JerryBaumchen

The next four years are coming

Hi folks,

I know that this is not a first, but it will continue:

'Speak English, You're in America,'

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/speak-english-you-re-america-woman-tells-latina-shoppers-rant-n698776

And: ' . . . because she talked about how Donald Trump is going to 'fix' this'

As I mentioned in another thread before the election, the bigots and the racists are coming out of the woodwork.

It is time to stand up to them.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/speak-english-you-re-america-woman-tells-latina-shoppers-rant-n698776

As I mentioned in another thread before the election, the bigots and the racists are coming out of the woodwork.

Jerry Baumchen

I am standing up to the biggots and racists. As well as the PC fuck nuggets. My friends elected Trump.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

Jerry Baumchen

What is wrong with telling people that want to come here and live here to become Americans and assimilate to our culture? I personally think it is rude to come here and expect the people here assimilate to them.

What is wrong with telling people that want to come here and live here to become Americans and assimilate to our culture?

Being a racist bigotted fuckwit is what's wrong with that.

I personally think it is rude to come here and expect the people here assimilate to them.

They weren't expecting the bitch queen to assimilate to them. They weren't engaging her at all.

You and she might be such delicate little flowers that your tender ears can't deal with overhearing foreign words spoken between two strangers who just happen to be near you - but unfortunately you have no right to an english only safespace around you when you step outdoors. You're just going to have to button up your big boy pants and deal with it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

What is wrong with telling people that want to come here and live here to become Americans and assimilate to our culture?

Being a racist bigotted fuckwit is what's wrong with that.

I personally think it is rude to come here and expect the people here assimilate to them.

They weren't expecting the bitch queen to assimilate to them. They weren't engaging her at all.

You and she might be such delicate little flowers that your tender ears can't deal with overhearing foreign words spoken between two strangers who just happen to be near you - but unfortunately you have no right to an english only safespace around you when you step outdoors. You're just going to have to button up your big boy pants and deal with it.

How dare you challenge the right by God almighty. Of the ugly American to remain ugly. Both foreign and domestically?

Did the US not teach you Brits in 1775 and again in 1812? It is by God and by Constitution. A right to remain ugly. To deprive the dispossessed of civil considerations. etc. etc.

And to vote for Presidents as ugly as us.

When we brought slaves here from Africa we made them speak American. Then we freed them from slavery because they learned to speak American and were assimilated.

When we were done killing the Navajo tribe,the Cherokee tribe and other tribes. We gave them the right to be Americans because they were assimilated and learned to speak American.

We give our citizens the right to freedom of religion as long as they speak American and assimilate. We give citizens the right to burn the US flag as long as they speak American in public and assimilate. We give our citizens the right to shop in stores, gather and assemble in groups freely. As long as they assimilate and speak American.

...rant...over... I need to check Kellyanne Conway's tweets to see if there is anything else to tnow.

marks2065

What is wrong with telling people that want to come here and live here to become Americans and assimilate to our culture? I personally think it is rude to come here and expect the people here assimilate to them.

What I find interesting is that the lady in question and others are all assuming that they latina women were actually living in the US and thus not assimilating. Don't you ever get tourists in your country?
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Going just a bit off topic:

Phil1111

How dare you challenge the right by God almighty. Of the ugly American to remain ugly. Both foreign and domestically?

A right to remain ugly. To deprive the dispossessed of civil considerations. etc. etc.

The title character in The Ugly American was actually the good guy. Please, everyone -- it's a great book about the pitfalls of how we sometimes see ourselves and behave WRT other countries, and ways to do it better, with respect, and getting respect (and some broader horizons) in return. I encourage everyone to read it -- especially those who want to use the phrase, so it can be reclaimed and used correctly.

(and now back to your regularly scheduled SC thread topic....)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Hi marks,

What is wrong with telling . . .

Common decency.

Have you ever traveled to a non-English speaking country? If so, did you speak the local language with your friends?

I've traveled to Asia, Europe, South America, etc. I usually would do my best to learn a few words, phrases, etc in the local language. But, when I would run into another English speaking person, we communicated in our native languages; as I am very sure you would.

Jerry Baumchen

TriGirl

Going just a bit off topic:

A right to remain ugly. To deprive the dispossessed of civil considerations. etc. etc.

The title character in The Ugly American was actually the good guy. Please, everyone -- it's a great book about the pitfalls of how we sometimes see ourselves and behave WRT other countries, and ways to do it better, with respect, and getting respect (and some broader horizons) in return. I encourage everyone to read it -- especially those who want to use the phrase, so it can be reclaimed and used correctly.

