airdvr

Dems...what is it that scares you about Trump?

normiss

Fewer jobs, more debt, more nuke power weapons around the planet, some pretty big trade issues, oh, and he appears to want to make a fat pile of cash off our backs.

WOW:o

Just fucking WOW!:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

airdvr

Seriously...what do you think will happen?

I will admit that actions speak louder than words, which is pretty hard to believe considering the volume level Trump is set at. He definitely goes up to 11.

That said, since he is a complete political unknown, we only have the words he has used on the campaign trail and the people he is visibly building alliances to go on. Obviously, we can't see through his non-transparent meetings.

That said, even if he himself does nothing whatsoever, he has emboldened several factions of the Republican party which previously were considered too nutty to even be taken seriously. Perhaps that is what got him elected, but the Republican party themselves also considered those same groups to be nutty and dangerous and ignored them as well.

So, here we have a President-elect who is currently being visibly supported in public by neo-Nazis and while the President-elect has denounced the generic concept of racism, has yet to specifically denounce the neo-Nazi groups.

Personally, I hope it's all just a smokescreen, but a smokescreen for what? Well, the neo-Nazis aren't members of Congress, so . . . what is it they want to do? In some cases it's only slightly less frightening.

Me? I personally have little to fear from Trump unless he decides to go full-dictator and purge the US of anyone who opposes him. Okay, I'm definitely in that group and the NSA has all the social media to do that against me already. My last words are going to be something akin to, "fuck you and the Nazi horse you rode in on." I don't think it will make the history books, but I'll feel momentarily good about it.

What I do fear is a LOT of people I know who are at risk of losing their health insurance, their ability to stay in the US, their ability have birth control, their ability to be open about their sexuality, their ability to visit their loved ones as they die in a hospital . . .

Actually, quite a bit if even half of what Trump said on the campaign trail comes true.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Me? I personally have little to fear from Trump . . . .

True of me as well. His tax cuts for the rich will probably help me, and since I'm white, native and straight, I'm not going to be on the receiving end of the racism/homophobia/xenophobia/white supremacy he is stirring up. It's the people I work with, jump with and play with who I worry about.

I worry for the rust belt folk who think they have been "given a voice" by a guy who "speaks his mind" and is "just like them". I suspect they are going to get a rude shock.
Its probably good for me with my company in GA, I'll probably do reasonably well out of the ways he will help corporates and my colleagues will do well on tax grounds.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

While I realize that comprehension isn't one of your strong suites, it might help if you could research and understand the ramifications of these existing agreements and the effect on the balance of power in some reasons should we remove the US from them.
If the US isn't there to defend South Korea, it's gonna be an electric ride with The Glorious Leader. South Korea and Japan would both want a nuclear deterrent. With a quickness.
Raytheon and Lockheed Martin might have to start layoffs....

You find out yet how he will fund his tax cuts plans???
Ever seen a trade war with China a.k.a. Gyyyynah.
Conflict of interest in just about every word out of his mouth?

not to mention removing women's rights and limiting the vote for minorities, dismantling gay rights and marriage equality.

tax cuts for the very wealthy and removing the minimum wage, or at least never increasing it. Poverty rising, less health care, so a poorer, less educated, unhealthy population with more teen pregnancies and more children given up for adoption,

and perhaps the rise of the neo-nazi movement, certainly already more empowered than ever in recent years.

quade

***Seriously...what do you think will happen?

I will admit that actions speak louder than words, which is pretty hard to believe considering the volume level Trump is set at. He definitely goes up to 11.

That said, since he is a complete political unknown, we only have the words he has used on the campaign trail and the people he is visibly building alliances to go on. Obviously, we can't see through his non-transparent meetings.

That said, even if he himself does nothing whatsoever, he has emboldened several factions of the Republican party which previously were considered too nutty to even be taken seriously. