brenthutch

Berkeley celebrates free speech and diversity

Totally agreed!

I disagree entirely with his message, and I could never attend a speech by someone that has to create a throne of self celebration like he does.
It's odd to me his need for the backdrop of his suggestive images of himself.

brenthutch

OMG I had never heard of the guy, but i think I agreed with everything he said. I kept waiting for him to go off the rails but he never did. Thanks for the link.

EVERYONE SHOULD VIEW THIS!!!!

Nah...wasted bandwidth on most of the left who can't possibly imagine a young gay man conservative.

I didn't hear him say anything that might incite a riot.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

normiss

Totally agreed!

I disagree entirely with his message, and I could never attend a speech by someone that has to create a throne of self celebration like he does.
It's odd to me his need for the backdrop of his suggestive images of himself.

I tried to watch the video of his recent Boulder appearance, but 10 minutes in, I could not take any more of his giggling arrogance, while saying absolutely nothing of substance.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

He's a supercilious douchebag. That would be as opposed to an over privileged douchebag :P. He's got a lot of words, and doesn't think there's any problem with bullying and do piling as long as he gets his way (note the Ghostbusters incident).

He does seem to expect to be treated fairly; when he was called out on statements he made, he chastised the interviewer for taking them out of context and/or lacking a sense of humor.

Humor can be aggressive or sharing. I'd have to say that cocksucker probably would whine like a little puppy if someone were to actually attack him physically, and I'm quite sure he wouldn't "deign" to participate in a debate where actual points, and not just talking points, had to be addressed.

That he's gay, good-looking, well-spoken, and apparently British have nothing to do with the rather obvious fact that he's shit-scared of a world where he's no longer relevant. Or maybe he's just not rich enough yet.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd have to say that cocksucker probably would whine like a little puppy if someone were to actually attack him physically

?

You actually said that.

That he's gay, good-looking, well-spoken, and apparently British have nothing to do with the rather obvious fact that he's shit-scared of a world where he's no longer relevant

Sounding like a disgruntled feminist. One might say the the opposite to be true, especially when feminists have stooped to defending a Islam because they are so tolerant and just because they hate Trump.

Makes a lot of sense.

wmw999

He's a supercilious douchebag. That would be as opposed to an over privileged douchebag :P. He's got a lot of words, and doesn't think there's any problem with bullying and do piling as long as he gets his way (note the Ghostbusters incident).

He does seem to expect to be treated fairly; when he was called out on statements he made, he chastised the interviewer for taking them out of context and/or lacking a sense of humor.

Humor can be aggressive or sharing. I'd have to say that cocksucker probably would whine like a little puppy if someone were to actually attack him physically, and I'm quite sure he wouldn't "deign" to participate in a debate where actual points, and not just talking points, had to be addressed.

That he's gay, good-looking, well-spoken, and apparently British have nothing to do with the rather obvious fact that he's shit-scared of a world where he's no longer relevant. Or maybe he's just not rich enough yet.

Wendy P.

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy. Don't hold anything back. Tell us what you really think. Let it all out, its unhealthy to hold it back. People have gone postal when they hold it back.

Royreader8812

I'd have to say that cocksucker probably would whine like a little puppy if someone were to actually attack him physically

?

You actually said that.

That he's gay, good-looking, well-spoken, and apparently British have nothing to do with the rather obvious fact that he's shit-scared of a world where he's no longer relevant

Sounding like a disgruntled feminist. One might say the the opposite to be true, especially when feminists have stooped to defending a Islam because they are so tolerant and just because they hate Trump.

Makes a lot of sense.

This is what you call a cultural divide.

brenthutch

He has a constitutionally protected right to be offensive. You do not have a right to not be offended. If you don't like his ideas, counter them with ideas of your own. If your positions are so weak they cannot withstand scrutiny, you may want to rethink them.

I'm going to have to consult with my personal constitutional experts, psychologists and my nephew who has a PhD in philosophy.

Before I can respond to this.

Interesting how the only post anyone ever reacts to is where I play by the now-stated rules that political correctness is passé, and that everyone should just say whatever the fuck they want to. Which means, of course, an increased coarsening of the dialogue, and and even smaller chance of actually discussing anything of substance.
And for RR, no, I'm not a disgruntled feminist. I'm a feminist, along with being a mother, sister, skydiver, retired rocket scientist, and lots of other things.

But as long as you guys think that you make an actual point by attacking the person rather than the idea then you'll neither learn not teach. Except maybe that old American adage of "might makes right." :|

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Wendy P.

When I tried to watch his Boulder video, the entire backdrop of the stage was collage of giant photos of himself. It looked like a portfolio for a model. Maybe he is just frustrated that the male modeling career didn't work out.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Berkeley protestors went too far when they set things on fire. Protestors deserve the same treatment as Vancouver's hockey rioters. With that many cell phone cameras, it will be easy for courts to identify the guilty vandals.

