denials:
=====================
Contradicting Trump on Russia: Russian Officials

By MATTHEW ROSENBERG
FEB. 20, 2017
NYT

WASHINGTON — For months, President Trump and his aides have insisted that they had no contact with Russian officials during the presidential campaign, a denial Mr. Trump repeated last week.

“I have nothing to do with Russia,” he told reporters on Thursday. “To the best of my knowledge, no person that I deal with does.”

The denial stands at odds with statements by Russian officials, who have at least twice acknowledged contacts with aides to Mr. Trump before the election.

. . .
The dispute began two days after the Nov. 8 election, when Sergei A. Ryabkov, the Russian deputy foreign minister, said his government had maintained contacts with members of Mr. Trump’s “immediate entourage” during the campaign.

“I cannot say that all, but a number of them maintained contacts with Russian representatives,” Mr. Ryabkov said during an interview with the Interfax news agency.

Mr. Ryabkov’s comments were met with a swift denial from Hope Hicks, a spokeswoman for Mr. Trump and now a member of the White House press team.

More recently, Russia’s ambassador to Washington, Sergey I. Kislyak, told The Washington Post that he had communicated frequently during the campaign with Michael T. Flynn, a close campaign adviser to Mr. Trump who became the president’s national security adviser before resigning from the position last week.

“It’s something all diplomats do,” The Post quoted Mr. Kislyak as saying, though he refused to say what subjects they discussed.

Mr. Trump and his aides denied any contacts occurred during the campaign.

“This is a nonstory because to the best of our knowledge, no contacts took place, so it’s hard to make a comment on something that never happened,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a White House spokeswoman, said on Monday.

The Russian government did not respond to a message over the weekend seeking comment.

Separately, The New York Times and other news outlets reported last week that Trump campaign advisers and other associates of Mr. Trump’s had repeated contacts last year with Russian intelligence officials. Those reports, citing anonymous current and former American government officials, were vigorously denied by the White House.

On Thursday, Mr. Trump made clear his annoyance when questioned about contacts with Russia.

“How many times do I have to answer this question? Russia is a ruse. I have nothing to do with Russia,” he said during a White House news conference.
=========================

"I am not a crook!"

It was telling that the FBI gave closed door briefings to the Senate late last week. Then a day later the Senate instructs the WH to preserve all e-mails and information with regards to Russian contacts.

There is the nuance where the FBI decided not to pursue charges against Flynn.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/17/politics/comey-russia-senate/

Without sidetracking this tread too much:

"A CIA analyst who had worked at the intelligence agency since 2006 has quit, citing an inability to serve President Donald Trump's administration "in good faith."

"Despite working proudly for Republican and Democratic presidents, I reluctantly concluded that I cannot in good faith serve this administration as an intelligence professional," wrote Edward Price, a former spokesman for the National Security Council, in an op-ed published in The Washington Post on Monday.

Price described his journey from being a dedicated CIA operative to the moment where he submitted his formal resignation as being driven by his growing unease with Trump's lack of respect and trust for U.S. intelligence agencies."
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/21/cia-analyst-quits-saying-he-cannot-serve-trump-administration-in-good-faith.html

>It was telling that the FBI gave closed door briefings to the Senate late last week.

Yep. Looks like the investigation is gathering steam.

======================
Trump’s Russia scandal takes an unexpected turn
02/20/17 01:02 PM—Updated 02/21/17 01:28 PM
By Steve Benen
MSNBC

On Friday afternoon, FBI Director James Comey delivered a classified, hour-long briefing to the Senate Intelligence Committee on the Russia scandal, and soon after, the Senate Intelligence Committee sent “formal requests to more than a dozen organizations, agencies and individuals, asking them to preserve all materials related to the committee’s investigation” into the controversy.

We don’t know much about how the briefing went – committee members were tight-lipped following Comey’s presentation – though Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) tweeted late Friday that he’s “now very confident” that the committee will conduct “thorough bipartisan investigation” into Russia’s “interference and influence.”

Reading between the lines, this makes it sound as if the Republican-led panel is trying to knock down the idea that a special select committee is necessary to investigate the scandal without political interference.

A day later, Reuters reported that the FBI is pursuing “at least three separate probes” related to Russian intervention in American politics, “according to five current and former government officials with direct knowledge of the situation.” Two of three, according to the report, relate to alleged cyber-crimes, while the third is the ongoing counter-espionage probe.

. . .

A week before Michael T. Flynn resigned as national security adviser, a sealed proposal was hand-delivered to his office, outlining a way for President Trump to lift sanctions against Russia.

Mr. Flynn is gone, having been caught lying about his own discussion of sanctions with the Russian ambassador. But the proposal, a peace plan for Ukraine and Russia, remains, along with those pushing it: Michael D. Cohen, the president’s personal lawyer, who delivered the document; Felix H. Sater, a business associate who helped Mr. Trump scout deals in Russia; and a Ukrainian lawmaker trying to rise in a political opposition movement shaped in part by Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort.

The “Ukrainian lawmaker,” in this case, is Andrii Artemenko, who’s allied with Putin’s government.

According to the Times’ reporting, Cohen, Trump’s personal lawyer, claims he received a sealed envelope from Felix Sater, a controversial figure in Trump’s orbit, and Cohen delivered the envelope to Michael Flynn before his resignation.

According to the Washington Post’s reporting, however, Cohen had a different version of events: he met with the president at the White House, but never dropped off any documents.
===========

Trump is getting scared. He just demanded that the FBI deny the Russiagate stories whether or not there was any truth to them. What is he afraid they will find?
==============================
FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

By Jim Sciutto, Evan Perez, Shimon Prokupecz, Manu Raju and Pamela Brown, CNN

Updated 8:21 PM ET, Thu February 23, 2017

Washington (CNN)The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN.

