quade

Because we can't have a nice weekend without Trump making a ludicrous claim

Please see attachment first.

The claim just makes no sense whatsoever.

If the DNC or somebody else was going to cheat to win and therefore there were millions of votes cast for Clinton rather than Trump, they would have done it in swing states where it would have given Clinton the election rather than simply the popular vote.

We all knew he was a bad loser, but it turns out he's also a bad winner?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/27/politics/donald-trump-voter-fraud-popular-vote/index.html

Maybe the concept of logic just eludes him?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think the only way to securely remove his twitter privileges would be to amputate his thumbs.

I honestly see him releasing something he really shouldn't (as opposed to simply stupid) on twitter, simply because it pissed him off.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

I think the only way to securely remove his twitter privileges would be to amputate his thumbs.

I honestly see him releasing something he really shouldn't (as opposed to simply stupid) on twitter, simply because it pissed him off.

Wendy P.

That may be why he isn't bothering with CIA briefings. He is smart enough to know he shouldn't be trusted with secrets.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

quade

If the DNC or somebody else was going to cheat to win and therefore there were millions of votes cast for Clinton rather than Trump, they would have done it in swing states where it would have given Clinton the election rather than simply the popular vote.

We all knew he was a bad loser, but it turns out he's also a bad winner?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/27/politics/donald-trump-voter-fraud-popular-vote/index.html

Maybe the concept of logic just eludes him?

Stupid or cunning? Seriously I read a very interesting article in Time about why the electoral college vote should prevent Trump getting in. Could this be a pre emotive strike on the risk the college don't put him through?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

Stupid or cunning? Seriously I read a very interesting article in Time about why the electoral college vote should prevent Trump getting in. Could this be a pre emotive strike on the risk the college don't put him through?

That's almost certainly not going to happen.

What IS going to happen though is an audit of the Wisconsin election (possibly others as well) to see if the votes reported electronically match up with the printed copies the voters saw when they pressed the last "okay" button to cast their votes.

If there is a significant discrepancy between the electronic and paper totals, then by all rights it ought to trigger a nation-wide audit of every similar electronic voting machine.

What's really bizarre about Trump's tweet is his claim validates the concept the entire country ought to be audited electronic vs paper.

I think it would be better gamesmanship on his part to just stay silent on the subject as opposed to promoting an action which could throw the legitimacy of the entire thing into question.
quade -

quade

If the DNC or somebody else was going to cheat

Where in the attachment did it say that they were trying to cheat?

It's simply an allusion to the idea that there are illegals voting in the southwestern blue states - How many? We really don't know.

Personally, I think this should be a queue to republicans that the Hispanic/minority vote really isn't a threat to them, so they should just stop bitching about it already.

As for those shouting for a "popular vote" election - do you really think that's a good idea in a country with 60-70% white and 80-90% christian? There are a lot of people on both sides that don't vote because they think that it doesn't matter in their particular State. If all of a sudden they felt that their vote would actually matter, then there should be a higher turnout - and logic says that the majority will win that fight. This would ultimately destroy the morale of the minorities thus decreasing their turnout year after year.

Now some may say that by 2040 whites/christian won't be the majority anymore, but they've been saying that for years - they were saying that was gonna happen back in 2000.

...but let's say that it's true. Let's say that white Christians won't be the majority for much longer. We have to remember that those that voted for trump were children of immigrants, many of which were pollacks, micks and wops that were treated like shit just like the spicks and ragheads are today. This isn't about racism, this is just the same shit that's been going on for years - so who's to say that history won't repeat itself regardless of the ethnicity of the majority?

Republicans are in power now, and I pray that they seize the opportunity to unite this country rather than waste time boasting about their petty victory - to prove to God that they are not the xenophobic racist bigots of which many have been falsely accused.

Likewise, when Trump executes a more moderate presidency unlike that which he promised, I pray that the democrats embrace it as an opportunity to unite, rather than to mock and divide us even further.

(Fuck - I've turned into a goddamned idealist. . .)

Where in the attachment did it say that they were trying to cheat?

Right there where he used the word "illegally."

It's simply an allusion to the idea that there are illegals voting in the southwestern blue states - How many? We really don't know.

Do you want to do the math on that and get back to me?

Seriously. Think about it. What you're suggesting makes no sense whatsoever. 11 million undocumented across the country, but only the ones in the blue states (and 20% of the total) somehow got it together to illegally vote?

That's tin-foil hat territory.
quade -

quade

Do you want to do the math on that and get back to me?

