2 2
billvon

Russiagate

billvon

Latest -

Cohen claims that Trump did in fact know about the meeting with the Russian agent, and that he approved it. This, of course, flies in the face of what Trump has claimed - and also flies in the face of other evidence that suggests he was aware of the meeting.

Cohen's claim also supports several details of the Steele dossier, which noted that Cohen met with Russian officials "to prevent the full details of TRUMP’s relationship with Russia being exposed.”

So this revelation, if true, would directly implicate Trump himself in an effort to conspire with a foreign power to tip the election to him, and a subsequent effort to cover that up. We already know that Trump helped dictate a statement lying to America about the real purpose of the meeting, and, if Cohen is right, the coverup would also include falsely denying not just knowledge of the meeting, but also his approval of it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Latest -

Cohen claims that Trump did in fact know about the meeting with the Russian agent, and that he approved it. This, of course, flies in the face of what Trump has claimed - and also flies in the face of other evidence that suggests he was aware of the meeting.

Cohen's claim also supports several details of the Steele dossier, which noted that Cohen met with Russian officials "to prevent the full details of TRUMP’s relationship with Russia being exposed.”

So this revelation, if true, would directly implicate Trump himself in an effort to conspire with a foreign power to tip the election to him, and a subsequent effort to cover that up. We already know that Trump helped dictate a statement lying to America about the real purpose of the meeting, and, if Cohen is right, the coverup would also include falsely denying not just knowledge of the meeting, but also his approval of it.

And now he's twitter threatened Iran with a massive attack, implying it would be nuclear, for throwing threatening words at the U.S. I hope the grown ups have it to where he can not use war to divert everyones attention from his crimes.

kallend

***Latest -

The moment is gone. Nobody cares. Certainly not any Republicans.

So both Trump and Giuliani have lavished praise on Cohen, calling him “a good man" and “an honest, honorable lawyer" and said they would have no problem if he cooperated with Mueller. And have continued their support for him until this week.

Then he actually cooperated.

So of course now he is a bad man and a dishonest, dishonorable lawyer.

"I expected something like this from Cohen,. He's been lying all week, or for two weeks — he's been lying for years. The tapes that we have demonstrate any number of very serious lies by him back a year and a half ago. There's no doubt in my mind that he's just not credible. I would not accept him as a witness as a prosecutor. This is the kind of witness that can really destroy your whole case, because any finder of fact loses confidence in the case when you rely on a guy like this. When you rely on a guy where before you're finished with him you're going to have such a string of lies, you just can't trust him."

So he was a good man, honest and honorable as of Jul 20 - and he was part of Trump's inner circle, someone Trump relied on. And yet he lied to Giuliani for years. Strange.

Rudy also had something to say which may end up biting Trump pretty hard. The interviewer asked him about the meeting where Trump was asked about getting intel from the Russians. Here's what Rudy had to say about it:

Rudy: " . . .I've talked to the corroborating witnesses - this guy is walking into a trap."
Cuomo: "You talked to the other people in the room?"
Rudy: "A bunch of times. A month ago, two months ago."
Cuomo: "And you know what they say the president was told and not told. . ."
Rudy: "I know what they said, yes."

So the meeting had several corroborating witnesses in it, and Rudy knows what they said in that meeting. It will be very hard for him to claim now that these people don't exist and were not at the meeting which didn't exist.

And Giuliani had something very prescient to say at the end of his interview: "That's kind of part of the human condition. We all make mistakes about people who turn out to be disloyal to us." Yes, Rudy, that is very true - and I think you are about to find out how true it is, when Trump realizes you are not only damaging his case, you are upstaging him.

billvon

And Giuliani had something very prescient to say at the end of his interview: "That's kind of part of the human condition. We all make mistakes about people who turn out to be disloyal to us." Yes, Rudy, that is very true - and I think you are about to find out how true it is, when Trump realizes you are not only damaging his case, you are upstaging him.

But when is that going to be? Giuliani's been a trainwreck since the day he came onboard and yet he's still talking!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

LeeroyJenkins

******I think Rush just blocked me out like he does with all other information that hurts his brain. I guess he just cant handle someone that's smarter and more informed than himself.

Ya. That's it.:D

Oh hey you can see my comments.

If that isn’t it, why don’t you ever anyswer my questions or address my comments?

Here is an easy one. Do you believe the muller investigation should run until it is concluded?

It never should have ever started.

But now it will need to run it's course of liberals heads will explode..

Which might happen anyway....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

To confirm - you don't think allegations of collusion with a foreign power in relation to election tampering should be investigated?

