2 2
billvon

Russiagate

rushmc

The uranium sale is not done yet either.

Just out of curiosity, do you think that this deal was actually a sale of Uranium from within our borders to Russia?

No. But we do know that some went to Canada, the Europe and then from there no one knows

Ohh. Right. Kinda like if you sell your gun to someone, then it gets sold to someone else and used for a crime we should hold you responsible. Gotcha.

The Uranium thing is complex, and isn't just a matter of completely independent sales from one country to another -- all the transfers have or are supposed to have various strict restrictions. So the gun sales analogy doesn't actually work here.

A decent primer I found:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/358339-uranium-one-deal-led-to-some-exports-to-europe-memos-show

The deal had its ups and downs depending on to what degree Russia was out of favour or some rapprochement was being attempted. Given how Russia is viewed at the moment, it does seem reasonable to re-visit how the deal has worked out in practice.

A couple quotes:

“Subsequently the U.S. Department of Energy granted approval for some re-transfers of U.S. uranium from the Canadian conversion facilities to European enrichment plants.”

The NRC added, however, it did not believe any of the American uranium made its way “directly” to Russia.

("Directly" in quotes in not very reassuring.)

The United States actually imports the majority of the uranium it uses as fuel. In 2016, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, 24 percent of the imports came from Kazakhstan and 14 percent came from Russia.

So Americans are getting Russian uranium! Who knew?

One starts to see the issue is a wee bit messy...

Typical trump Bull##it misinformation.

The Megatons to Megawatts Program, successfully completed in December 2013, is the popular name given to the program which is also called the United States-Russia Highly Enriched Uranium Purchase Agreement. The official name of the program is the "Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the Government of the United States of America Concerning the Disposition of Highly-Enriched Uranium Extracted from Nuclear Weapons", dated February 18, 1993.[1] Under this Agreement, Russia agreed to supply the United States with low-enriched uranium (LEU) obtained from high-enriched uranium (HEU) found to be in excess of Russian defense purposes. The United States agreed to purchase the low-enriched uranium fuel.

The original proposal for this program was made by Thomas Neff, a physicist at MIT, in an October 24, 1991 Op-Ed in The New York Times.[2] On August 28, 1992, in Moscow, U.S. and Russian negotiators initialed the 20-year agreement and President George H. W. Bush announced the agreement on August 31, 1992.[3] In 1993, the agreement was signed and initiated by President Clinton and the commercial implementing contract was then signed by both parties...

Under this Agreement, United States and Russia agreed to commercially implement a 20-year program to convert 500 metric tons of HEU (uranium 235 enriched to 90 percent) taken from Soviet era warheads, into LEU (less than 5 percent uranium 235). The terms of the agreement required that it be implemented on commercial terms without government funds. The agreement named the Department of Energy as the executive agent for the US side
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatons_to_Megawatts_Program

I find it very difficult to believe that there are not Americans who are unaware of this program. It involves FIVE HUNDRED TONNES OF HIGHLY ENRICHED URANIUM. Read weapons grade material.

Which makes the trump claims about HRC and uranium even more STUPID, with regards to scandal.

pchapman

So Americans are getting Russian uranium! Who knew?

One starts to see the issue is a wee bit messy...

The US is a net IMPORTER of uranium from Russia. This is the real nothingburger story.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rushmc

Just out of curiosity, do you think that this deal was actually a sale of Uranium from within our borders to Russia?

No. But we do know that some went to Canada, the Europe and then from there no one knows
The US exported nearly half a billion dollars worth of Uranium last year. Do you know where all of that ended up?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

The US exported nearly half a billion dollars worth of Uranium last year. Do you know where all of that ended up?

This is just a silly story designed to fire up the ignorant. Uranium is a commodity that is shipped around the world like other commodities. It is not in short supply. Russia has more than enough for its own needs and is a net exporter.

Uranium is a relatively common metal, approximately as common as tin or zinc, and it is a constituent of most rocks and even of the sea.

Australia has a substantial part (about 29%) of the world's uranium, Kazakhstan 13%, Russia and Canada 9% each.

Known Recoverable Resources of Uranium 2015

Tonnes U Percentage of world
Australia 1,664,100 29%
Kazakhstan 745,300 13%
Canada 509,000 9%
Russian Fed 507,800 9%
South Africa 322,400 6%
Niger 291,500 5%
Brazil 276,800 5%
China 272,500 5%
Namibia 267,000 5%
Mongolia 141,500 2%
USA 62,900 1%

Phil1111

Typical trump Bull##it misinformation.

Which makes the trump claims about HRC and uranium even more STUPID, with regards to scandal.

So? Trump targets his claims to STUPID and poorly educated people. He told us he loves them.

Uh oh. Looks like Jefferson might be the next one facing some jail time; lying to Congress under oath is, after all, a crime.

Next up: Trump claims "Jefferson Sessions? Don't really remember him. He wasn't really part of the administration; only here for a short time. He got coffee for us, if I remember. I didn't talk to him."

From the NYT:
====================
Standing before reporters in February, President Trump said unequivocally that he knew of nobody from his campaign who was in contact with Russians during the election. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has told the Senate the same thing.

Court documents unsealed this week cast doubt on both statements and raised the possibility that Mr. Sessions could be called back to Congress for further questioning.

. . .

At a March 31, 2016, meeting between Mr. Trump and his foreign policy team, Mr. Papadopoulos introduced himself and said “that he had connections that could help arrange a meeting between then-candidate Trump and President Putin,” according to court records.

