2 2
billvon

Russiagate

Bob_Church

"I'll give Trump the same latitude, he's the President, our chief diplomat and can conduct himself as he likes. The difference is that he's already shown himself to be inept in situations like this already having shown that he has no idea what he should or shouldn't say to protect our intelligence work. "

I have an old rule, I give a new President the first two years. But it's not been easy this time.

And as of yet you can cite no failures! Really crazy point of view you have there.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Bob_Church

Well, it's not as if I could do anything about it anyway. It's just how I look at it, but The Whitehouse never returns my calls.

Ever since I started putting on a Russian accent when I call the WH, they just connect me immediately, so I don't even need to wait for a callback anymore.:)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Well, it's not as if I could do anything about it anyway. It's just how I look at it, but The Whitehouse never returns my calls.

Ever since I started putting on a Russian accent when I call the WH, they just connect me immediately, so I don't even need to wait for a callback anymore.:)
Damn, why didn't I think of that.

And the investigation into the Trump campaign's collusion with Russia continues to expand. From Bloomberg:

=========================
Mueller Taps More Prosecutors to Help With Growing Trump Probe
By Chris Strohm
July 5, 2018

Special Counsel Robert Mueller is tapping additional Justice Department resources for help with new legal battles as his year-old investigation of Russian interference with the 2016 election continues to expand.
=======================

>Ah yes Manafort, who owes a Russian $10,000,000 but worked for the
>Trump Campaign for free.

Updates on Manafort -

He's in jail due to his collusion with a Russian to try to tamper with witnesses. Apparently it's quite luxurious (private room, private bathroom, computer, cable TV) and he's managed to smuggle emails in and out despite that being against prison rules.

Then Manafort said that he hasn't had time or opportunity to prepare for trial because the jail was so far from DC, so they had to delay the trial. Not to worry! said the judge. We'll move you to a DC-area jail “to ensure that defendant has access to his counsel and can adequately prepare his defense.”

But this new jail doesn't have any VIP cells, so Manafort's lawyers objected to that. And what about his safety without that VIP cell?

The judge was pretty clear about what she thought of that. “It is surprising and confusing when the counsel identifies a problem and then opposes the most logical solution to that problem. Defense counsel has not identified any general or specific threat to defendant’s safety at the Alexandria Detention Center.” So off he goes.

His lawyers objected again, but it was pointed out that the more-local federal jail had plenty of experience with "foreign and domestic terrorists, spies and traitors" - and thus Manafort would not present any unique problems.

Uh, oh!:o
Looks like my senator with the "R" after his name didn't get the memo that Russia is our friend now!:D

Fox News: Sen. Gardner: Russia Should Be Named a State Sponsor of Terror
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/07/12/cory-gardner-previews-trump-putin-summit-russia-should-be-named-state-sponsor-terror

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Peter Strzok's testimony is showing that he is strong enough to stand up to any bullshit Gowdy can throw at him. The R spin machine is trying hard and getting nowhere.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Peter Strzok's testimony is showing that he is strong enough to stand up to any bullshit Gowdy can throw at him. The R spin machine is trying hard and getting nowhere.

Yep. Must be embarrassing to be a Republican at that hearing. I especially liked how Gowdy took 25 minutes of his 5 minute turn to ask a bunch of leading questions, only to say at the end that he "doesn't give a damn" what Strzok thinks. At least he's admitting that his questions are only theater.

billvon

Yep. Must be embarrassing to be a Republican at that hearing. I especially liked how Gowdy took 25 minutes of his 5 minute turn to ask a bunch of leading questions, only to say at the end that he "doesn't give a damn" what Strzok thinks. At least he's admitting that his questions are only theater.

I think that was painful for everyone involved.

It is hilarious though that they don't realise every accusation or insinuation they make about Strzok's political bias undermines not only their investigation of him, but their years of investigation against Clinton.

The idea they're trying to sell is that a career FBI agent who expresses any political opinion cannot participate in an investigation of a political figure, but that elected partisan politicians can carry out reliable, trustworthy investigations of their direct party-political opponents.

Ok guys. Whatever you say:|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Looks like Strzok's defense is going to leave a pretty big mark. From Daily Beast:

=================
Republicans Thought Peter Strzok Would Be a Punching Bag. He Just Knocked Them Out.

He was supposed to be a key in the imaginary conspiracy Trump’s congressional lackeys and media fantasists have desperately tried to write as history. He was having none of it.

RICK WILSON

Those who forget the lessons of televised congressional hearings are doomed to repeat them, which is why the morning segment of the Capitol Hill show trial of veteran FBI agent and former head of the Bureau’s Counterespionage division Peter Strzok turned into a disaster for Republicans.

