billvon

Russia swayed US election

I think this may be the first time in history that a foreign country has swayed a US election to their preferred candidate.

=====================
Russia Hacked Republican Committee but Kept Data, U.S. Concludes

Doug Mills / The New York Times
By DAVID E. SANGER and SCOTT SHANE
December 9, 2016

WASHINGTON — American intelligence agencies have concluded with “high confidence” that Russia acted covertly in the latter stages of the presidential campaign to harm Hillary Clinton’s chances and promote Donald J. Trump, according to senior administration officials.

They based that conclusion, in part, on another finding — which they say was also reached with high confidence — that the Russians hacked the Republican National Committee’s computer systems in addition to their attacks on Democratic organizations, but did not release whatever information they gleaned from the Republican networks.

In the months before the election, it was largely documents from Democratic Party systems that were leaked to the public. Intelligence agencies have concluded that the Russians gave the Democrats’ documents to WikiLeaks.
======================

I think this may be the first time in history that a foreign country has swayed a US election to their preferred candidate.

Ummmmm.....I'm guessing the good old USA has attempted this many times in other countries. Did Russia sway the election? We will never know, just like we will never fully understand the Comey effect. But it sure looks like they attempted to.

Which in and of itself is the point.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

More fake news?

Just like those here who said Hillary got the most votes ever:S

We will see but I know that one makes you happy for now Bill.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

quade

***More fake news?

Nope.

And the fall out is going to be interesting.

You have gotten your ass bit before bei g that sure of things. Didnt you predict a Hillary win?

And I know you hope beyond words it is true.

Me? I will wait for the proof...
Abraham Lincoln

I think it is really unfair to give all the credit to Russia,
ignoring all the the hard work Comey put into doing his part.:|

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I guarantee you this story was not simply made up by an internet troll in Macedonia for web hits or by some whacko conspiracy theorists on reddit.

That is the sort of thing people mean by the term "fake news."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

Ya

We all know that it had absolutley nothing to do with her being the most flawed candidate the Dems ever nomninated:)
Abraham Lincoln

Washington Post article
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-orders-review-of-russian-hacking-during-presidential-campaign/2016/12/09/31d6b300-be2a-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?utm_term=.349f63a5594c

NY Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/us/obama-russia-election-hack.html?_r=0

Time Magazine article
http://time.com/4597274/donald-trump-russia-election-intervention-cia/

Letter from members of Senate asking to declassify the intel
https://www.wyden.senate.gov/download/?id=D12DD589-5800-4BEF-9F93-A0A122F38D29&download=1
^^^ Please note web address.

It's pretty important the material is declassified before Jan 20, 2017 because after that I'm reasonably certain it will all go down the "memory hole."
quade -

Ya

We all know that it had absolutley nothing to do with her being the most flawed candidate the Dems ever nomninatedSmile

That does absolutely nothing to explain why Trump got the GOP nomination. Rs are FUBAR.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

quade

I guarantee you this story was not simply made up by an internet troll in Macedonia for web hits or by some whacko conspiracy theorists on reddit.

That is the sort of thing people mean by the term "fake news."

Your guarantee means diddly squat to me....
Abraham Lincoln

According to Eric Schultz (through the AP's Kathleen Hennessey):

"The review, led by intelligence agencies will be a 'deep dive' into a possible pattern of 'malicious cyber activity' timed to the election season. The review will look at the tactics, targets, key actors and the US government's response to the recent email hacks, as well as incidents reported in past elections (2008 & 2012)". ....

....Schultz said the President sought the probe as a way of improving US defense against cyberattacks and was not intending to question the legitimacy of Trump's victory".

"'This is not an effort to challenge the outcome of the election,' Schultz said."

Obviously, since the Dems won in the prior 2 presidential elections, no "deep dive" was necessary or called for ...or wanted at the time, despite "reported incidents". I can only suppose (based on Obama's history as President regarding this issue) it would even be no big deal now if HRC had won.

Glenn Greenwald at "The Intercept"
https://theintercept.com/2016/12/10/anonymous-leaks-to-the-washpost-about-the-cias-russia-beliefs-are-no-substitute-for-evidence/

While he makes good points, I think it's crucial President Obama moves quickly to declassify as much of the intel as possible. I'm reasonably certain if there's anything to it at all the next administration will quickly make certain it all goes down the "memory hole."

(It should be noted Greenwald has a bit of an axe to grind with anything having to do with the CIA. Understandable considering the Snowden episode.)
quade -

quade

Understood. You also have a tenuous relationship to reality as well as ignore facts.

You are really of no concern to me.