That is what you just said.

I call BULLSHIT.

yoink

To confirm - you don't think allegations of collusion with a foreign power in relation to election tampering should be investigated?

I call BULLSHIT.

The charge is bogus and still today there is no crime for collusion in that Arena. Call bullshit and whatever you want to call it's not going to do any good
Abraham Lincoln

yoink

***Cohen will end up being disbarred...

Which has no relation to his future testimony.

Being a licensed lawyer doesn’t change what he saw or did.

his credibility will be challenged at such a level that no court will be able to take him seriously. Now that said, that doesn't stop the left from exploiting him for their political games
Abraham Lincoln

It’s really interesting watching you post. Generally speaking over the years I would have put you as a ring wing patriot. I’ve watched as you defend Trump and gradually your loyalty (in posts) has shifted from the USA to Trump.

It’s interesting to watch and as someone who grew up under a dictator, it is interesting to see how a person of strong influence can garner such a strong following.

I don’t know where the USA will end up as Trump has successfully neutered the main stream media and so I don’t think anyone really knows how many people will vote for or against Trump at the next elections.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

yoink

Rush said several times on this subject that he thinks it's illegal to investigate something unless you can already prove the crime has taken place.

Yes, you heard that right. Proof first, investigation second:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rushmc

******Cohen will end up being disbarred...

his credibility will be challenged at such a level that no court will be able to take him seriously.

This being the guy that Trump's new fixer (Giuliani) said was "honest" and "honorable" just 2 months ago, right?

By Paul Waldman
July 27:

If you want to believe President Trump is innocent when it comes to Russia, you’re going to have to do some work. It’s not just that new information keeps coming out, and you’ll have to figure out whether it should be disbelieved (It’s not true!) or explained away (Even if it’s true, it’s perfectly fine!). You’ll also have to keep abreast of the president’s shifting stories and justifications so you can be up to date on what you’re supposed to say. And you’ll have to believe some things that are frankly unbelievable.

Now that Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former fixer, has publicly said that he was in the room when Trump was told beforehand of the infamous Trump Tower meeting Trump’s son, son-in-law and campaign chairman had with a group of Russians they believed would provide dirt on Hillary Clinton, and Trump gave the go-ahead for the meeting, Trump advocates are being called upon yet again for a new round of denials. So we should step back and remind ourselves of exactly what it is they’re asking us all to accept.

Don Jr. wouldn’t have told his father about the Trump Tower meeting.
Without getting too deeply into psychological analysis of Don Jr., it’s pretty plain that he worships his father, in whose shadow he lives, and craves his respect. So when an acquaintance approached him with an offer to meet with Russians who, according to the email Don Jr. received, said they could “provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary […] This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump,” Don Jr. was excited.

“If it’s what you say I love it,” he responded. With the potential of such a blockbuster find, we’re supposed to believe that Don Jr. wouldn’t have rushed to tell his dad what he was about to acquire for him.

Neither Paul Manafort nor Jared Kushner would have bothered to tell Trump about the meeting, either.

In the fast-moving chaos of a presidential campaign, something extraordinary has to be on offer to assemble the campaign chairman, the candidate’s son, and the candidate’s son-in-law and chief policy adviser. When the Russians came calling, the Trump team obviously thought they were about to get something extraordinary. But we’re supposed to believe that nobody informed Donald Trump.

It’s mere coincidence that between the email to Don Jr. and the Trump Tower meeting, Trump touted damaging information he was about to reveal about Hillary.

Don Jr. received the email proposing the Trump Tower meeting on June 3, 2016. On June 6, he had two phone calls with Emin Agalarov, the son of a Russian oligarch, who was helping to set up the meeting. Between those two calls he had another call with a blocked number. His father has a blocked number. Don Jr. says he can’t remember whom he spoke to.

But the next day, June 7, Donald Trump told a crowd at a rally, “I am going to give a major speech on probably Monday of next week and we’re going to be discussing all of the things that have taken place with the Clintons. I think you’re going to find it very informative and very, very interesting.” The meeting took place two days later, on June 9, but produced no damaging information on Clinton. Trump never delivered his “major speech” revealing Clinton misconduct. We’re supposed to believe this is all coincidence.

The Trump team released a false statement to the public about the Trump Tower meeting even though they hadn’t done anything wrong.

When the story of the Trump Tower meeting was about to break in July 2017, a group of Trump advisers quickly gathered to craft a cover story to minimize the damage. The account they settled on is one in which the meeting had nothing to do with the campaign but was just about policy related to adoption of Russian children by American parents. We’re supposed to believe that they released this false story despite the fact that there was nothing improper about the meeting in the first place.

