ryoder

Fidel Castro dead

quade

Okay, seeing it move elsewhere now.

Polis full tweet was: "Fidel Castro has died... This time for real"

Fark one-liner: "CIA finally succeeds at assassinating Fidel Castro at age 90":D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

brenthutch

I know it has been a tough couple of weeks for the left. Trump wins, Castro dies, Venezuela in collapse, record oil and gas find, Obama's legacy is reduced to the closing of Gitmo.... oh wait, as I said a tough couple of weeks.

On the other hand there is all this:

http://addictinginfo.org/2012/05/12/150-achievements-of-liberalism-that-conservatives-seek-to-destroy/

History marches on and progress continues. It's like the tide. And like sea level rise. Can't be stopped.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***I know it has been a tough couple of weeks for the left. Trump wins, Castro dies, Venezuela in collapse, record oil and gas find, Obama's legacy is reduced to the closing of Gitmo.... oh wait, as I said a tough couple of weeks.

On the other hand there is all this:

http://addictinginfo.org/2012/05/12/150-achievements-of-liberalism-that-conservatives-seek-to-destroy/

History marches on and progress continues. It's like the tide. And like sea level rise. Can't be stopped.

You need to tighten up your metaphors bro.

Good riddance. However, some say his brother Raul is meaner. They've been cracking down hard on dissidents in Cuba.

Motherfucker outlasted 10 US presidents, at least... I guess he didn't want to see Trump take the oath of office. "fuck that, I'm done, erk!" (slumps over)

ryoder

Castro is a case in point for what may be expected for what fills the power vacuum after a despot is overthrown - the cure is as bad as or worse than the disease.

When Dick Nixon was forced out of office, my father - no fan of Tricky Dick - noted that the fact that we underwent 'regime change' with hardly a ripple spoke volumes for our system of government, flawed though it may be.

Batista was truly dreadful in many of ways, and his government was a study in corruption, but the 'beards' were the kind of people who give revolutionaries a bad name.

Like the recent election, being critical of one side does not imply support for the other. The both suck out loud.

I suspect that Cuba's isolation serves the same purpose as did the Wall between the BRD and the DDR (East and West Germany), somewhat of a social filter between the brilliant achievers in the West and the truly mediocre denizens of the East. After seeing the former West Germany awash in Ossies, South Korea seems to have rethought the benefits of reunification.

It is said that a people get the government they deserve. If so, those who remained in Cuba after the Revolution are the pits.

BSBD,

Winsor