airdvr

Dems...what is it that scares you about Trump?

rushmc

***Hi brent,

Wrong

:o rushmc is wrong. Wow, this needs to be recorded for posterity.

Jerry Baumchen

I am wrong
I should have said a few of them not all.......
Yeah - first you said all of his picks weren't donors, now you're saying a few of them aren't.

That doesn't just invalidate your point, it reverses it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Could you imagine the ranting Rush would e doing on here if HC had won and she had given a cabinet position to somebody who gave $6 million to her campaign?

He would have been calling for investigations. He would have been calling for jail time. Lock her up, lock her up.

Now....crickets.

What I'm telling you is, it's entirely possible Trump will have less to do with the show than the average viewer watching it. The title is meaningless.

Which show are you referring to?
;)

I think this appears to apply to everything he does and I expect it to continue in the Oval Office.

quade

The title "Executive Producer" has a wide range of meanings. Everything from "guy who puts up the money" to "guy who calls the shots" to "guy we talked to one day and it became a thing and that's it."

My guess in this case it's pretty meaningless. Mark Burnett is the real guy in charge.

Mark Burnett is also producing the Trump inauguration, so there is a large amount of payback ego stroking at the very least.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mark-burnett-helping-plan-trump-inauguration-report-954263

See? Even the Newt is scratching his head over this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/newt-gingrich-trump-celebrity-apprentice_us_584b984de4b04c8e2bb018e2
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A (more liberal than me) relative worked his entire career for competitors of Exxon. He said that based on what he knows of Tillerson, it might not be nearly as bad a choice as some folks are saying.

Maybe no one is the cartoon that they look like from the outside. Including us... Or it could be that we tend to excuse a lack of perfection in people whose points of view we think we can understand and identify with. "Anyone could make a mistake like that" vs "heads should roll!"

I still think the worst choice won the Presidency, but, well, I can't change that, can I?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

no one is the cartoon that they look like from the outside. Including us... Or it could be that we tend to excuse a lack of perfection in people whose points of view we think we can understand and identify with. "Anyone could make a mistake like that" vs "heads should roll!"

You always hit the nail square -

1 - everyone on the 'other' team is represented by the worst fanatics of the group - quick!! dehumanize them, label them, make up fake stuff (because it's probably real and we can't wait - you just KNOW what the MEAN when they say that), purposely misinterpret harmless statements in the worst possible way, call them deplorable names - ignore the fact that the majority of these are family and neighbors and mostly decent people

2 - everyone on my team has great intentions and are human - forgive them, rationalize them, validate them, when they say something stupid reinterpret it in the best way even if it's not what they meant - ignore the fact that even in this group a tiny fraction are totally out to lunch and really crappy people

(the above is not what we call "debate", or an "exchange of ideas" - it's just assholery and self-validation)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

1 - everyone on the 'other' team is represented by the worst fanatics of the group

OK, I'll bite. Please tell us which of Trump's announced cabinet picks have not staked out some kind of extreme position in the area of their appointment.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

1 - everyone on the 'other' team is represented by the worst fanatics of the group

OK, I'll bite. Please tell us which of Trump's announced cabinet picks have not staked out some kind of extreme position in the area of their appointment.

^ nice example though a bit sideways for the more 'direct' readers in the audience. thanks

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wonder how many of Trump's billionaire cabinet choices understand the issues facing the working class folks who apparently voted for Trump in the forlorn expectation that he would change anything.

More than ever before we have government by the wealthy for the wealthy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm increasingly convinced Trump is probably the best thing that ever happened to the Dems.

(Edit - sorry, had to solve a work problem and posted that too early!)

Some of my reasons being:
Cabinet picks - its almost like he has gone out and purposefully picked the most offensive, and least appropriate people he possibly could, including people who have openly said they are unsuitable for the role! It's almost a cabinet full of caricatures.
This has emboldened a lot of the GOP members to start throwing some of their more offensive policy ideas into the ring.
(Incidentally - it seems some of the more moderate ones are starting to realise and fight back, which could make this session of congress very interesting.)

Healthcare reform - Repeal and Delay seems to be the preferred option. Its also the option most likely to cause the biggest problems possible and set the US up nicely for a decent version of Single Payer - particularly with the threats about SS etc. There are things that the GOP could (and should) do to improve the ACA, but this is likely to remove the coverage from a LOT of people.

The unneeded exaggeration (aka lies)
Case in point, the boeing tweet. He sent the tweet that said:
"Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order! "
Its posturing and over dramatic, but it would have been semi acceptable if it had read:
"Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control. Cancel order!"
..... but he threw in the $4B number in - which wasn't needed! He'd have made his point fine without that demonstrable lie. This seems to be the pattern. He hits a lot of notes that resonate with a lot of people but then takes the hyperbole and dramatics waay over the top. Even the most rabid of right wing fans aren't going to be able to explain away every single statement if he goes on like this if they have even half a brain - as he has an amazing ability to contradict himself even in the same sentence.

That's just a couple of examples but at the moment it looks like he's setting the dems up very nicely for next time the pendulum swings. They just need to find someone halfway electable.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Stumpy

He hits a lot of notes that resonate with a lot of people but then takes the hyperbole and dramatics waay over the top. Even the most rabid of right wing fans aren't going to be able to explain away every single statement if he goes on like this if they have even half a brain - as he has an amazing ability to contradict himself even in the same sentence.

In addition to the issue about lying, I sometimes wonder if there's a basic personality thing involved in how people react to Trump. It's not just Dem/Rep or Left/Right. Some of us just don't like to work with the over-the-top personality type who acts like a big dumb idiot, a loudmouth jerk, a windbag, spouting crap and insulting people. That's "not one of us" normal people and makes it hard to give someone like that much attention. No matter what useful qualities the person might have behind the way they talk.

It's not about being a precious snowflake needing ones safe space. And we all tend to accept different behaviour in different situations -- we may talk differently at the office than when with a bunch of skydivers drinking around the campfire. Still, some of us expect a little more attention to detail when dealing with big issues, and less shooting one's mouth off.

We know there's a difference between politician' simplistic sound bites (or tweets now) and their actual plans, and that it can be tough to figure out what their actual plans and policies are, but Trump just takes everything to the extreme.

When I was a child my father told me 'engage brain THEN speak.'

Shit. I've been doing it wrong all these years :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

normiss

Trump's desire to target individuals working in government should cause serious concern by all of us.
Maybe he just wants names to submit for those 'returning' coal jobs.

As commendable as that is, it's only a temporary stop. Once Trump is in office he has the power of the intelligence community to make the list. At least this gives the people 38 days to blank their histories. Even that isn't a perfect solution, but Trump just asking for the list to begin with is a total dick(tator) move.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

Trump's desire to target individuals working in government should cause serious concern by all of us.
Maybe he just wants names to submit for those 'returning' coal jobs.

As someone who constantly sticks up for the victim when someone is killed in a police shooting I'm surprised to see you poke fun at the people who've lost their jobs during the EPA's witch hunt against coal. I guess only those who fit your narrative are deserving of your support.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne