billvon

Russia swayed US election

normiss

Have you seen the "biblical interpretations" of hell?

I've seen a lot of mythology. I've seen descriptions of Zeus throwing thunderbolts from clouds. I'm reasonably certain that doesn't happen.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

kallend

The point is the electoral system is set up to level out the wishes of the states, not of individuals.

People have wishes. States are inanimate entities that have no more consciousness than rocks or rivers.

Why do you hate the Declaration of Independence: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal

Yes, states are large land masses and unless you are some kind of naturalist/mystic that thinks land has consciousness, then you are correct. Thank you for the lesson and for missing the point.

Just because I note the intent of the rules doesn't mean I advocate it (or oppose it). Try to keep up. The problem is people keep complaining about the rules after the fact instead of prior, and they also actively choose to forget the intent of the rules too and try to 'voice' their displeasure in memes and bumper sticker discussions. Again and again in politics, the shallowness of arguments used completely destroys the good arguments that could be made. It's amazing how many ideas in politics take this route.

As for that conflict (states vs individuals), did you talk to the founders about it at the time? What are you doing to change the rules other than complain?

I'm not doing anything, though I'm not opposed to a popular vote, I'm still on board with the intent of the electoral college - even if it sometimes doesn't swing toward my personal preferences.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

***Have you seen the "biblical interpretations" of hell?

I've seen a lot of mythology. I've seen descriptions of Zeus throwing thunderbolts from clouds. I'm reasonably certain that doesn't happen.

If by "Zeus" you mean accumulation of electro static energy resulting in an atmospheric discharge?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

jakee

If California was, today, split into 3 states of North, South and Central Cali and each of them had 22 electoral votes would you be less bothered about how much influence they had on the next election?

I'm not bothered. We get who we get. You note that I don't consider much difference in professional politicians regardless of party. So why would I care.

I think if Cali (or another highly populated state) split up 3 ways with the intent to divide by population, or chose to go with proportional distribution of Electoral votes, then that would be a big statement.

I'd more likely be opposed if some place with (minimal population already) tried to split up into 100 states in an attempt to hijack the electoral college and the Senate. But I suspect the country would safeguard against that type of obvious effort.
I could see an analogous discussion that all the single Senator states might represent this situation already being offered. But intent does matter as do historical boundary definitions.

I'd say that eliminating the EC would mean a huge shift in the intended basic philosophy of our original structure. I don't see people wanting this. What I see is cycles of those that didn't get their personal wishes and trying to place blame. YMMV

One of the primary problems with the electoral college is how effectively the parties are gaming it now. One reason to change the rules periodically is so that the most sophisticated gamers have to work some to get to the next system, and maybe someone else can get in play.

The better entrenched the system, the harder it is to disrupt the power structure. Unfortunately, Trump's appointments so far don't give much evidence of trying to disrupt the power structure as much as he promised.

Just getting rid of all of the rules and starting over isn't realistic, unless you get rid of all the power (and probably assets) at the same time.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

rehmwa

Just because I note the intent of the rules doesn't mean I advocate it (or oppose it). Try to keep up. The problem is people keep complaining about the rules after the fact instead of prior,

You've been here a long time and you know how to use the search function. There has been LOTS of prior criticism of the EC.

The criticism just happens to peak after the EC produces an outcome that is contrary to the wishes of the plurality or majority of the voting citizens, clearly a contravention of the dicta that "all men are created equal" and "government of the people, by the people, for the people".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'd more likely be opposed if some place with (minimal population already) tried to split up into 100 states in an attempt to hijack the electoral college and the Senate. But I suspect the country would safeguard against that type of obvious effort.

So why would that bother you? That's what the situation is now.

I'd say that eliminating the EC would mean a huge shift in the intended basic philosophy of our original structure.

Given that pretty much all EC electors always go with the popular vote in their state that is already a huge shift in the intended basic philosophy of your original structure.

I'd say that eliminating the EC would mean a huge shift in the intended basic philosophy of our original structure. I don't see people wanting this. What I see is cycles of those that didn't get their personal wishes and trying to place blame.

As always, you see what you want to see.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Wendy - I agree

Kallend - Thanks for agreeing with my comment

Jakee - Thanks for agreeing with my comment but deleting enough of it to pretend it was yours. Though if you knew what I really want to see you'd recognize that this stuff isn't even in the same universe.

pretty good result

rehmwa

Jakee - Thanks for agreeing with my comment but deleting enough of it to pretend it was yours.

If you think your comment was the same as mine you must be really bad at saying what you mean?

jakee

***Jakee - Thanks for agreeing with my comment but deleting enough of it to pretend it was yours.

If you think your comment was the same as mine you must be really bad at saying what you mean?

Me - "I could see an analogous discussion that all the single Senator states might represent this situation already being offered"

You - "So why would that bother you? That's what the situation is now. "

your other two comments were just your normal insult and no value added - as usual

rehmwa

******Jakee - Thanks for agreeing with my comment but deleting enough of it to pretend it was yours.

Me - "I could see an analogous discussion that all the single Senator states might represent this situation already being offered"

Then I guess you've lost me. What is a single Senator state?

your other two comments were just your normal insult and no value added - as usual

No, one of them was, the other was quite clearly a valid discussion point. Still, that is the kind of dishonesty we usually see from you.

jakee

Then I guess you've lost me. What is a single Senator state?

If he called it an "unmarried Senator state" would it help?

billvon

>Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily
>manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line . . . .

Well, at least Putin will get whatever he wants from the US.

You guys are the new birthers

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/

Here is the 35 page document referenced in that article: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

***Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line:

Here is the 35 page document referenced in that article: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

Its interesting but at the moment, that's all it is until there is some corroboration of the claims. Don't be like the rushMC's of the world who believe everything they are fed. Some of the report sounds credible, some sounds sensationalised - which makes me think it could easily be fake news.

If thats the case, there is no need. Trump is doing enough to torpedo himself without making shit up.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

******Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line:

Its interesting but at the moment, that's all it is until there is some corroboration of the claims. Don't be like the rushMC's of the world who believe everything they are fed. Some of the report sounds credible, some sounds sensationalised - which makes me think it could easily be fake news.

If thats the case, there is no need. Trump is doing enough to torpedo himself without making shit up.

CNN isn't exactly reliable reporting but the information was only released two hours ago. Regardless, I'm sure Putin is smiling in his bed right now.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

*********Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line:

CNN isn't exactly reliable reporting but the information was only released two hours ago. Regardless, I'm sure Putin is smiling in his bed right now.

NYT is reporting it too.

DJL

*********Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line:

I have it from reliable Russian sources, none less than Royreader8812 himself!. That Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin, Hero of the Soviet Union,President of the Russian Federation,winner of the Confucius Peace Prize and TIME's Person of the Year. Has been smiling since Nov. 8.

Stumpy

******Now it is starting to make a bit more sense. We already know that Trump is very easily manipulated, specially when his ego is on the line:

I agree. At this point it isn't even confirmed if that report is the basis of the CNN reporting. Their reporting is based on a former MI6 operative, whose previous work has been deemed credible.