While I may not agree with everything he says, I will defend his right to state his opinions.
I would much rather hear his cold hard analysis than some wishy-washy, limp-wristed, politically-correct boiler-plate that by the end my ears are tired, but I have learned nothing new.
If you get offended, you are probably insecure in your own beliefs.
I agree with him that "political correctness" went too far in censoring me when I referred to my neighbors' female dog as a bitch.
Critics distort his views when they quote him out of context. Standard practice for modern journalists reporting on any celebrity, politician, business leader, etc.
When you lose your ability to laugh at off-colour jokes ..... things get worse.
OTOH his arrogance can be annoying

This whole debate reminds me of a talk that Larry Flint (Hustler magazine) gave at the University of Ottawa. By the end of the debate, the audience concluded that Flint's freedom of speech was important even if his magazine was slightly beyond the pale of polite journalism. If you did not like Hustler magazine, you did not have to buy it.

My own political views may be slightly left of Center, but what scares me the most is right-wing politicians' ability repeatedly (think US Revolutionary War, Civil War, Korean War, both Gulf Wars, etc.) to enlist poor whites into voting into office a 45th president who will only keep them barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.
I.D.Vance details this process in "Hillbilly Elegy."

wmw999

Interesting how the only post anyone ever reacts to is where I play by the now-stated rules that political correctness is passé, and that everyone should just say whatever the fuck they want to. Which means, of course, an increased coarsening of the dialogue, and and even smaller chance of actually discussing anything of substance.

I saw what you were doing and I chuckled. Excellently played and mocks everyone.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Interesting how the only post anyone ever reacts to is where I play by the now-stated rules that political correctness is passé, and that everyone should just say whatever the fuck they want to.

It is the manner of discourse that many here are most used to having, so it doesn't surprise me one bit.

wmw999

But as long as you guys think that you make an actual point by attacking the person rather than the idea then you'll neither learn not teach. Except maybe that old American adage of "might makes right." :|

Wendy P.

"He's a supercilious douchebag. That would be as opposed to an over privileged douchebag"

"I'd have to say that cocksucker probably would whine like a little puppy if someone were to actually attack him physically, ..."

..sorry, couldn't help it :D

I didn't say "whine like a little girl," which is how I've usually heard it expressed.

Note: from my posting history, I don't tend toward the deliberately offensive. If I'm trying to express my opinion to people, I generally try to focus on the substance, and not he words around it. The more divergent the group, the more likely I am to try to use language that they can identify with, because that's the best way I can help them see that trees can be honest divergent opinions.

That doesn't seem to be the current way to express one's self. So maybe I should practice :)
But it doesn't come naturally. So maybe I'll just keep doing things my own way. That said, I still don't like dogpiling, I still don't like name-calling, I still don't like the "whatever pisses off people I disagree with is good" approach. It reduces others to stand-ins for one's prejudices, rather than according them full human rights.

Man I miss Lawrocket.

Wendy P.

not that it matters but the violence was mostly a small group that infiltrated the protest and caused all the problems in order to shut down the talk. The majority of protestors were peaceful.

UC Berkeley condemns in the strongest possible terms the actions of individuals who invaded the campus, infiltrated a crowd of peaceful students, and used violent tactics to close down the event. We deeply regret that the violence unleashed by this group undermined the First Amendment rights of the speaker as well as those who came to lawfully assemble and protest his presence.

The University went to extraordinary lengths to facilitate planning and preparation for this event, working in close concert with the Berkeley College Republicans. Dozens of police officers were brought in from UC campuses across the state. Numerous crowd control measures were put in place. But, we could not plan for the unprecedented. Last night the Berkeley campus was invaded by more than 100 armed individuals clad in Ninja-like uniforms who utilized paramilitary tactics to engage in violent destructive behavior designed to shut the event down. At that point the University of California Police Department concluded that the speaker had to be evacuated from campus for his own safety, thereby bringing the event to an end.

For the campus police the primary objective is always the safety and well-being of our students and the public. That is what informs their strategies and tactics. In that context we are relieved that, as of now, there have been no reports of serious injuries.

We are proud of our history and legacy as the home of the Free Speech Movement. While we have made clear our belief that the inflaming rhetoric and provocations of Mr. Yiannopoulos were in marked opposition to the basic values of the university, we respected his right to come to campus and speak once he was invited to do so by a legitimate student group. The violence last night was an attack on the fundamental values of the university, which stands for and helps to maintain and nurture open inquiry and an inclusive civil society, the bedrock of a genuinely democratic nation. We are now, and will remain in the future, completely committed to Free Speech as essential to our educational mission and a vital component of our identity at UC Berkeley.

Nicholas Dirks
Chancellor

I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

wmw999

He's a supercilious douchebag. He's got a lot of words, and doesn't think there's any problem with bullying and do piling as long as he gets his way. I'd have to say that cocksucker probably would whine like a little puppy if someone were to actually attack him physically, and I'm quite sure he wouldn't "deign" to participate in a debate where actual points, and not just talking points, had to be addressed.

That he's gay, good-looking, well-spoken, and apparently British have nothing to do with the rather obvious fact that he's shit-scared of a world where he's no longer relevant.

Wendy P.

Shit-scared of a world where they are no longer relevant?....Sound like the Democrats to me. According to you guys the AltRight is in the White House hardly irrelevant.