President Trump lied about crafting the false statement to the public for no particular reason.

That Trump lied about this is not in dispute. We now know that it was the president who dictated the cover story, but on multiple occasions, Trump had his lawyers publicly attest that he had nothing to do with the statement (“The president didn’t sign off on anything,” “The president was not involved”). But then last month we learned that the lawyers, in a letter to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, finally admitted that the president “dictated a short but accurate response” to be delivered to the New York Times, and thereby to the public, on Don Jr.’s behalf, just as The Post had reported last June. We’re supposed to believe that these admitted lies were not meant to cover up anything, since there was nothing to cover up.

Working with representatives of the Russian government to get dirt on your opponent is perfectly fine.

This is one of the most audacious claims Trump and his advocates have made, but it’s one they almost had no choice but to retreat to. After the Trump camp’s lies about what happened in the meeting were exposed, they could no longer deny that Trump’s family members and closest advisers were actively seeking help from the Russians. “I think from a practical standpoint most people would have taken that meeting,” the president finally said. “Politics isn’t the nicest business in the world, but it’s very standard.”

That is completely false — taking campaign help from a foreign government is not “standard” at all and is probably illegal. But once it became the president’s position, his defenders had to adopt it as their own. “Look, I don’t think that it’s bad if campaigns are turning to foreign governments for dirt. It’s not collusion,” said conservative pundit Andrew McCarthy on Fox. So now we’re all supposed to believe that colluding with a hostile foreign power isn’t actually collusion, and there’s nothing wrong with it anyway.

If you believe all those things, I commend you on your mental flexibility. You might want to consider how you’d be reacting if we found out that in the heart of the 2016 campaign, Chelsea Clinton, her husband and John Podesta had eagerly sought information on Donald Trump from, say, the Iranian government, and then Clinton herself had lied publicly about the meeting. Would you be saying it was no big deal and we shouldn’t worry about it? When you’ve been saying for years that she ought to go to jail because she used the wrong email account?

yoink

***Cohen will end up being disbarred...

A investigation started by a republican attorney general. Sessions was personally hand picked by trump. Prosecuted by a republican prosecutor. Warrants approved by republican judges.

For the trump base the "witch hunt" is the term invented by trump to distract from the criminal conduct under investigation. It fits the narrative for his base that trump is merely a "victim".

Rest assured Mueller has much more on trump than what's been disclosed. There are reasons why he hasn't pushed trump to testify under oath, yet.

In addition, at trial, the lack of loyalty for those that surround trump. Combined with his propensity to shoot his mouth off and tweet. Every thought that crosses his mind. Will result in a new favorite for trump.. The new tweet and line for trump will be taking the fifth.

Mueller likely has the goods on the Putin-trump blackmail angle for all the Russian money laundering trump has participated in. Mueller and national politics aside. The New York prosecutors office will be tracking all of this. Its filled with ...wait...wait... filled with democrat prosecutors. Ready to get at trump.

Thats what drives trump to sleepless nights in the WH. Its not HRC, Mueller and midterms. Its prosecutors in New York state waiting for the evidence to be laid in their laps. Evidence that Mueller will wrap in a nice little package.

Perhaps the 800-900 million that trump has left after all his legal bills. Will be used in NY state to pay for medical insurance premiums. Ironic eh Marc?

rushmc

I call BULLSHIT.

The charge is bogus and still today there is no crime for collusion in that Arena. Call bullshit and whatever you want to call it's not going to do any good

The charge MIGHT be bogus. We don’t know... But that isn’t what you said; ‘it should never have started’.
Your words.

So your position must be that any allegation of corruption shouldn’t be investigated to see if its true or false. :S

Forgetting for a moment that this is about Trump, let's just say "A random unnamed President" is what Cohen has done anywhere near legal? Can an attorney record meetings with a client, without the client knowing, then later distribute them? I'm not asking about the morality of it, for obvious reasons, but it just doesn't seem legal, or at least it seems like it should get Cohen disbarred.
Unless of course he already has been. I just can't bring myself to watch this farce closely.

My understanding (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I don't have this right) is that the recordings were made in NY state where only one party of a conversation is required to consent to a recording of the conversation.

I think that the conversation would normally be protected under attorney-client privilege, had Trump not given up any claims to that privilege.