But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate.

White House officials had sought the help of the bureau and other agencies investigating the Russia matter to say that the reports were wrong and that there had been no contacts, the officials said. The reports of the contacts were first published by The New York Times and CNN on February 14.
===============================

Clearly no staff with operational neurons. Did they really believe that the FBI would quit.

They know the FBI has recordings because of Flynn. They know Paul Manafort had contacts.

They don't know when to talk, when to shut up and to have the brain in gear before either option is acted upon.

The Curious Case of Paul Manafort
The former Trump campaign chairman may have been the victim of a blackmail plot.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/paul-manafort-blackmail

billvon

Trump is getting scared. He just demanded that the FBI deny the Russiagate stories whether or not there was any truth to them. What is he afraid they will find?
==============================
FBI refused White House request to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories

By Jim Sciutto, Evan Perez, Shimon Prokupecz, Manu Raju and Pamela Brown, CNN

Updated 8:21 PM ET, Thu February 23, 2017

Washington (CNN)The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN.

But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate.

White House officials had sought the help of the bureau and other agencies investigating the Russia matter to say that the reports were wrong and that there had been no contacts, the officials said. The reports of the contacts were first published by The New York Times and CNN on February 14.

More fake news. But this is a DNC talking point to the low information voter, I'm sure this will fail and the DNC will pull something else out of their collective asses and the MSN will put on the knee pads and service the DNC as usual.
===============================

SkyDekker

And now CNN, New York Times and POlitico were blocked from attending a White House off camera press briefing (so called Gaggle)....

Only Trump friendly media allowed...

Tell me its not SO...well I guess NBC,CBS, ABC, Washington Post can feed them some crumbs.

Channman

***And now CNN, New York Times and POlitico were blocked from attending a White House off camera press briefing (so called Gaggle)....

Tell me its not SO...well I guess NBC,CBS, ABC, Washington Post can feed them some crumbs.

Some of them boycotted the briefing in sympathy.

SkyDekker

******And now CNN, New York Times and POlitico were blocked from attending a White House off camera press briefing (so called Gaggle)....

Well since they get their talking points from the DNC, I'm sure their suffering will be short lived. Or maybe they can write something from one of the so called Unnamed Sources and business as usual.

Channman

*********And now CNN, New York Times and POlitico were blocked from attending a White House off camera press briefing (so called Gaggle)....

Well since they get their talking points from the DNC, I'm sure their suffering will be short lived. Or maybe they can write something from one of the so called Unnamed Sources and business as usual.

I am sure you don't see the irony in Trump using an unidentified source moments later in his "speech".....

Probably don't even understand it.

I am sure you don't see the irony in Trump using an unidentified source moments later in his "speech"..... Probably don't even understand it.

That was COMPLETELY different! He said his name - "Jim" - so that's not anonymous at all. Heck, it might even be a real person.

billvon

I am sure you don't see the irony in Trump using an unidentified source moments later in his "speech"..... Probably don't even understand it.

That was COMPLETELY different! He said his name - "Jim" - so that's not anonymous at all. Heck, it might even be a real person.

Are you sure he didn't mean he heard it at the gym?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Don't be silly;
Does this look like the physique of a guy who works out at the gym?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Don't be silly;
Does this look like the physique of a guy who works out at the gym?:|

"Donald Trump’s campaign released a statement from his personal physician Monday asserting that the real estate mogul’s “physical strength and stamina are extraordinary” and his recent lab tests results were “astonishingly excellent.”

“If elected, Mr. Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency,” wrote Dr. Harold Bornstein, who said that he has been Trump’s personal physician since 1980.

Claims that his physical report was authored by trump were vehemently denied by his personal physician, Kellyanne Conway, Phd, MD, MS,F.A.C.E.P. ,F.A.A.D.,F.S.T.S.,F.A.C.C.P. etc.,etc.

SkyDekker

And now CNN, New York Times and POlitico were blocked from attending a White House off camera press briefing (so called Gaggle)....

It is now a badge of honour to be on the excluded list. Your journalism cred can never be complete without a Trump banishment. When will NPR get their chance to shine?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Trump administration sought to enlist intelligence officials, key lawmakers to counter Russia stories
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-sought-to-enlist-intelligence-officials-key-lawmakers-to-counter-russia-stories/2017/02/24/c8487552-fa99-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Even Republicans are calling for an investigation now:

=================
Russia-US Relations: Republican Rep. Darrell Issa Asks Special Prosecutor To Investigate Trump-Putin Links

By Shreesha Ghosh
02/26/17 AT 7:44 AM
International Business Times

A prominent Republican Congressman, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, said Friday that a special prosecutor should be appointed to investigate the alleged Russian hacking of the U.S. elections and also whether any of President Donald Trump's campaign associates had contacts with Russian officials.

Speaking Friday night on "Real Time with Bill Maher" show, Issa said that an investigation should also be carried out by the Senate and House intelligence committees because Jeff Sessions might be biased on certain levels and that would not lead to a proper probe.

"You're right that you cannot have somebody, a friend of mine, Jeff Sessions who was on the campaign and who is an appointee. You're going to need to use the special prosecutor's statute and office," Issa said.
====================

Issa is worried about his seat:

Finally, the suburban San Diego 49th District went from 52-46 Romney to 51-43 Clinton. But while Democrats spent heavily against the hated Rep. Darrell Issa, he still pulled off a thin 50.3-49.7 win against Democrat Doug Applegate, who has already announced he's running again in 2018.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/12/27/1613342/-Seven-California-GOP-representatives-hold-Clinton-congressional-districts