(and now back to your regularly scheduled SC thread topic....)

You're right!:D.

""Ugly American" is a pejorative term used to refer to perceptions of loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior of American citizens mainly abroad, but also at home.[2][3][4][5][6][7] Although the term is usually associated with or applied to travelers and tourists, it also applies to U.S. corporate businesses in the international arena."
Emphasis on ethnocentric.
"Ethnocentrism is judging another culture solely by the values and standards of one's own culture.[1][page needed] Ethnocentric individuals judge other groups relative to their own ethnic group or culture, especially with concern for language, behavior, customs, and religion. These ethnic distinctions and subdivisions serve to define each ethnicity's unique cultural identity.[2] Ethnocentrism may be overt or subtle, and while it is considered a natural proclivity of human psychology, it has developed a generally negative connotation"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American_(pejorative)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnocentrism

and how the world sees trump.
http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2016-03-14/in-trump-the-world-sees-the-ugly-american

The world really doesn't see the US like the aforementioned article. But such conduct only goes to reinforce prejudiced minds. I say that because the exact people who make such references. Will freely admit to the generous and accepting nature of most US citizens. They know of Japanese, Chinese, Russians, Africans, Jews, Muslims, who have emigrated and found community in the US. Free from the prosecutions and encumbrances of their home countries.

The final proof is:
http://www.citylab.com/politics/2013/08/geography-americas-many-languages/6438/
60 million would represent only three million less than voted for trump. That story was from 2013 so the number is likely over 63 million now

JerryBaumchen

Hi folks,

And this is just as unacceptable: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/passengers-removed-jetblue-flight-ivanka-trump-incident-n699161

Jerry Baumchen

The shock there is that she was traveling Jetblue in coach!
So perhaps the egomania disorder does not affect the whole family.

I wouldn't even have recognized her: http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/22/ivanka-trump-flight/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Robert,

The shock there is that she was traveling Jetblue in coach!

Well, since the Donald is back-tracking on all of his campaign promises ( remember getting the Mexicans to build a wall? ), it might be that they really do not have the money that they want people to think that they have.

Hmmmmmmmm? I'm still waiting to see those promised tax returns.

:o

Jerry Baumchen

Phil1111

Did the US not teach you Brits in 1775 and again in 1812?

Yes, the way US troops sacked and burned London in 1812 certainly taught the Brits a lesson. Burned Parliament and Buckingham palace...

The White House was painted white in 1818. It covered up some of the smoke damage; President Madison smoked in bed, apparently.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

JerryBaumchen

Hi marks,

Common decency.

Have you ever traveled to a non-English speaking country? If so, did you speak the local language with your friends?

I've traveled to Asia, Europe, South America, etc. I usually would do my best to learn a few words, phrases, etc in the local language. But, when I would run into another English speaking person, we communicated in our native languages; as I am very sure you would.

Jerry Baumchen

But we are not talking about a visit we are taking about living. when you live in a country you should adapt to the ways of that country. all the rest of the people of other cultures that came here in the past became Americans. The illegals coming now have no interest in becoming Americans, they only want to benefit from us.

JerryBaumchen

Hi marks,

Common decency.

Good morning Jerry,

I would have chosen to suggest "common civility", which IMHO passed away simultaneously as we achieved mass-access to the 'net. The antagonism and personal animosities often displayed even in this forum on a skydive website can be appalling.

People hurl spiteful comments around that they (I hazard a guess) would never say to to somebody personally and directly around a DZ fire-pit.

Civility calls for treating others as you would wish to be - allowing others to quietly go about their day without unnecessary confrontation or impediment.

The hostility that Mr. Trump openly displayed during the campaign and continues as he prepares to assume the Presidency has nurtured and encouraged some very hateful characteristics among some of his supporters.

People that know me, also know that I have no problem publicly speaking my mind and calling people out to their face(s). Ask anybody at the Bent Prop in Eloy this past 6 weeks who badgered me enough to finally engage in conversation about Mr. Trump.

However, unlike the Twitterer-in-Chief, I am always prepared to stand accountable for my words.

In the real world.

Kindest regards, and Merry Christmas Jerry.

John

I've been known to speak Portuguese in stores with my sister-in-law. We're both US citizens who speak English fluently. Should we be castigated as well? I can assure you if have a serious put-down ready for any narrow-minded moron who thought fit to judge my abilities through her lack of them.

My mother's parents spoke Swedish with each other their whole married lives. Their children barely spoke Swedish. That's a fairly standard dynamic among immigrants.

I don't listen to country music, either. I'm what a real American looks like, just as you are, and lots of other people who don't look or sound like either of us.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)