I'm not saying it's right: it's shady as fuck, but to specifically address the legality of it, I believe that outlines why it's legal.
I got nuthin

lippy

My understanding (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I don't have this right) is that the recordings were made in NY state where only one party of a conversation is required to consent to a recording of the conversation.

I think that the conversation would normally be protected under attorney-client privilege, had Trump not given up any claims to that privilege.

I'm not saying it's right: it's shady as fuck, but to specifically address the legality of it, I believe that outlines why it's legal.

So it does sound legal, thanks.

lippy

"The attorney-client privilege protects most communications between clients and their lawyers. But, according to the crime-fraud exception to the privilege, a client’s communication to her attorney isn’t privileged if she made it with the intention of committing or covering up a crime or fraud....

The crime-fraud exception applies if:

the client was in the process of committing or intended to commit a crime or fraudulent act, and
the client communicated with the lawyer with intent to further the crime or fraud, or to cover it up."
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-crime-fraud-exception-the-attorney-client-privilege.html

There is a reason why someone tapes conversations. Because they have a belief that the other party will lie about the conversation. Or the other party has a defective memory, or the party recording it wants accuracy in their own recollections.

Thats why a JUDGE issued the FBI warrant for Cohen's files. i.e. evidence that trump's "fixer" would act to further fraud. Statement(s) that "trump not pay cash" and Cohen would take out a mortgage to borrow the money" would likely do.

There has yet to be disclosures on any investigations on trump's media friends that like to help him put by "catching and killing" these stories about trump.

" Trump's SHOCKING affair with the National Enquirer!...explained
"Um," Michael Cohen said on his tape with Donald Trump, "I need to open up a company for the transfer of all of that info regarding our friend David."

Who is the friend? All signs point to "David" being David Pecker, the chairman of American Media Inc., the owner of the National Enquirer.

Trump and Pecker have a long and mutually beneficial history. Although American Media Inc. says the two men do not speak "regularly," they have a friendship that dates back decades. "
https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/25/media/david-pecker-american-media-inc-trump/index.html

As a followup to my prior post, re the NY,NY attorney's office. Yes Marc, thats the one filled with Dems!

Robert Mueller May or May Not Go, But His Work Won’t Go Anywhere ,April 13, 2018

"Mueller has already done his due diligence and has a plan or plans in place in contemplation of his own dismissal.

To wit: The multiple FBI raids on Michael Cohen’s home, office, and hotel room this week — overseen by prosecutors in the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Southern District of New York, which covers Manhattan — resulted from a referral from Mueller to that office. Bharara, who used to run the place before Trump showed him the door, acknowledged in his weekly talk show-cum-podcast that the existence of a wholly independent investigation out of a different office puts the Mueller probe, indirectly, on stronger footing. “I don’t see a way, legitimately or even pragmatically, that you can shut down a separate SDNY investigation once it is started. And boy, it is started,” Bharara said, using the acronym for his former office.

Because the investigation into Michael Cohen is nonpublic and preliminary — and as far as we know, unrelated to the broader Russia investigation — there’s no way to know what crimes, if any, he’ll be charged with, or whether he’ll be charged at all. But it is significant that the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office has evidence that it received from the Justice Department, which in turn served as a basis to gather more evidence of its own from Cohen directly, and that now Trump himself is so invested in the matter that he’s dispatched a lawyer to intervene in a New York case that may turn out to be nothing. Whatever federal prosecutors in New York have on Cohen, the president, or both, is significant enough to keep them on edge. And because the Southern District of New York is renowned for not taking orders from Washington all that easily, this is not something Trump can do much about....

And should blanket pardons be in the offing — the only saving grace for an obstructor-in-chief — they’re ineffectual to stop potential state charges that may be in the works in New York or elsewhere....

All of this should be of great comfort to anyone fearing an impulsive Mueller or Rosenstein firing. Not because it may not happen, but because there are so many levels of government and moving parts and Department of Justice officials — to say nothing of the federal judges who are overseeing the active cases — working in tandem to ensure that the wheels of the special counsel’s operation keep turning. Call it the deep state at its finest. Under those conditions, even a Saturday Night Massacre–like ouster, as terrible as that would be, would be insufficient to stop the work already underway. For all we know, there may be already a Leon Jaworski–type replacement for Mueller waiting in the wings. He faithfully picked up where Archibald Cox left off, and we all know how that story ended.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/mueller-may-or-may-not-go-but-his-work-wont-go-anywhere.html

Poor donald, no wonder he can't sleep at night, no wonder all the 4:00 AM tweets. Dozens of judges and hundreds of lawyers all investigating three decades of money laundering and fraud.

nigel99

It’s really interesting watching you post. Generally speaking over the years I would have put you as a ring wing patriot. I’ve watched as you defend Trump and gradually your loyalty (in posts) has shifted from the USA to Trump.