Ditto
Abraham Lincoln

"Intelligence agencies have concluded that the Russians gave the Democrats’ documents to WikiLeaks".
OK. The Russians hacked the Democratic Party emails and Hillary's and her campaign manager. Gave them to WikiLeaks.

Now, the liberals and Democrats and Hillary supporters are parroting the "outrage of the day" principally thru the Liberal rag=the Washington Post. If they are simply complaining about Russia doing this; then yes the Russians did influence the outcome. Not a good thing at all. OK so far.

But.... There would have been no material to influence/sway the election with had the Democratic Party, Hillary herself and her campaign manger all been clean parties. Now, as I see it, these (above) parties are not really complaining about the fact that the Russians did it, but more about the election's outcome and how it could have been different if only the dirty stuff had been kept secret. Ignoring the fact that if there had been no dirt to discover, then the Russians or whoever would have been left with an empty result - nothing to show for their efforts. Nothing to sway with, so to speak.

Complaining about the Russians' hacking is fair game. Complaining about the outcome of the election because the dirt was brought to light, thereby swaying the election, is not. It's an obvious semantic tactic to blend the two, hoping the less intelligent citizens (in this case, the sore loser Liberals) will swallow it and make it a Washington Post/Obama rallying cry. Obama wants to 'get to the bottom of this hacking issue'. Uh, right...? Actually more like saying that his elves didn't win the election and the excuse is that the Russians are to blame. Possibly he, and the others should look inwardly.

x
quade

Glenn Greenwald at "The Intercept"
https://theintercept.com/2016/12/10/anonymous-leaks-to-the-washpost-about-the-cias-russia-beliefs-are-no-substitute-for-evidence/

While he makes good points, I think it's crucial President Obama moves quickly to declassify as much of the intel as possible. I'm reasonably certain if there's anything to it at all the next administration will quickly make certain it all goes down the "memory hole."

(It should be noted Greenwald has a bit of an axe to grind with anything having to do with the CIA. Understandable considering the Snowden episode.)

:D

Given the short time it will be a political declassification at best. Giddy up. Hope you enjoy it
Abraham Lincoln

ryoder

Don't forget HRC, Trump could have never won without Hillary. Don't sell her short. The only candidate on the planet that could loose to to an unhinged narcissistic sociopath, was Clinton.

brenthutch

***I think it is really unfair to give all the credit to Russia,

Don't forget HRC, Trump could have never won without Hillary. Don't sell her short. The only candidate on the planet that could loose to to an unhinged narcissistic sociopath, was Clinton.

Trevor Noah made the same comment:
"Both of these people are running against the only other candidate they could possibly beat."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

gowlerk

Ummmmm.....I'm guessing the good old USA has attempted this many times in other countries.

I'm not a Trump fan. But I have no doubt we have done this before to other countries. The election in South Vietnam in 1971 was the first one off the top of my head.

http://www.biography.com/people/nguyen-van-thieu-9542460#synopsis

Even the Huffington Post concedes we have been doing this in Latin America like forever.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-us-has-been-meddling-in-other-countries-elections-for-a-century-it-doesnt-feel-good_us_57983b85e4b02d5d5ed382bd

Did the Ruskies meddle in this election? Probably. Did it help Trump? Of course. Do the Democrats (I am one) have anything to complain about. Um, no.
[url]

Edited to show gowklerk's quote

You are either a blathering idiot to believe this propaganda from your beloved MSM without demanding a shred of evidence to back up the claims, or you are one world class lying sack of shit.

Go ahead and ban me. You think I care?

However while you are reaching for the ban button, watch the video of a press conference below (watch the whole thing) and then come back and tell everyone else with a straight face that your hero Obama, the Clintons, the US government, the CIA and your beloved MSM is telling the American people the truth.

Syria - Sovereignty and Peace. Press Conference, United Nations from Dec 9th 2016

So what is it? Are you a blathering idiot, or a lying sack of shit?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

CanuckInUSA

You are either a blathering idiot to believe this propaganda from your beloved MSM without demanding a shred of evidence to back up the claims, or you are one world class lying sack of shit.

Go ahead and ban me. You think I care?

However while you are reaching for the ban button, watch the video of a press conference below (watch the whole thing) and then come back and tell everyone else with a straight face that your hero Obama, the Clintons, the US government, the CIA and your beloved MSM is telling the American people the truth.

Syria - Sovereignty and Peace. Press Conference, United Nations from Dec 9th 2016

So what is it? Are you a blathering idiot, or a lying sack of shit?

Take it easy. He may be right. It might be the first time a foreign country has swayed our elections. But, as I outlined above, we have clearly done this to other countries. So, in that sense, he's mistaken. It happens. He's neither a blathering idiot or a lying sack of shit, he just made a mistake. Crissake, relax.