“He went into the pitch right away,” said J. D. Gordon, a campaign adviser who attended the meeting. “He said he had a friend in London, the Russian ambassador, who could help set up a meeting with Putin.”

Mr. Trump listened with interest. Mr. Sessions vehemently opposed the idea, Mr. Gordon recalled. “And he said that no one should talk about it."
=====================

So now we have two confirmations that both Trump and Sessions were told about the campaign's meeting with Russians. And Sessions' response was "don't talk about it, so no one finds out."

Then he lied about it happening. I guess he was following his own advice on the coverup.

rushmc

Can I get a source on that? We send it to Canada for refinement and anything relating to international transportation is highly regulated. What I'm getting at is that people lose their shit because the word "Uranium" is in there. Nothing changed in how Uranium moves around the world. The deal could have been literally anything but no other factors should matter besides who paid what money, when and to whom.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Can I get a source on that?

A source?

From him?

Yeah. Don't hold your breath.

The hypocrisy of the Trumpettes is hilarious.

Benghazi. Uranium. A bunch of other 'good stories' that are salacious, damning and totally untrue.

Yet accusations of Trump being a tool of the Russians and Putin, a sexual predator, Nazi/KKK supporter, thief and con man are completely ignored. Despite a fair amount of proof.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

DJL

Can I get a source on that? We send it to Canada for refinement and anything relating to international transportation is highly regulated. What I'm getting at is that people lose their shit because the word "Uranium" is in there. Nothing changed in how Uranium moves around the world. The deal could have been literally anything but no other factors should matter besides who paid what money, when and to whom.

Current price of uranium is right around $20 per pound. It's not exactly a rare or precious commodity.

wolfriverjoe

Can I get a source on that?

A source?

From him?

Yeah. Don't hold your breath.

The hypocrisy of the Trumpettes is hilarious.

True. However I looked this up and there is a sort of truth to it, but a truth around which a web of deceit has been woven.

Initially it was said that Rosatom/Uranium One would not be able to export Uranium from those mines. but not because they were Russian owned, simply because the firm didn't have an export licence. They later started exporting Uranium when they were added to the export licence and distribution channels of another logistics company - one who already exported thousands of tonnes of Uranium per year anyway. Not quite sure why the stuff that comes from the Uranium One mines should be suspect when the stuff exported from any other US mine isn't.

Anyway, that arrangement was in place from 2012 to 2014. But what if some of that Uranium did eventually make it to Russia? Well, it would simply join the thousands of tonnes of Uranium that the US was exporting directly to the Russian Federation anyway.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

\Well, it would simply join the thousands of tonnes of Uranium that the US was exporting directly to the Russian Federation anyway.

I heard that Hillary Clinton was delivering that personally. Parachuting it in on canopies made from baby foreskin, and that for every 100 tonnes delivered she and Putin would have a US flag burning ceremony while throwing darts at pictures of George Washington.

She really is a piece of work.

Wow. The Republicans are getting very, very scared of what Mueller is finding:
=========================
Republicans just introduced a resolution to remove Mueller from the Trump-Russia investigation

Joe Perticone
Business Insider

WASHINGTON — A group of conservative Republican lawmakers introduced a resolution on Friday calling for Robert Mueller to recuse himself as the special counsel investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 US election and whether President Donald Trump's campaign team colluded with Moscow.

Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida, Andy Biggs of Arizona, and Louie Gohmert of Texas say Mueller should step down because he was the FBI director in 2010 when US government agencies approved the sale of Uranium One, a Canadian energy company, to a Russian nuclear-energy firm. The deal required approval because Uranium One had mining operations in the US.
==========================

From Bloomberg, additional evidence of quid pro quo. "You help us win the election, we'll see about ending those sanctions on you."

==========
A Russian lawyer who met with President Donald Trump’s oldest son last year says he indicated that a law targeting Russia could be re-examined if his father won the election and asked her for written evidence that illegal proceeds went to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
==========

billvon

From Bloomberg, additional evidence of quid pro quo. "You help us win the election, we'll see about ending those sanctions on you."

==========
A Russian lawyer who met with President Donald Trump’s oldest son last year says he indicated that a law targeting Russia could be re-examined if his father won the election and asked her for written evidence that illegal proceeds went to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
==========

Of course there's a quid pro quo. Thats chapter three in trump's book "The Art of The Scam".

billvon

==========
==========

Can you provide a link to that? The phrase in quotes is fairly important, I'd like to see who said it.

billvon

>Can you provide a link to that? The phrase in quotes is fairly important, I'd like to see who said it.

From Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-06/trump-jr-said-anti-russia-law-may-be-reviewed-moscow-lawyer-says

Ok, the line "You help us win the election, we'll see about ending those sanctions on you." is your writing, right? That shouldn't be in quotes. Putting something in quotes means that it's actually what the person said.

When quoting someone's recollection of a person's statement it would be this:

“Looking ahead, if we come to power, we can return to this issue and think what to do about it,’’ Trump Jr. said of the 2012 law, she recalled. “I understand our side may have messed up, but it’ll take a long time to get to the bottom of it,” he added, according to her.

The point being that it makes it clear that it's her recollection, not a recording or written statement.

I ask for that specific difference because one is indictable, one is not.

billvon

Sorry, I used quotes to indicate a paraphrase of the later text. I will avoid doing that in the future.

Lol. Him saying that it basically a noose so I wanted to know for sure.