skinnay

Morons and Their Flags

StreetScooby

If you're upset by someone burning a flag you need to get a life.

You clearly were not raised in a culture where being willing to die for your country and its values is something that is a point of pride, discussed over the dinner table, and used as an anchor in political discussions.

There are lots of people, mainly in "fly over country", that have that value, and live it, die for it, and it's because of their efforts the US continues to be a sovereign country. It is their efforts that allows assholes like you to burn flags. The next time you see someone in a uniform, get your shit together and say thank you. Their cultural values far transcends your punk ass values, IMO. You and your ilk are the last fucking people that should have any say in the direction the country is going. With your values, we wouldn't be sovereign for long.

If you want to live and die for a flag by all means go for it. If you want to jerk off every person in a uniform you're also welcome to do that as well. At the end of the day the borders that were drawn mean nothing; you're still just as human and worth no more or less than someone born elsewhere in the world. You were born here by chance, and more than likely you have contributed nothing significant to make the US better or worse than any other country.

It's not my fault you grew up in an isolated and sheltered area and I have no doubt that in bumble-fuck-fly-over-country the flag is the almighty staple of pride. Fortunately I grew up in a civilized metropolitan area and spent the majority of my life traveling.

But it's not just in the rural US where the majority of uneducated ("morons" if you will) reside. It's also the common denominator globally of where you find excessively proud morons willing to die for their flag. If you ever visit a major city anywhere in the world you'll find most people share these "punk ass values". If you ever visit backwoods Pakistan, you'll find your middle eastern counterparts still living in the stone ages who are willing to die for their flag as well.

If you want to live and die for a flag by all means go for it

It's the values behind the flag that people in this country die for. You clearly don't have such values.

At the end of the day the borders that were drawn mean nothing;

What an ignorant thing to say. Current borders exist today primarily because of people who were willing to die for the political systems within those borders. You're not capable of seeing that, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

more than likely you have contributed nothing significant to make the US better or worse than any other country.

I probably pay more taxes in a year than you'll ever make in a lifetime. Are you still living with your mom and dad? Do you even pay taxes?

Fortunately I grew up in a civilized metropolitan area and spent the majority of my life traveling.

How many of your friends served in the military?

If you ever visit a major city anywhere in the world you'll find most people share these "punk ass values".

I've lived in many major cities around the world, and I've always found people who are willing to die for their culture. I tend to get along really well with said people.

If you ever visit backwoods Pakistan, you'll find your middle eastern counterparts still living in the stone ages who are willing to die for their flag as well.

I don't share values with said people. Actually, I find their values to be incompatible with mine. That's one of the major reasons they are still living in mud huts, and I'm not. I'd love to see you go and burn a Pakistani flag in Pakistan. Please video it when you do. I'll look for it on liveleak.com.

I hope you never see the day where you may need to die for your values. Something tells me, you won't. And that will be the day your values end up on the trash heap of history, where they belong.
We are all engines of karma

StreetScooby

It's the values behind the flag that people in this country die for. You clearly don't have such values.

At the end of the day the borders that were drawn mean nothing;

What an ignorant thing to say. Current borders exist today primarily because of people who were willing to die for the political systems within those borders. You're not capable of seeing that, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

more than likely you have contributed nothing significant to make the US better or worse than any other country.

I probably pay more taxes in a year than you'll ever make in a lifetime. Are you still living with your mom and dad? Do you even pay taxes?

Fortunately I grew up in a civilized metropolitan area and spent the majority of my life traveling.

How many of your friends served in the military?

If you ever visit a major city anywhere in the world you'll find most people share these "punk ass values".

I've lived in many major cities around the world, and I've always found people who are willing to die for their culture. I tend to get along really well with said people.

If you ever visit backwoods Pakistan, you'll find your middle eastern counterparts still living in the stone ages who are willing to die for their flag as well.

I don't share values with said people. Actually, I find their values to be incompatible with mine. That's one of the major reasons they are still living in mud huts, and I'm not. I'd love to see you go and burn a Pakistani flag in Pakistan. Please video it when you do. I'll look for it on liveleak.com.

I hope you never see the day where you may need to die for your values. Something tells me, you won't. And that will be the day your values end up on the trash heap of history, where they belong.

Nice post sir! I don't have the patience or time to reply to the crap he posted. I guess that's my bad
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

StreetScooby

StreetScooby

Beating the living shit out of someone who is burning a flag carries a $5 fine.

I was raised in Louisiana. Then tend to take that pretty seriously, rightfully so, IMO.