Seriously. Think about it.

There are just too many variables - the rust belt alone blew my mind.

I don't want to think too hard about it - that wasn't the point. Please narrow it down for me.

Ultimately the point was that the majority, regardless of race, will always be the assholes since they are the ones that are most threatened by immigrants.

My hope is that we can overcome that - like I said, I've become an idealist.

quade

Seriously. Think about it. What you're suggesting makes no sense whatsoever. 11 million undocumented cross the country, but only the ones in the blue states (and 20% of the total) somehow got it together to illegally vote?

To address your edit:

eh?

Ya, I'd guess that the majority of illegal votes came from the southwest. Not too many mexicans in the rust belt - but whatever. I get your point.

Now try addressing mine.

As far as I can tell, you've made no point.

I believe you're the one misinterpreting his tweet. At the very least, your interpretation doesn't match any analysis of it I've read today by anyone else.

Regardless, Trump's claim is completely unfounded in evidence.
quade -

quade

As far as I can tell, you've made no point.

I believe you're the one misinterpreting his tweet.

Nope, you made the allusion that he accused the DNC of cheating.

He's simply trying to tell people that he would've won the popular vote if it weren't for illegal votes.

You're both wrong.

Congratulations.

The point of my post was about unity - your response shows that it's not likely and supports my fear of being an idealist. Thanks.

quade

***Stupid or cunning? Seriously I read a very interesting article in Time about why the electoral college vote should prevent Trump getting in. Could this be a pre emotive strike on the risk the college don't put him through?

That's almost certainly not going to happen.

True, but Federalist #68 (Friday, March 14, 1788, Alexander Hamilton) states clearly that is what SHOULD happen, so as to get a President who is "pre-eminent for ability and virtue".

"The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States. It will not be too strong to say, that there will be a constant probability of seeing the station filled by characters pre-eminent for ability and virtue."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Coerce,

Just a side note, being an "idealist" isn't something to aspire to. It means the person is out of touch with reality. In that respect, nothing has really changed with you. Being an "idealist" is incredibly easy; just create a fictional world where in your mind everything works perfectly. Reality can never be like that.
quade -

It is good to see the wonderful sources, the great sources, the best sources, the President-Elect uses to form his opinions:

Who needs the CIA when you have the interwebz and Alex Jones.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-millions-illegal-aliens-voted-greg-phillips-three-million-tweet-infowars-alex-jones-a7443006.html

SkyDekker

It is good to see the wonderful sources, the great sources, the best sources, the President-Elect uses to form his opinions:

Who needs the CIA when you have the interwebz and Alex Jones.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-millions-illegal-aliens-voted-greg-phillips-three-million-tweet-infowars-alex-jones-a7443006.html

Apparently, the intel briefers need to hire an Alex Jones impersonator to meet personally with Trump, while wearing an earpiece into which the briefers tell him what to say.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Elisha

Or was it the report referenced here on this very objective unbiased website? :P:)

The paper is kind of hilarious. People should read it. It's not original research but "meta-analysis" and the conclusion it makes for the 2008 election has range of about 2 orders of magnitude. Hey! Maybe it's 35,000 people or maybe it's 2.8 MILLION people!

Yep, that's got to be accurate or maybe not.
quade -

No more ludacris than Jill Stein's claim, now backed by Hillary!!!

We better have a recount! Even though the machines are not hooked up to the internet and after you take into account the demographics of the areas Trump won, there are no anomalies, there is the off chance that if someone had access to the voting machines that they could have been tampered with... But there is no proof, but we better have a recount anyway just to be safe....

I wonder why they are only doing the recount in states that Trump won?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

:S Because it literally would make zero difference to the outcome if they did it in states Hillary won. Trump would still be president elect.
What a ludicrous (not ludacris ;) ) question...

Any recount would be bad for the country at this point - especially if Hillary won. The margins are too small and the country too divided to accept any outcome of a recount other than the current one.

I'm actually dissapointed Hillary has jumped on the recount train.

jgoose71

No more ludacris than Jill Stein's claim, now backed by Hillary!!!

We better have a recount! Even though the machines are not hooked up to the internet and after you take into account the demographics of the areas Trump won, there are no anomalies, there is the off chance that if someone had access to the voting machines that they could have been tampered with... But there is no proof, but we better have a recount anyway just to be safe....

There is no proof of widespread voter fraud, yet you have championed voter registration laws, just in case, cause it could happen, etc.

Now all of a sudden you are concerned about proof?