gowlerk

Poll, how do you feel about Trump's entry ban on select nationals

I don't agree either with the ban or with the chaotic way it was introduced--without being properly thought through as executive orders (pre Trump) usually were. Banning green card holders, long term visa holders, or refugees who have already been vetted just seems wrong to me--and probably unconstitutional / illegal.

Note that I might support a moratorium on NEW visas being issued to people from certain countries, provided there was evidence that the right countries were in play. There is no evidence, however, that the particular seven countries chosen represent an especially high risk. Banning NEW visas for a limited time would be very different from what has actually happened, which is to bar people with established lives in the US from returning to their families.

A president does have a duty to keep America secure--in fact it could be argued that is the primary duty of a president. However there is no evidence that this particular order does anything to help make America more secure, and the duty to keep America secure has to be balanced against our responsibility not to discriminate on the basis of national origin. I think the 9th circuit and the district court got it right that the facts don't justify backing the president's decision.

It is certainly going to be an "interesting" four years. Trump seems determined to do what he said he would do. But there are a LOT of people on a lot of levels (women, tech leaders, state governments, "sanctuary" cities, other countries including some traditional US allies, etc) who are equally committed and organized to resist him. Both the executive order and the court action against it are unprecedented especially when one considers the speed with which things are happening. Hard to know what the outcome will be.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

SivaGanesha

Trump seems determined to do what he said he would do.

Like releasing his tax returns when he became a candidate - oh, wait...

Like appointing a special prosecutor on his first day - oh wait...

Like "immediately" repealing and replacing the ACA - oh wait...

Like revealing details of hacking by January 5th - oh wait...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

With regards to the ACA, which concerns me much more than the other three, he did in fact issue an executive order pretty much immediately. Of course on that one he can't act without Congress. And it will take time to get legislation through Congress, even a Republican Congress.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

SivaGanesha

With regards to the ACA, which concerns me much more than the other three, he did in fact issue an executive order pretty much immediately. Of course on that one he can't act without Congress. And it will take time to get legislation through Congress, even a Republican Congress.

“When we win on Nov. 8 and elect a Republican Congress, we will be able to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare. We have to do it. I will ask Congress to convene a special session so we can repeal and replace,” Trump, Nov 1 2016, King of Prussia, PA.

Apparently "immediately" means "maybe sometime in 2018".

(And just curious, why do the other three blatant lies not bother you?)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think Trump and Congress are pretty serious about acting on ACA by the end of 2017. That is effectively immediately given that people already have their policies locked in for 2017 making it hard for any changes to take effect until a new year begins. I could be wrong but for better or worse I don't see this particular can being kicked down the road past late 2017.

The reason this one bothers me more is because there is more uncertainty involved for me personally. How much health care costs affects me personally much more than the other stuff.

SivaGanesha

I think Trump and Congress are pretty serious about acting on ACA by the end of 2017. That is effectively immediately given that people already have their policies locked in for 2017 making it hard for any changes to take effect until a new year begins. I could be wrong but for better or worse I don't see this particular can being kicked down the road past late 2017.

The reason this one bothers me more is because there is more uncertainty involved for me personally. How much health care costs affects me personally much more than the other stuff.

Politico: The stealth Republican force behind Obamacare repeal

But in a 30-minute interview with Alexander in his Capitol Hill office — packed with artifacts from early settlements in Appalachia, from animal pelts to Sam Houston’s walking stick — he talks instead about a “safe” approach. Implementing a replacement in full, he said, could take as long as four years.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/obamacare-lamar-alexander-congress-234910
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***I think Trump and Congress are pretty serious about acting on ACA by the end of 2017. That is effectively immediately given that people already have their policies locked in for 2017 making it hard for any changes to take effect until a new year begins. I could be wrong but for better or worse I don't see this particular can being kicked down the road past late 2017.

Politico: The stealth Republican force behind Obamacare repeal

But in a 30-minute interview with Alexander in his Capitol Hill office — packed with artifacts from early settlements in Appalachia, from animal pelts to Sam Houston’s walking stick — he talks instead about a “safe” approach. Implementing a replacement in full, he said, could take as long as four years.

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/obamacare-lamar-alexander-congress-234910

I did a project in which I was basically going in and out of all of their offices after hours and I must say it's creepy how many Indigenous artifacts are sitting under glass in Capitol Building coffee tables.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

SivaGanesha

And how much time did they spend over the last three years working on their edits, or a new plan altogether? Apparently, none. They spent their time only trying to repeal it, instead of identifying issues they could improve in the meantime. So when the current president was so confident it could be repealed on "Day 1," it was because he thought he had the congressional support to do so. Then again, he also said he would replace it with something "terrific," with no indication of what that was. That tells me that assuming my above point is true, then he also had some confidence that they were actually working on a new plan.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!