I avoid both of these rural shitholes. If you really think you pay more tax than I make, I own two awesome companies in a major city, so congrats (sincerely).

gowlerk

Yes, very nice distraction and piece of media manipulation. WaPo just buys right in. Trumped again.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

It took me a while to figure out this guy's game, but I think I've finally got it.

1. Make a ridiculous statement or tweet something crazy. Make sure it is something that will fire up the base. This one is perfect. We hate flag burners! Flag burners are hippies and communists! Strip their citizenship and throw them in jail!

2. The right-wing base loves it.

3. The left-wing freaks out and directs all sorts of attention to a silly comment Trump probably doesn't even believe. The left wing takes more shots at Trump.

4. Trump now has the opportunity to act like he's been unfairly targeted by the elite left-wing whoever's.

5. The right-wing base rallies even closer around Trump, because he's been attacked again by those horrible elite media types.

6. In all the noise and confusion, everyone forgets about the very real problems the Trump administration is already having.

7. In the end, Trump controls the message, the reaction to the message, the reaction to the reaction to the message, and he wins again.

Whatever your beliefs about the man (I am not a fan), this is masterful politics.

Whatever your beliefs about the man (I am not a fan), this is masterful politics.

But it certainly is not politics as usual, that is refreshing.
Most media outlets have no idea what to do, they've been catered to for so long.
Trump changed the rules, and this is sorely needed IMHO.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

But it certainly is not politics as usual, that is refreshing.
Most media outlets have no idea what to do, they've been catered to for so long.
Trump changed the rules, and this is sorely needed IMHO.

So what is the endgame goal for this? Do you want to see the next 4 years spent in a constant state of "need to put something crazy out today since its been quiet for a few days"? That does not help to actually complete any business, which despite a lot of people thinking Washington needs eliminated - its still plays a really critical function in a lot of day to day life for a lot of people. What happens when a tweet like "Next Iranian boat to point a gun at us will be blown out of the water*" or "North Korea is so weak, their nukes are a joke, we will glass parking lot them" gets posted? Media goes crazy over it but then are we willing to back up the statement with actions? How far should the office of the presidency go towards a reality show where statements are made to get news ratings? Here is another question - just because the president makes a tweet does that make it news?

*Statement was made during the campaign.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

StreetScooby

The enlistment OATH refers to defending the Constitution, and doesn't mention the flag at all. The Constitution allows flag burning. That is what the military defends. It's your values that are distorted, placing a piece of colored fabric above the Constitution.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So what is the endgame goal for this? Do you want to see the next 4 years spent in a constant state of "need to put something crazy out today since its been quiet for a few days"? That does not help to actually complete any business, which despite a lot of people thinking Washington needs eliminated - its still plays a really critical function in a lot of day to day life for a lot of people. What happens when a tweet like "Next Iranian boat to point a gun at us will be blown out of the water*" or "North Korea is so weak, their nukes are a joke, we will glass parking lot them" gets posted? Media goes crazy over it but then are we willing to back up the statement with actions? How far should the office of the presidency go towards a reality show where statements are made to get news ratings? Here is another question - just because the president makes a tweet does that make it news?

Good points, and I don't disagree to an extent.
I don't think anyone knows the end game, but so far he's defeated media outlets at their own games.
Instead of reporting facts in recent years, most media outlets are pushing agendas, far beyond editorial scope.
I think Trump is toying with that, and not playing by the perceived established rules.
I truly believe a media reset wouldn't be a bad thing, or a little bit of humility, but that ain't gonna happen.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

....a piece of colored fabric ....

All of you who refer to your flag as just a piece of cloth are being deliberately obtuse and disingenuous.

Your soldiers wear US flag shoulder patches on their uniforms.
Your politicians wear US flag lapel badges.
When a prominent US citizen passes away, you fly the US flag at half mast.
Remember Iwo Jima and the planting of the US flag.
When a soldier dies in Afghanistan his remains are brought back in a US flag draped coffin.
At his funeral his widow is presented with a folded US flag.

In each example above, your US flag is a symbol.

Freedom of speech does not change the fact that by burning that symbol you make a mockery of all of the above and you insult every soldier - serving or dead.

StreetScooby

There are lots of people, mainly in "fly over country", that have that value, and live it, die for it, and it's because of their efforts the US continues to be a sovereign country.

Bullshit. The military is more of a tool of the government to press its external agendas than anything else in today's civilization. If you really think that the US would be invaded and conquered then you're way past drinking the military cool-aid.

It is their efforts that allows assholes like you to burn flags.

Bullshit again. It's the US constitution that allows for that. And as that isn't in any danger of going away via military force anytime soon your argument is moot.