It’s interesting to watch and as someone who grew up under a dictator, it is interesting to see how a person of strong influence can garner such a strong following.

I don’t know where the USA will end up as Trump has successfully neutered the main stream media and so I don’t think anyone really knows how many people will vote for or against Trump at the next elections.

All I see from you, is someone who believes all the info you get from Democrat supporting, big government beholding news sites.

The term sheepole fits you well
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

*********I think Rush just blocked me out like he does with all other information that hurts his brain. I guess he just cant handle someone that's smarter and more informed than himself.

Ya. That's it.:D

Oh hey you can see my comments.

If that isn’t it, why don’t you ever anyswer my questions or address my comments?

Here is an easy one. Do you believe the muller investigation should run until it is concluded?

But now it will need to run it's course of liberals heads will explode..

Which might happen anyway....

You almost managed to give a straight answer without any spin or deflection!

Anyway, you falsely stated collusion wasn't a crime again so I will repost what you already chose to ignore once.

U.S. Code.
"If two or more persons conspire either to commit any offense against the United States, or to defraud the United States, or any agency thereof in any manner or for any purpose, and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy, each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

If, however, the offense, the commission of which is the object of the conspiracy, is a misdemeanor only, the punishment for such conspiracy shall not exceed the maximum punishment provided for such misdemeanor.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 701; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Notes:

Based on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., §§ 88, 294 (Mar. 4, 1909, ch. 321, § 37, 35 Stat. 1096; Mar. 4, 1909, ch. 321, § 178a, as added Sept. 27, 1944, ch. 425, 58 Stat. 752).

This section consolidates said sections 88 and 294 of title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed.

To reflect the construction placed upon said section 88 by the courts the words “or any agency thereof” were inserted. (See Haas v. Henkel, 1909, 30 S. Ct. 249, 216 U. S. 462, 54 L. Ed. 569, 17 Ann. Cas. 1112, where court said: “The statute is broad enough in its terms to include any conspiracy for the purpose of impairing, obstructing, or defeating the lawful functions of any department of government.” Also, see United States v. Walter, 1923, 44 S. Ct. 10, 263 U. S. 15, 68 L. Ed. 137, and definitions of department and agency in section 6 of this title.)

The punishment provision is completely rewritten to increase the penalty from 2 years to 5 years except where the object of the conspiracy is a misdemeanor. If the object is a misdemeanor, the maximum imprisonment for a conspiracy to commit that offense, under the revised section, cannot exceed 1 year.

The injustice of permitting a felony punishment on conviction for conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is described by the late Hon. Grover M. Moscowitz, United States district judge for the eastern district of New York, in an address delivered March 14, 1944, before the section on Federal Practice of the New York Bar Association, reported in 3 Federal Rules Decisions, pages 380–392.

Hon. John Paul, United States district judge for the western district of Virginia, in a letter addressed to Congressman Eugene J. Keogh dated January 27, 1944, stresses the inadequacy of the 2-year sentence prescribed by existing law in cases where the object of the conspiracy is the commission of a very serious offense.

The punishment provision of said section 294 of title 18 was considered for inclusion in this revised section. It provided the same penalties for conspiracy to violate the provisions of certain counterfeiting laws, as are applicable in the case of conviction for the specific violations. Such a punishment would seem as desirable for all conspiracies as for such offenses as counterfeiting and transporting stolen property in interstate commerce.

A multiplicity of unnecessary enactments inevitably leads to confusion and disregard of law. (See reviser’s note under section 493 of this title.)

Since consolidation was highly desirable and because of the strong objections of prosecutors to the general application of the punishment provision of said section 294, the revised section represents the best compromise that could be devised between sharply conflicting views.

A number of special conspiracy provisions, relating to specific offenses, which were contained in various sections incorporated in this title, were omitted because adequately covered by this section. A few exceptions were made, (1) where the conspiracy would constitute the only offense, or (2) where the punishment provided in this section would not be commensurate with the gravity of the offense. Special conspiracy provisions were retained in sections 241, 286, 372, 757, 794, 956, 1201, 2271, 2384 and 2388 of this title. Special conspiracy provisions were added to sections 2153 and 2154 of this title.
Amendments
1994—Pub. L. 103–322 substituted “fined under this title” for “fined not more than $10,000”."