2 2
billvon

Russiagate

billvon

And Paul Manafort, Trump's former campaign chairman,. . . .

Trump is already saying "Paul who? He didn't really work for me that much." Which likely means no pardon for this criminal.

Wasn't he just the coffee boy?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>The other is to set things up so that email can be preserved and gone back over in case
>of investigations.

Agreed.

From what I have experienced using DoD systems, it is more likely to be preserved on a commercial server than on a government server.

kallend

***And Paul Manafort, Trump's former campaign chairman,. . . .

Trump is already saying "Paul who? He didn't really work for me that much." Which likely means no pardon for this criminal.

Wasn't he just the coffee boy?

No, that was Corey Lewandowski. Manafort didn't really have even that much involvement, from what people tell me.

rushmc

******>If the information is classified Secret or higher it should not be on public domains. Period.

Agreed.

A private email server is not a public domain, any more than secret documents being transported in an armored car are in the public domain just because they are on a public road.

I don't think security is the entire goal. The other is to set things up so that email can be preserved and gone back over in case of investigations. It's like a lot of businesses that have the rule "if it's about this company it stays on our servers." This way they know that the backups keep a copy of who emailed who about what.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding!
We have a winner!

As has been stated previously in this thread!

Rushmc, you just going to dodge my question?

Just for Marc:

Trump praises his supporters as 'the smartest, strongest, most hard working and most loyal' in history
"My supporters are the smartest, strongest, most hard working and most loyal that we have seen in our countries history. It is a beautiful thing to watch as we win elections and gather support from all over the country. As we get stronger, so does our country. Best numbers ever!"
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/392599-trump-praises-his-own-supporters-as-the-smartest-strongest-most

Must be true because it comes right from the keypad of trump.

Bob_Church

It's like a lot of businesses that have the rule "if it's about this company it stays on our servers." This way they know that the backups keep a copy of who emailed who about what.

I have no beef with that, but note that good cloud services will provide better backup, tracking, and security than poorly managed, underfunded internal servers and systems that are getting out of date. Thus even some governments are trying to put data (including some classified material) in the cloud -- although within their own borders to prevent legal issues about foreign access to data.

pchapman

*** It's like a lot of businesses that have the rule "if it's about this company it stays on our servers." This way they know that the backups keep a copy of who emailed who about what.

I have no beef with that, but note that good cloud services will provide better backup, tracking, and security than poorly managed, underfunded internal servers and systems that are getting out of date. Thus even some governments are trying to put data (including some classified material) in the cloud -- although within their own borders to prevent legal issues about foreign access to data.

But wherever it gets stored, it's a question of who has access and who can delete, or prevent deletion, of the emails.
When a subpoena arrives you can't just say, "oh, yeh, I canceled that particular account and everything was deleted, sorry about that."

But wherever it gets stored, it's a question of who has access and who can delete, or prevent deletion, of the emails.
When a subpoena arrives you can't just say, "oh, yeh, I canceled that particular account and everything was deleted, sorry about that."

That's exactly right. Prosecutors have been dealing with that issue since paper was invented.

Well, yes and no. I work for a defense contractor. We have FOUO and PII on our company servers. Not really a "public" domain in the sense that a Yahoo server is, but that information doesn't need to be on SIPR.

But back to the point. What Hillary did was not, by itself, illegal. If there was Secret or Top Secret information on there, the illegal act happened when it got put there. If that happened accidentally, then no one would get prosecuted. If it was done on purpose (like taking pictures of the classified areas of a submarine) then prosecution would be expected. The use and existence of a private server for government business was not illegal.

- Dan G

Latest evidence of collusion - Roger Stone was in contact with a Russian man in May of 2016 who offered dirt on Clinton for $2 million. Kept secret by the Trump campaign until now, the meeting reveals yet another hidden contact between the Trump campaign and Russians hoping to sway the election.

What will next week reveal?

==================
Trump associate Roger Stone reveals new contact with Russian national during 2016 campaign

By Manuel Roig-Franzia and Rosalind S. Helderman WaPo
June 17 at 10:44 AM

MIAMI — One day in late May 2016, Roger Stone — the political dark sorcerer and longtime confidant of Donald Trump — slipped into his Jaguar and headed out to meet a man with a Make America Great Again hat and a viscous Russian accent.

The man, who called himself Henry Greenberg, offered damaging information about Hillary Clinton, Trump’s presumptive Democratic opponent in the upcoming presidential election, according to Stone who spoke about the previously unreported incident in interviews with The Washington Post. Greenberg, who did not reveal the information he claimed to possess, wanted Trump to pay $2 million for the political dirt, Stone said.

“You don’t understand Donald Trump,” Stone recalled saying before rejecting the offer at a restaurant in the Russian-expat magnet of Sunny Isles, Fla. “He doesn’t pay for anything.”

Later, Stone got a text message from Michael Caputo, a Trump campaign communications official who’d arranged the meeting after Greenberg had approached Caputo’s Russian-immigrant business partner.
===================

DanG

Well, yes and no. I work for a defense contractor. We have FOUO and PII on our company servers. Not really a "public" domain in the sense that a Yahoo server is, but that information doesn't need to be on SIPR.

But back to the point. What Hillary did was not, by itself, illegal. If there was Secret or Top Secret information on there, the illegal act happened when it got put there. If that happened accidentally, then no one would get prosecuted. If it was done on purpose (like taking pictures of the classified areas of a submarine) then prosecution would be expected. The use and existence of a private server for government business was not illegal.

Exactly. Just because it's UNCLASS (FOUO, PII) does not mean it can be on public domain (you and I wrote the same thing). But CONFIDENTIAL is classified, so that's the one thing I was correcting. It cannot be on NIPR.