Donald Trump’s congressional enablers, sycophants, and political suck-ups wanted a punching bag, but Strzok instead delivered one of the rarest of moments: the full Joseph N. Welch.

Welch, the chief counsel for the U.S. Army during the infamous McCarthy hearings in 1954, had reached a breaking point. After McCarthy’s tendentious badgering reached a fever pitch, Welch delivered a famous rejoinder that ended the Wisconsin senator’s career. Watched by millions on live television, Welch went full beast-mode.

“If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so,” said Welch. “I like to think I am a gentleman, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me… You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

This morning, it was Strzok’s turn. After an hour of drama-queen badgering from Trey “Benghazi” Gowdy and Bob Goodlatte, Strzok issued two passionate statements that will be the takeaways from an otherwise disorganized and contentious shitshow of a hearing before the House Judiciary and Oversight Committees.

The first was a ringing defense of the FBI, with Strzok showing the kind of real passion that makes for great television. The FBI lifer issued a ringing defense of himself and his agency, punching Gowdy hard in the nose.

“I can assure you, Mr. Chairman, at no time, in any of these texts, did those personal beliefs ever enter into the realm of any action I took. Furthermore, this isn’t just me sitting here telling you you don’t have to take my word for it. At every step, at every investigative decision, there are multiple layers of people above me, the assistant director, executive assistant director, deputy director, and director of the FBI, and multiple layers of people below me, section chiefs, supervisors, unit chiefs, case agents and analysts, all of whom were involved in all of these decisions. They would not tolerate any improper behavior in me any more than I would tolerate it in them.”

“That is who we are as the FBI. And the suggestion that I in some dark chamber somewhere in the FBI would somehow cast aside all of these procedures, all of these safeguards and somehow be able to do this is astounding to me. It simply couldn’t happen. And the proposition that that is going on, that it might occur anywhere in the FBI, deeply corrodes what the FBI is in American society, the effectiveness of their mission, and it is deeply destructive.”

The second was a shot across Donald Trump’s bow: “I understand we are living in a political era in which insults and insinuation often drown out honesty and integrity. I have the utmost respect for Congress’s oversight role, but I truly believe that today’s hearing is just another victory notch in Putin’s belt and another milestone in our enemies’ campaign to tear America apart.”

. . .

Strzok was supposed to be a key in the imaginary conspiracy that Trump's congressional lackeys and media fantasists have desperately tried to write as history. The idea that his text messages poison the entire Mueller investigation was a pillar of their defense of the president. This morning they were going for a quick kill. They needed Strzok to flail, and wilt. The Gowdy, Goodlatte, and Gaetz types needed their grandstanding mock outrage to leave Strozk shaking and begging for mercy.

Strozk had none of it. In this morning’s round he left the Trumpists of the House staggered in their corner, cut and shaky, wondering where Stozok learned to hit back that hard.
=============================

12 Russian Intelligence Officers Indicted in Hacking Tied to the Clinton Campaign

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/13/us/politics/mueller-indictment-russian-intelligence-hacking.html

From page 7 of the indictment:

22. The Conspirators spearphished individuals affiliated with the Clinton Campaign throughout the summer of 2016. For example, on or about July 27, 2016, the Conspirators attempted after hours to spearphish for the first time email accounts at a domain hosted by a thirdparty provider and used by Clinton’s personal office. At or around the same time, they also targeted seventy-six email addresses at the domain for the Clinton Campaign.

Source: https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/80-netyksho-et-al-indictment/ba0521c1eef869deecbe/optimized/full.pdf

Also on that date:

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Mr. Trump said during a news conference here in an apparent reference to Mrs. Clinton’s deleted emails. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/us/politics/donald-trump-russia-clinton-emails.html

ryoder

12 Russian Intelligence Officers Indicted in Hacking Tied to the Clinton Campaign
. . .

Also on that date:

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Mr. Trump said during a news conference here in an apparent reference to Mrs. Clinton’s deleted emails. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Not to worry! Trump has already blamed Obama.

1) I didn't do it
2) OK I did it but it's not that bad
3) Obama did it first

After meeting with his handler, Trump once again took Russia's side in the hacking issue.
He said that the Russia was not behind the hacking of Democratic computer systems - "I don't see any reason why it would be. President Putin was extremely strong in his denial today."

Up next - Kim Jong Un says he doesn't have any nuclear weapons or missiles at all; it was all special effects. Trump is quoted as saying "why would he lie?"

So Rushmc.... what is your take on today's press conference? Still on the Trump bandwagon? Putin is an ally and a friend and despite the results of ALL of our intelligence? Trump can deny it because Putin said he did not do it?

Just curious about where your allegiance actually lies. RonD as well.

>So Rushmc.... what is your take on today's press conference? Still on the Trump
>bandwagon?

