muff528

Even Ike Knew ....

My dad dealt with all sorts of tube technology, so I'll pass that klystron related 1957 advert on to him!

Canada did end up with a lot of radar chains on its soil, largely US funded, to provide advance warning of the Russkies. There was the Pine Tree line, Mid-Canada Line, and DEW line. Although I'm oversimplifying history, each was kind of obsolete by the time it was finished and the next one further north was built at great expense

Then he might enjoy looking through the whole April 1, 1957 issue of "electronics". Downloadable here. ...Over 400 pages of a LOT of cool stuff from that era. I ran across the Varian ad and the picture just struck me funny, given the current debate.

I have a modest collection of electronics components and some radio equipment from the Cold War era, including a couple of smaller klystrons, some radar magnetrons, and other stuff. Once in a while I'll look around on the internet for info, specs, etc. I was looking for an adv to try to ID a particular Sperry klystron oscillator (I think) when I found this pdf.

I have a friend who is building a man-cave in the "steampunk" motif and it gave me the idea to do something similar with some of this stuff. Cold War Chic!. Large refrigerator-sized missile "command" transmitters (with lots of dials, knobs and meters:)

pchapman

My dad dealt with all sorts of tube technology, so I'll pass that klystron related 1957 advert on to him!

Canada did end up with a lot of radar chains on its soil, largely US funded, to provide advance warning of the Russkies. There was the Pine Tree line, Mid-Canada Line, and DEW line. Although I'm oversimplifying history, each was kind of obsolete by the time it was finished and the next one further north was built at great expense

But that illustration would imply the "fence" was intended to keep out Canadians! :o

I wonder how it was received at that time. [:/]
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

pchapman

Those who are not familiar with this history should google NORAD.

Of course, the concept was to eventually be able to detect and shoot down incoming ballistic missiles from Russia. And where would the highly radioactive debris land? Why, Canada of course.

Don

pchapman

*** And where would the highly radioactive debris land? Why, Canada of course.
Don

But all we ever got was a radioactive Russian satellite crashing on our country!
:S

(Ref: Kosmos 954)My father was in charge of the recovery/cleanup on that one.

Don

This might interest your dad. The business end of a missile "command-destruct" transmitter ...resonant cavity and output tube. I think this particular type was used in the 60s and 70s by the Range Safety folks even during the Mercury through the Apollo programs. Maybe someone here knows for sure. Pretty sure they weren't actually needed for any manned launches, though. Also a picture of the RF power tube. I think it'll clean and polish up real nice and look pretty good on the mantle. :)