winsor

Demise of the Left

This article does a pretty good job of addressing the dynamic that resulted in the outcome of the last election.

I think Trump is repellent, but he has the saving grace (such as it is) of being anything but more of the same. I hope some of his more retarded proposals, such as The Wall (with apologies to Pink Floyd), are but distractions of a master illusionist - though I doubt it.

I think focusing on Global Warming or whatever is akin to someone focusing on the lumpy paint job on a car rather than the rampant corrosion that underlies it. Just because the people that perseverate on Anthropogenic Climate Change are all too often dipshits (Al Gore et al.) does not mean that one should not seek to address the underlying issues (hint: 'carbon' is a secondary factor).

Even though I suspect that we are fucked regardless of what we do, I find the disruption associated with the incumbent to have some amusement value in the interim.

BSBD,

Winsor

RonD1120

The working class equals Trump's deplorables. That pretty much sums it up. The working class has spoken.

The GOP was able to bend HRC's statement about the deplorables into meaning it was about everyone voting for Trump when the quote was actually that half of them are deplorable. Unfortunately you can't run for president and refer to the citizens that you intend to represent in such a way even if they are something that you don't represent. In that regard she got what was coming to her.

As for a Demise, I don't think so. The GOP implosion resulted in Trump, the Democratic implosion led to HRC, both will come back stronger in the next election.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The GOP implosion resulted in Trump

Exactly. While Trump becoming POTUS was a R victory. Trump getting the nomination is a disaster for the right. Wait and see.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

The GOP implosion resulted in Trump

Exactly. While Trump becoming POTUS was a R victory. Trump getting the nomination is a disaster for the right. Wait and see.

At the first debate I said they were going to implode, so many different candidates and the same ones who had ripped each other apart during the previous elections.

DJL

The GOP was able to bend HRC's statement about the deplorables into meaning it was about everyone voting for (anyone that's not hard core left)

GOP and DNC are masters at twisting stuff that way. Only those that are looking to be outraged LET it really happen....and they are usually the converted ones already. Frankly, she was just sucking up to her base. Foolish move since she already had those votes. It just means she was human and enjoying the crowd's responses and got carried away and forgot that her audience isn't just those in front of her, but everywhere the media goes.....It's not like decades ago when this stuff doesn't get out.

IMHO - don't forget those on the left that feel that way without anyone bending any statement - It was less about HRC's statement than about just everyday people saying stuff like that and treating other people like that all the time (Speaker's Corner is a great microcosm of that). HRCs statement just brought it to a head. You can ignore the one asshole that's being obnoxious, but you can't ignore it when the leader of the movement starts to publicly disregard opposing views, belittling people's intentions, and diminishing people in the same way.

I've never seen an activist lefty 'convince' anyone to join their side that isnt already there. But I have seem them alienate people from their positions. (It's a lot like talking to a hard core religiously right person.) It's too bad, there are a lot of good intentions in there that makes it worth a listen.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You can ignore the one asshole that's being obnoxious, but you can't ignore it when the leader of the movement starts to publicly disregard opposing views, belittling people's intentions, and diminishing people in the same way.

Thankfully you took firm action, so that somebody with those traits could not become president.

SkyDekker

You can ignore the one asshole that's being obnoxious, but you can't ignore it when the leader of the movement starts to publicly disregard opposing views, belittling people's intentions, and diminishing people in the same way.

Thankfully you took firm action, so that somebody with those traits could not become president.

Yes, good example of what I'm talking about.

it was a bit tough when both front runners fit the description. I voted for Gary. Which isn't good enough for the sycophants of either team. But, as goofy as he was, at least fit what I believed in and with someone that didn't pander to that type of mindset.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It was definitely a one-way street. He says crazy shit all through the election and it invigorates his base. She says something and it invigorates his base. Democrats just sucked... And NOW they're all pissed off.

DJL

It was definitely a one-way street. He says crazy shit all through the election and it invigorates his base. She says something and it invigorates his base. Democrats just sucked... And NOW they're all pissed off.

I think the worst part though is on those occasions he said something that was obviously true, Clinton would disagree with him just to disagree. When he said that blacks were getting screwed over a sensible response would be something like "no shit Sherlock, but you wouldn't help the situation," She and her supporters instead started talking about how nice life in the ghettoes is. I can see the two of them on a platform waiting to speak in the pouring rain. Trump says "boy it sure is raining" and she'd put her umbrella away and stand there trying to smile with water running off her.

agreed. half a millions 'democrats' marched on Washington last weekend. Thousands of people are flooding airports all over the country tonight.

The Democrats are not finished any more that the republicans are. The country is split 50-50 and a few million votes 2-3% or so can swing ALL the control one way or the other.

Part of Trump's punishment may/will be seen in 2 years time if he gets to implement the rhetoric with no common sense coming from Congress. If Congress gets him in check and does their job (quite possibly not going to happen), then we can expect mid-terms to be a typical swing in another direction.