Of course he is; the only question is which of the three excuses he will use.

Meanwhile, another arrest in the Russian collusion case:
===========================================
According to the affidavit in support of the complaint, from as early as 2015 and continuing through at least February 2017, [Maria] Butina worked at the direction of a high-level official in the Russian government who was previously a member of the legislature of the Russian Federation and later became a top official at the Russian Central Bank. This Russian official was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control in April 2018.

The court filings detail the Russian official’s and Butina’s efforts for Butina to act as an agent of Russia inside the United States by developing relationships with U.S. persons and infiltrating organizations having influence in American politics, for the purpose of advancing the interests of the Russian Federation. The filings also describe certain actions taken by Butina to further this effort during multiple visits from Russia and, later, when she entered and resided in the United States on a student visa. The filings allege that she undertook her activities without officially disclosing the fact that she was acting as an agent of Russian government, as required by law. . . .

[Butina] took steps to develop relationships with American politicians in order to establish private, or as she called them, "back channel" lines of communication.
=============================================

She was also the head of the Russian equivalent of the NRA, and met with the NRA several times, around the time that millions in Russian money flowed into the NRA, then flowed back out into Trump's campaign.

Something tells me that Trump will be FAR more upset by this arrest than by Manafort's.

billvon

After meeting with his handler, Trump once again took Russia's side in the hacking issue.
He said that the Russia was not behind the hacking of Democratic computer systems - "I don't see any reason why it would be. President Putin was extremely strong in his denial today."

Up next - Kim Jong Un says he doesn't have any nuclear weapons or missiles at all; it was all special effects. Trump is quoted as saying "why would he lie?"

Good to see your nose ring is still tightly connected
Abraham Lincoln

tkhayes

So Rushmc.... what is your take on today's press conference? Still on the Trump bandwagon? Putin is an ally and a friend and despite the results of ALL of our intelligence? Trump can deny it because Putin said he did not do it?

Just curious about where your allegiance actually lies. RonD as well.

nothing actually happened there that should change anybody's mind. Obviously it hasn't yours. It has demonstrated to me that your nose ring is still tightly connected in your being led around by the left-wing looks in the media. The claims being made and the feigned outrage is ridiculous bunch of bullshit. Things don't fit together but you guys got to grab that anything you can get. I got to admit it's a fun damn thing to watch!

I mean after all Friday indicated that nothing any American had done showed any collusion with Russia. You guys are so desperate. It is sad to watch as well
Abraham Lincoln

I was not actually talking about the ongoing investigation of collusion with Russia. I was simply looking for your comments on whether or not you thought Trump did an amazing job with Vladimir Putin? Are you OK with the press conference the way that it went? Do you actually believe that the United States came out ahead on this?.

Russian collusion aside, I never mentioned it

tkhayes

I was not actually talking about the ongoing investigation of collusion with Russia. I was simply looking for your comments on whether or not you thought Trump did an amazing job with Vladimir Putin? Are you OK with the press conference the way that it went? Do you actually believe that the United States came out ahead on this?.

It's called dodging and spinning. There is no point in this. Let these extremists get stuffed back into the hole they crawled out of after trumps racism/sexism/ bigotry opened it up.

More evidence that Russia was indeed colluding with US political parties through the NRA. From Special Agent Kevin Helson:

=================
On October 4, 2016, U.S. Person 1 sent an email to an acquaintance. The email covered a number of topics. Within the email, U.S. Person 1 stated, “Unrelated to specific presidential campaigns, I’ve been involved in securing a VERY private line of communication between the Kremlin and key POLITICAL PARTY 1 leaders through, of all conduits, the [GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATION].” Based on my training, expertise, and familiarity with this investigation, I believe that this email describes U.S. Person 1’s involvement in BUTINA’s efforts to establish a “back channel” communication for representatives of the Government of Russia.
==================

Quick! Someone call FOX and have them demand another investigation of Hillary's email!

Within the email, U.S. Person 1 stated, “Unrelated to specific presidential campaigns, I’ve been involved in securing a VERY private line of communication between the Kremlin and key POLITICAL PARTY 1 leaders through, of all conduits, the [GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATION].” Based on my training, expertise, and familiarity with this investigation, I believe that this email describes U.S. Person 1’s involvement in BUTINA’s efforts to establish a “back channel” communication for representatives of the Government of Russia.

I really do love that he felt the need to back that up to such a degree.

Could just as well have said "Based on my being a conscious, literate human" couldn't he?:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

tkhayes

I see your point about Trump's comments. But it ain't worth the bullshit that he's getting on the media and every place else today. Could have handled it better? Absolutely. But he is not a politician now is he! So you can take your point and do whatever you want with it but he still my president needs the best that I've seen in a long time
Abraham Lincoln