JerryBaumchen

The next four years are coming

wmw999

I've been known to speak Portuguese in stores with my sister-in-law. We're both US citizens who speak English fluently. Should we be castigated as well? I can assure you if have a serious put-down ready for any narrow-minded moron who thought fit to judge my abilities through her lack of them.

My mother's parents spoke Swedish with each other their whole married lives. Their children barely spoke Swedish. That's a fairly standard dynamic among immigrants.

I don't listen to country music, either. I'm what a real American looks like, just as you are, and lots of other people who don't look or sound like either of us.

Wendy P.

see that is the issue right here! Nobody said you need to give up your heritage, just that you need to adapt to your country and become an American. we are a melting pot and everyone legally coming here is welcome but they need to become an American. turning this country into what you left is stupid, if you country is so great why did you leave?

normiss

That's total bullshit, those various communities of immigrants have created some of the best neighborhoods across the entire country.
You really need to get out more.

I do get out and see all those illegals sucking our financial stability from us. they need to support themselves, pay taxes, pay for their own healthcare and stop taking money from the government.

SkyDekker

all the rest of the people of other cultures that came here in the past became Americans.

And yet so few ride horses and shoot bow and arrow.

Uh, you do realize that the natives here had never seen horses until they were brought over by those illegal immigrants from Europe, right?:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

marks2065

all the rest of the people of other cultures that came here in the past became Americans. The illegals coming now have no interest in becoming Americans, they only want to benefit from us.

So do you speak Cherokee? Navajo?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

ryoder

all the rest of the people of other cultures that came here in the past became Americans.

Uh, you do realize that the natives here had never seen horses until they were brought over by those illegal immigrants from Europe, right?:P

That's what assimilation is all about...a little of this and a little of that :P

JerryBaumchen

Hi marks,

those illegals

Were the women being berated in the video illegal?

You do know that this country does not have an official language, don't you?

Jerry Baumchen

It should have.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

JerryBaumchen

Hi marks,

those illegals

Jerry Baumchen

that said
I have no problem with people speaking different languages.

But our public schools and governments should use English only to conduct business.

Private schools and businesses can do what ever they want.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

And that's even including the fact horses were a European import. :)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rushmc

***Hi marks,

those illegals

Jerry Baumchen

It should have.

Amen!
Borders - closed to illegals but open to those who follow the laws of entry.
Language - English standard everywhere in America for business, law and education. Speak native tongue in your own neighborhood.
Culture - More difficult to standardize, think nationalism. The right to own private property and pursue free enterprise to name two examples.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Um, I was born in Massachusetts, as were my parents. I lived in Texas for 43 years until moving to Massachusetts last year. I think I'm quite American. Americans aren't all monolingual.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, it doesn't have a mandatory language, and it does have an electoral college. I guess you want to pick and choose.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Well, it doesn't have a mandatory language, and it does have an electoral college. I guess you want to pick and choose.

Wendy P.

Actually, immigrants applying for citizenship do need to learn English -- though I can't say to what level.

While we do not have an official language, the "language of the government" is English. This only means that everything filed by the government (laws, legal opinions, etc) must at least be in English. This does not prevent the additional versions in other languages, so that new immigrants or those who don't speak English to a Level 5, or even visitors, can understand the documents better.

The official language of Italy is Italian, yet I see signage in both Italian and English (and some other languages) all over the place. When I visit there, I'm not admonished and told to "learn Italian" or "go back to my own country" when I'm speaking English.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Not to anyone in particular. The official language of America is the language of money. Commerce rules the land. You can whine about it all you want but there is money to be made selling things to people who only speak Spanish. And by employing people who only speak Spanish. Smart Americans who are native English speakers are learning Spanish. Those who are less ambitious and hard working come to places like this and complain about the fact that the nation is changing.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

kallend

*** all the rest of the people of other cultures that came here in the past became Americans. The illegals coming now have no interest in becoming Americans, they only want to benefit from us.

My great grandparents came here legally and became Americans.

marks2065

see that is the issue right here! Nobody said you need to give up your heritage, just that you need to adapt to your country and become an American.

And just how the fuck do you know that the two people talking a different language to each other in that store hadn't adapted and become american?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

marks2065

****** all the rest of the people of other cultures that came here in the past became Americans. The illegals coming now have no interest in becoming Americans, they only want to benefit from us.

Did they learn to speak Navajo or Cherokee? And why don't you? After all, they were here before you or even your great grandparents.

marks2065

I do get out and see all those illegals sucking our financial stability from us.

Oh really? How exactly do you go out and see that?

A hospital or a grocery store you can see a lot!

So when you go to the store, you check the status of everyone to see if they're illegal?

That must make you very popular.

Hi mark,

As did many of my predecessors. And I 'think' that they came here legally; but I do not really know as I was not around then. Were you around when your great grandparents came here?

As to what is an American ( with apologizes to those Americans who live outside of the USA ), I am, from a DNA analysis:

Europe West: 58%
Scandinavian: 21%
Ireland: 14%
Great Britain: 6%
Finnish/Russian: 1%

The USA is the great melting pot, get used to it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) IMO the great melting pot is one thing ( of many ) that makes this country so great. YMMV