And again, we agree on what Clinton did. It was NOT illegal. Against policy? Absolutely. But illegal? Nope.

(and not to DanG in particular) Spillage can happen accidentally as well, meaning you could inadvertently type something in an email on an unclassified network (her travel schedule, for example, would have been classified until that travel was in the past, so it's not that hard to do mistakenly). But mistakes get investigated -- they do not get prosecuted. Prosecution comes if the investigation finds harmful intent or willful negligence. The MANY investigations into Sec. Clinton's use of a private server determined that there was no harmful intent nor willful negligence. Also that information that was determined to be classified, was not classified at the time it was sent via email. Of course, one has to be careful when discussing things over unsecured networks that sensitive (possibly classify-worthy) information is not transmitted, but there is a reasonable-person test that goes toward that. It happens more than most people know, even in organizations like DoD, where we're forced to get training on the handling of classified every year for the duration of our careers (most people spend far less time in government service, and even less with handling classified, so those lessons don't sink in as deeply).

whew. Okay, rant over. I just get tired of the fringe crowd parroting the "lock her up," and "it was a CRIME!" when they have no idea what they're talking about. Thanks, Dan, for letting me rant on your post. :P
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Just heard that Stzok got let out of his office last Friday. The dominoes are starting to fall.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You know what's really cool that we just found out Bill?

We found out today that Comey fought a special prosecutor for Hillary Clinton and he stole and leaked documents to start an investigation against our now president Trump.

And we know that Hillary Clinton broke federal laws and we have no evidence to date that Trump has done anything. You have to be so proud of your position don't you!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

You know what's really cool that we just found out Bill?

We found out today that Comey fought a special prosecutor for Hillary Clinton and he stole and leaked documents to start an investigation against our now president Trump.

And we know that Hillary Clinton broke federal laws and we have no evidence to date that Trump has done anything. You have to be so proud of your position don't you!

That's great to hear! I look forward to seeing Trump's support of the investigation. Sounds like he finally took the advice of his counsel who already quit that he should cooperate with the investigators.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***You know what's really cool that we just found out Bill?

That's great to hear! I look forward to seeing Trump's support of the investigation. Sounds like he finally took the advice of his counsel who already quit that he should cooperate with the investigators.

Marc has yet to explain WHY trump promised to lock her up for all her crimes. When trump has a republican attorney general, republican house, senate, FBI director, etc.,etc,

Why has trump let her go scot-free Marc?

Phil1111

******You know what's really cool that we just found out Bill?

Marc has yet to explain WHY trump promised to lock her up for all her crimes. When trump has a republican attorney general, republican house, senate, FBI director, etc.,etc,

Why has trump let her go scot-free Marc?

Aaaahhhhh!!! Trump is part of the DEEP STATE!!!!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The IG reports stated yesterday that the FBI investigators doctored (changed) interview documents for both the email and Russia probes. So now the FBI is tampering with evidence.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

The IG reports stated yesterday that the FBI investigators doctored (changed) interview documents for both the email and Russia probes. So now the FBI is tampering with evidence.

You still haven’t answered my question.

Also you must not have watched the congressional testimony about the IG report. It did not look into the Russia investigation at all other than a decision involving Anthony wieners laptop. The report, the IG, the the FBI director were all very clear on this.

rushmc

The IG reports were released last week, so they wouldn't magically state something different yesterday. If you had read the report, as opposed to letting other people tell you what is in it, you would have noticed the report doesn't say that.

SkyDekker

***The IG reports stated yesterday that the FBI investigators doctored (changed) interview documents for both the email and Russia probes. So now the FBI is tampering with evidence.

The IG reports were released last week, so they wouldn't magically state something different yesterday. If you had read the report, as opposed to letting other people tell you what is in it, you would have noticed the report doesn't say that.

But the IG did testify to that fact.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******The IG reports stated yesterday that the FBI investigators doctored (changed) interview documents for both the email and Russia probes. So now the FBI is tampering with evidence.

Stop changing your story. Either the IG report said it or the IG said it, or you are full of crap. Pick one and stick to it. Stop dodging questions, stop spinning statements, and stop deflecting. I also know you’re full of crap because out of the two of us I know only I watched the testimony.

You still haven’t answered my question.

rushmc

******The IG reports stated yesterday that the FBI investigators doctored (changed) interview documents for both the email and Russia probes. So now the FBI is tampering with evidence.

No he didn't.

Wrong twice in a row, you really should go for the 3 pitch strike out.

And yet another secret link is discovered between Russia and Trump. Drip drip drip . . .

=================
Mueller gathers evidence that 2017 Seychelles meeting was effort to establish back channel to Kremlin

Trump donor secretly met with Russian close to Putin

By Sari Horwitz and Devlin Barrett
March 7

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III has gathered evidence that a secret meeting in Seychelles just before the inauguration of Donald Trump was an effort to establish a back channel between the incoming administration and the Kremlin — apparently contradicting statements made to lawmakers by one of its participants, according to people familiar with the matter.

In January 2017, Erik Prince, the founder of the private security company Blackwater, met with a Russian official close to Russian President Vladi­mir Putin and later described the meeting to congressional investigators as a chance encounter that was not a planned discussion of U.S.-Russia relations.

A witness cooperating with Mueller has told investigators the meeting was set up in advance so that a representative of the Trump transition could meet with an emissary from Moscow to discuss future relations between the countries, according to the people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.
===============

Funny isn't it, I remember Ron comparing the Clintons to 'House of Cards' because of the imaginary murders the conspiracy theorists attribute to the Clintons... yet this is pretty much the exact plot of season 2. Illegal back channel negotiations with foreign powers, a presidential marriage on the rocks, witness tampering... it's uncanny, really :P

Do you want to have an ideagasm?