The next time you see someone in a uniform, get your shit together and say thank you. Their cultural values far transcends your punk ass values, IMO. You and your ilk are the last fucking people that should have any say in the direction the country is going. With your values, we wouldn't be sovereign for long.

The next time you see a working stiff get your head out of your ass and say thank you. They might be an engineer who keeps the plane that the troops are flying in airborne, or a doctor who trains the medics that keeps the troops alive, or miner who keeps the chemicals used in their fucking guns coming.

I'm so fed up of the pedestal that people like you put your military on. Absolutely - they should be thanked for doing their jobs and risking their lives, but no more so than police officers or EMTs. And they shouldn't expect that treatment more than anyone else who keeps society that they're 'defending' running or any other of a multitude of professions that contributes to society. Being in the military does not make one inherently more deserving of respect than everyone else.

I've lived in countries where serving in the military isn't exactly a stigma, but its certainly not something to be proud of or has gratitude associated with it. It's a job and they signed up to do it. I think that's wrong and people who risk their lives deserve respect for that, but the second it goes past 'good job' and towards 'you owe them', then I disagree. And that's protected by the constitution too - not the military.

winsor

*********Interesting to note that Hillary Clinton sponsored a bill making flag burning illegal. Fines up to $100,000 and up to one year in jail....

I kind of like the Louisiana approach.

Burning a flag is perfectly legal.

Beating the living shit out of someone who is burning a flag carries a $5 fine.

That's cool, because also in Louisiana burning a flag and then shooting dead someone who you think is about to beat the living shit out of you because of it carries no penalty at all.

Sure, if you can get a jury that consists of Californians.

There's no need for a jury.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'd love to see you go and burn a Pakistani flag in Pakistan.

StreetScooby's view on acceptable behaviour: "If it's good enough for a baying mob of Pakistanis, it's good enough for me!"

:S:D

Erroll

Freedom of speech does not change the fact that by burning that symbol you make a mockery of all of the above and you insult every soldier - serving or dead.

No you don't.

And even if you did, soldiers don't own the flag, and when it comes to deciding what citizens of ther nation can or can't do they get the same 1 vote as everyone else.

As the old saying goes, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Burning a flag doesn't disrespect soldiers. Maybe in your country the flag is a symbol of the military. In the US the flag is a symbol of the country and the country's values. The right to say and do what you want is a central part of those values. When I see someone burning the flag I'm not offended because I was a US soldier. I find burning the flag distasteful, but I'm strangely proud of my country when someone burns a flag and doesn't get thrown in jail like he would in some other places. In a very perverse way, flag burning is one of the things that makes America great.

- Dan G

Erroll

All of you who refer to your flag as just a piece of cloth are being deliberately obtuse and disingenuous.

When a soldier dies in Afghanistan his remains are brought back in a US flag draped coffin.

None of which matters one whit, since the Constitution allows flag burning, and not one soldier's enlistment oath mentions defending the flag but every soldier's oath pledges to defend the Constitution.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

None of which matters one whit, since the Constitution allows flag burning, and not one soldier's enlistment oath mentions defending the flag but every soldier's oath pledges to defend the Constitution.

The constitution also allows capital punishment. I know that you are particularly strongly opposed to it.

DanG

As the old saying goes, "I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Burning a flag doesn't disrespect soldiers. Maybe in your country the flag is a symbol of the military. In the US the flag is a symbol of the country and the country's values. The right to say and do what you want is a central part of those values. When I see someone burning the flag I'm not offended because I was a US soldier. I find burning the flag distasteful, but I'm strangely proud of my country when someone burns a flag and doesn't get thrown in jail like he would in some other places. In a very perverse way, flag burning is one of the things that makes America great.

Nothing "perverse" about it (yes, I looked it up to make sure).

One of the things that "Makes America Great" is our ability to question and criticize it.

When the government or those in charge of it are doing "bad things", one of the most obvious and blatant ways to criticize that is to burn the most obvious symbol of the country. It is the ultimate freedom of speech.

Also, the "$5 fine for assaulting a flag burner" is not true. The bill was passed, but not enacted. The fine would have been $25. And it was pushed through with a lot of support from...

David Duke. Go figure.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

Nothing "perverse" about it (yes, I looked it up to make sure).

One of the things that "Makes America Great" is our ability to question and criticize it.

When the government or those in charge of it are doing "bad things", one of the most obvious and blatant ways to criticize that is to burn the most obvious symbol of the country. It is the ultimate freedom of speech.

Also, the "$5 fine for assaulting a flag burner" is not true. The bill was passed, but not enacted. The fine would have been $25. And it was pushed through with a lot of support from...

David Duke. Go figure.

Duke thought it was to protect the Confederate battle flag.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.