rushmc

Anti-Trump Violence Thread

My guess is we're only a few weeks (maybe less) away from Trump making "an example" out of an entire city by authorizing a military response to normal citizen actions.

If you're going to keep track of anti-Trump violence, my guess is at that point you're going to have your hands full of stuff that's going to make everything you're whining about here look benign.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/does-trump-feds-tweet-mean-national-guard-no-thanks-some-say/
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My guess is we're only a few weeks (maybe less) away from Trump making "an example" out of an entire city by authorizing a military response to normal citizen actions.

In his acceptance speach at the Republican convention, Trump said America's streets would be safe again starting on day one of his administration. Not "safer", but "safe". I've been expecting him to declare martial law for a week now.

Don

Hi Don,

I've been expecting him to declare martial law for a week now.

I am of the opinion that most of us on here think that he is irrational at best. He might just give this a go.

The question becomes, what would the military actually do if he tried to declare Martial Law?

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Don,

I am of the opinion that most of us on here think that he is irrational at best. He might just give this a go.

The question becomes, what would the military actually do if he tried to declare Marital Law?

Jerry Baumchen

My guess is the delay so far has been finding just the right general with people below him who have supported Trump and are willing to do so for future advancement.

Once the unit is in place, they don't really have to do much. Even if they just roll into town it's going to be a nightmare and as soon as somebody throws the first rock . . . it's on.
quade -

quade

***Hi Don,

The question becomes, what would the military actually do if he tried to declare Marital Law?

Jerry Baumchen

My guess is the delay so far has been finding just the right general with people below him who have supported Trump and are willing to do so for future advancement.

Once the unit is in place, they don't really have to do much. Even if they just roll into town it's going to be a nightmare and as soon as somebody throws the first rock . . . it's on.

I think he's going to have a fairly hard time finding that.

It wouldn't surprise me a whole lot (some, but not a whole lot) if he could find a general to do his bidding.

But the actual troops? Say Colonel on down?

Who would invade a town and declare martial law with no real reason?

Go against just about everything this country stands for?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think many soldiers take that oath to "Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States" seriously. That oath says something about following lawful orders, but it also would mean that they should oppose something like this.

Even if Trump could find a division or so to do this, I have a funny feeling that there would be a whole lot of other troops (either active duty or reserve/guards) who would be moving in to counter it.

I also doubt that Congress would go for it. Instant impeachment.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quade

And yet . . . that's precisely where he seems to be heading.

Maybe, maybe not.

Not that he wouldn't.
After all, he's Tweeted about "sending in the Feds" to Chicago. But that is in response to the level of violence there (more than last year, but not a record).
But that Tweet may well be a response to the Mayor's criticism.

I just doubt that he could do it.

Find a general who wants to be #2 in the dictatorship.
Find enough troops to carry it out.
Find a way to incite an incident to justify it.
Find a way to control the media (he's already failed that miserably).
Find a way to control Congress (the Rs are already taking him to task on the "election fraud" claims)

#1 & #3 maybe. #2 doubtful. #4 & #5 are already lost causes.

Not to mention that he doesn't seem to have a long enough attention span to pull it off in the first place.

And if he even tries, and screws up #1, then he's toast. If the general he selects to do this turns on him (say he is simply playing along to hang Trump and records the conversations), then impeachment is a real possibility.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

airdvr

If you guys think Trump would have trouble finding troops to obey his orders you really are delusional.

No.

We're hoping we have at least a few folks in the military willing to disobey illegal orders. We're hoping he has trouble finding troops willing to kill US citizens with little provocation. We're hoping we don't fall into a civil war for no damn good reason.
quade -

quade

***If you guys think Trump would have trouble finding troops to obey his orders you really are delusional.

No.

We're hoping we have at least a few folks in the military willing to disobey illegal orders. We're hoping he has trouble finding troops willing to kill US citizens with little provocation. We're hoping we don't fall into a civil war for no damn good reason.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies foreign and domestic.

Muff #5048

quade

***If you guys think Trump would have trouble finding troops to obey his orders you really are delusional.

No.

Who said anything about killing anyone? Chicago is out of control. I'm surprised you don't lambaste him as a racist for allowing it to continue (now that you can call the POTUs a racist).
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

millertime24

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies foreign and domestic.

Average citizens going about their business in a city (regardless of the crime rate or whatever) doesn't make them "enemies."

"Following orders" does not absolve a soldier from human rights violations and international law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders
quade -

quade

***I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies foreign and domestic.

Average citizens going about their business in a city (regardless of the crime rate or whatever) doesn't make them "enemies."

"Following orders" does not absolve a soldier from human rights violations and international law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

Is there a crime/murder rate which you would consider unacceptable?
Muff #5048

airdvr

Who said anything about killing anyone?

Logic. The pure logic of what would follow if troops were deployed. It is an inevitable and unescapable conclusion of the act.

As surely as the first move in a chess game will inevitably lead to pieces being taken, soon after troops are deployed, people would be killed.
quade -

JerryBaumchen

Hi Don,

The question becomes, what would the military actually do if he tried to declare Martial Law?

Jerry Baumchen

As I have stated here before. You guys are losing it!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

airdvr

If you guys think Trump would have trouble finding troops to obey his orders you really are delusional.

The last three words of your post are spot-on!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Speaking of anti-trump violence. There have been largely peaceful protests to date. But its only a matter of time till protestors take issue/action against the trump name itself.

There has been some minor skirmishing at trump Tower in NY. How long till protestors visit a trump golf course. Say Mar-a-Lago golf course. The "Winter White House" where joining dues just doubled to $200k a year. A 20' vertical spray boom on the back of a truck on a windy day with 100 gallons of glyphosate could do several million in damages in under five minutes. In the dead of night nobody would be the wiser for 3-5 days. Protestors in front of all the other golden trump properties?

There has been already http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/workers-remove-trump-nyc-apartment-buildings-article-1.2876146

Then there is trump Tower

"New York area newspapers have reported that residents are considering moving from the tower.

“These are wealthy people. They don’t need this, and they can’t take it any longer,” an unnamed real estate broker told the New York Post. “They no longer want to stay there. Some of them are already planning on moving out, and they’ll decide later whether or not they want to sell.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/11/trump-tower-protesters-new-york-security

Honestly, I'm less worried about domestic Trump properties than I am foreign ones. Regardless of whether he owns them or not, the name Trump on a building makes it a juicy target for terrorism.

I wrote about that here on SC awhile ago. People dismissed the idea.

People aren't dismissing it now.

So what happens when one of these Trump buildings gets blown up and the terrorists say it's because of the person sitting in the Oval?
quade -

quade

Honestly, I'm less worried about domestic Trump properties than I am foreign ones. Regardless of whether he owns them or not, the name Trump on a building makes it a juicy target for terrorism.

I wrote about that here on SC awhile ago. People dismissed the idea.

People aren't dismissing it now.

So what happens when one of these Trump buildings gets blown up and the terrorists say it's because of the person sitting in the Oval?

Surely even a dumb jihadi just out of the desert would know that all his business are likely hurting now. As people shun his name, jingoism, narcissistic personality. That he has insurance and would probable love the idea of an insurance company get a dead property off his distressed loan portfolio.