billvon

Russia swayed US election

DJL

Continuing about Electoral College vote weighting.

I'll put it like this. Let's say you're the states of New Georgia, East Kansas, Left Bernistan and you you have a low population density despite the fact that you're the same size of the post apocalytical coastal states of West Virginia, East Tennesee etc. They want you to join the Republic of Trumptopia (After a few name changes, cough - Bernistan) but they have 18 million voters to your measely 2 million. Now, if you just go by a popular vote then all you'll ever do is work by the whim of the Eastern Coastal States. When the candidates come along some support rebuilding Atlantic shipping and other support Mississippi Sea Lane shipping you'll want actual leverage as to how that balance is reached. So there you have why population density should not dictate every decision.

Based on the bogus assumption that the high density states have a homogenous population, and ditto for the low density states.

All the EC does is make sure that from time to time we get a tyranny of the minority.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

***Continuing about Electoral College vote weighting.

I'll put it like this.

Yes, you'll ignore the fact that your real life example worked in the exact opposite way to what you intended, and instead will make up some hypothetical situations where every factor has been described in such a way that it supports your argument.... if real life actually mirrored that same situation. Which it doesn't.

The hypothetical is basically why it is, even with us knowing that the whole thing needs to taken apart and put back together again. As early states were added to the union they didn't want policies dictated to them just because they had a relatively small number of people within their borders. That's reflected by the number of Senators, etc, to give tiny Delaware an equal say to New York. The "Kill Indians and Take Their Land" budget wasn't of much concern for Rhode Island so why would they care, but to Missouri, it's a big deal.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

The hypothetical is basically why it is, even with us knowing that the whole thing needs to taken apart and put back together again.

Right, your hypothetical example is why it is (because it works in hypothetical-land) but your real life example is why it shouldn't be (because it doesn't work in the real world).

According to you, the Electoral College is responsible for the few thousand inhabitants of Dubuque having a fucking amazingly awesome and well funded school system, and for millions of inner city inhabitants being forced to live with an inadequate, underfunded mess that struggles to provide even the basic fundamentals of education to their children.

And apparently that's totally fine, but if it was the other way around it would be a catastrophe. Huh.

As early states were added to the union they didn't....

Why it was then is irrelevant. What happens now is relevant.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Oh Bill...stick with that depiction of the right

That's not "the right." That's what deplorables do. I've created a thread to list the things they do; it's right there on this page if you want to read it.

You seem to want to associate with those people. (Per your own statement.) Up to you.

> I see all too clearly why you disdain folks from the South.

Oh, there are plenty of deplorables throughout the US.

jakee

***The reason is that if we accept a popular vote we have to assume that 50 states and Washington DC have not screwed up their count through ineptitude or dishonesty. It's not a matter of high numbers, but where those numbers come from.

But if a state screws up the count and awards its electoral votes the wrong way, it's ok to accept those? Mistaken electoral college votes don't matter?

It puts it on the State that carried out the polling. Each state is allocated an amount of influence they can have on who becomes POTUS. Whether they accurately and honestly count their votes only affects that influence.

Bob_Church

Serious question. Is there trolling on this board? I had assumed not, considering who uses it, but I'm starting to think I was mistaken.

We would prefer you NOT troll.

We realize some can't help themselves because it's literally impossible for some to tell the difference between reality and fiction. It's not that we cut them slack though. They just refuse to acknowledge it's the Sun in the sky and not the Moon.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Serious question. Is there trolling on this board? I had assumed not, considering who uses it, but I'm starting to think I was mistaken.

We would prefer you NOT troll.

We realize some can't help themselves because it's literally impossible for some to tell the difference between reality and fiction. It's not that we cut them slack though. They just refuse to acknowledge it's the Sun in the sky and not the Moon.

I never troll. It's a cheap thrill and I prefer getting out of airplanes. What I'm saying is that I'm not good at spotting it when I'm being trolled, but I'm starting to get that feeling.

We have, we are convinced through various means, that we have been professionally trolled a few times over the years.

That said, most are simply people who have different opinions; some of which they hold for no factual reasons, but instead because they "feel" what they're saying is correct even though that can be demonstrably not the case.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

We have, we are convinced through various means, that we have been professionally trolled a few times over the years.

That said, most are simply people who have different opinions; some of which they hold for no factual reasons, but instead because they "feel" what they're saying is correct even though that can be demonstrably not the case.

Sort of like any rainy day at the DZ.

CornishChris

Hey Jakee, just wondering here. What percentage of the popular vote did the current PM of Britain receive in the last election? Zero perhaps?

Yep, zero. Same as the one before and the one before that, all the way back. We vote for a party and that party appoints a leader.

