winsor

Go Liechtenstein!

Teslas are okay, I guess, if you don't mind driving around with the equivalent of a trunk full of Samsung Note 7s.

The NanoFlowcell seems to have addressed many of the weak points of electrical personal transportation.

$0.10/litre electrolyte, 760 horsepower, a driving range of over 620 miles (1,000 kilometers), zero to 62 mph (zero to 100 km/h) in 2.4 seconds and a top speed electronically limited to 186 mph? I'm impressed.

gowlerk

Just a little short on detail in that story. For now I'm putting it in the same category as cold fusion and perpetual motion machines.

It's cold fusion that makes perpetual motion work so well.

You also have to be careful in using multiple fuel saving technologies on gasoline powered cars since, if their total fuel savings exceed 100%, the fuel tank will overflow as you drive, thus creating a fire hazard.

I understand research is going on into "reverse combustion". Engines will run on free O2 and CO2 using a newly developed catalyst to combine with N in a completely non-reactive reaction creating free energy and removing CO2 from the atmosphere and turning it into fancy French cologne.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It sounds like they are talking about this being based on a flow battery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_battery

I just learned about this last night from a new PBS Nova episode: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/super-battery.html
Interesting thing is they talked about flow batteries only for large, stationary purposes.
The salt water battery was also discussed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_water_battery

BTW Once you watched the demonstrations on lithium ion battery hazards, you'll never look at them the same way again.:o

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

gowlerk

I understand research is going on into "reverse combustion". Engines will run on free O2 and CO2 using a newly developed catalyst to combine with N in a completely non-reactive reaction creating free energy and removing CO2 from the atmosphere and turning it into fancy French cologne.

Oddly enough, the most viable means of reversing CO2 generation is not electrolysis (which has been successfully demonstrated in a molten salt medium) but photosynthesis.

Plants using photosynthesis to remove CO2 from the atmosphere produce ethanol, attar and other oils, all of which do, indeed, make up fancy French cologne.

>It sounds like they are talking about this being based on a flow battery . . .

Yep. Flow batteries are promising but aren't yet ready for prime time.

>The salt water battery was also discussed . . . .

Those are much closer. You can get them commercially from Aquion and several people I know have been experimenting with them. They're not great batteries (high impedance, wide voltage range, low energy density) but if the lifecycle improvements materialize they could be a good option for grid-scale storage.

ryoder

***For those outside the USA. I found that Nova episode available here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXs7VSd5xXA

Hell, I didn't know they were geo-limiting their shows! >:(

Unfortunately many of the links posted for TV shows here don't work in Canada. Anything from Comedy Central usually won't work. Sometimes a quick search turns up a link that will work, but often not. I realize you have no way of knowing that.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.