You actually vote for MPs. But everyone really votes for the leader. I live in a parliamentary democracy too. Ya can't fool me, I know how it works. But here, if the PM resigns the leadership precedent would demand an early election.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Bob_Church

Serious question. Is there trolling on this board? I had assumed not, considering who uses it, but I'm starting to think I was mistaken.

Any comment or opinion made is a troll to the one who does not like or agree with it.

The SC is basically a therapy group in cyberspace.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Why is that a troll? I found the story reported on several news outlets, and nothing it indicate it was staged or fake. Should we just ignore such behavior? Should we refuse to acknowledge that some people see Trump's election as justification for blatant racist attacks?

Don

Bob_Church

It puts it on the State that carried out the polling.

It puts it on the entire election. EC college votes matter, so the end result is the same. It's just that one way is easier than the other.

Your way, if a smaller state is corrupt, far fewer citizen's votes need to be manipulated to have a far greater effect swing on the final EC tally.

A lesser, more easily concealable level of fraud will have a massively amplified outcome. In this election for instance, the entire result could have been swung with a few tens of thousands of fraudulent votes. With a popular vote system it would have needed millions.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>Oh Bill...stick with that depiction of the right

That's not "the right." That's what deplorables do. I've created a thread to list the things they do; it's right there on this page if you want to read it.

You seem to want to associate with those people. (Per your own statement.) Up to you.

> I see all too clearly why you disdain folks from the South.

Oh, there are plenty of deplorables throughout the US.

"Those people" have always been here. Are you just now noticing?

BTW...who are "those people" you are referring to? Sounds a bit racist and fascist to me. Fortunately you and I don't get to pick and choose who lives in this country.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

>"Those people" have always been here.

Agreed. They are just emboldened now.

>BTW...who are "those people" you are referring to?

See the list I am keeping on this forum.

>Fortunately you and I don't get to pick and choose who lives in this country.

Agreed - and that really grates on Trump supporters.

GeorgiaDon

Should we just ignore such behavior?

Don

Yes, it is time for progressive liberals to do what they have been telling ordering conservatives to do the past eight years.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Just as conservatives went along with liberals and what the current president proposed (you know -- the president who was actually elected by a majority of both the people and the electoral college). The conservatives in co tress did whatever they could to block any semblance of progress that could be attributed to Obama (it was their stated policy), to the point of refusing to work with democrats on bipartisan legislation ("my way or the highway" isn't bipartisan, on either side -- good bipartisan legislation means both sides are unhappy with some part of it).

I don't remember that. I remember monkey memes, questioning of the citizenship, lawsuits, shutdowns, breath-holding, etc.

But now because Trump won a majority of electoral votes (which short-sighted people think are the only thing that matters, this year, that people should just let rudeness and bullying go unremarked "because we won."

Fuck that.

When I go shopping with my sister in law, spending money, I'll make damn good and sure we speak Portuguese the whole time. Maybe I'll wear a hijab, too, just to really tweak.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

But now because Trump won a majority of electoral votes (which short-sighted people think are the only thing that matters, this year, that people should just let rudeness and bullying go unremarked "because we won."

Fuck that.

When I go shopping with my sister in law, spending money, I'll make damn good and sure we speak Portuguese the whole time. Maybe I'll wear a hijab, too, just to really tweak.

Wendy P.

Swoon...

aphid

Fuck that.

Wendy P.

Swoon...

Wendy= Firecracker

1.1 An outstanding, exciting, or attractive person or thing:
1. frequently used to describe women who are not afraid to speak their mind, and will often do so at the behest of others.
2. one who is exciting, unpredictable, tough, hard-nosed, and free living. (could be male or female)
Then there’s firecracker. You want to be called a firecracker, I think? If you’re a woman, it means that the speaker approves of you. He (it’s usually a he) finds you feisty, energetic, opinionated, and honest. You also may be on the petite side, like a compact paper cylinder packed with explosives. The point is, it’s cute when you yell!
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2015/01/04/bright_young_thing_firecracker_whip_smart_compliments_that_may_be_backhanded.html
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=firecracker
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/firecracker

Phil1111

Fuck that.

Wendy P.

Swoon...

Wendy= Firecracker

1.1 An outstanding, exciting, or attractive person or thing:
1. frequently used to describe women who are not afraid to speak their mind, and will often do so at the behest of others.
2. one who is exciting, unpredictable, tough, hard-nosed, and free living. (could be male or female)
Then there’s firecracker. You want to be called a firecracker, I think? If you’re a woman, it means that the speaker approves of you. He (it’s usually a he) finds you feisty, energetic, opinionated, and honest. You also may be on the petite side, like a compact paper cylinder packed with explosives. The point is, it’s cute when you yell!
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2015/01/04/bright_young_thing_firecracker_whip_smart_compliments_that_may_be_backhanded.html
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=firecracker
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/firecracker

:kiss :kiss :kiss to Wendy!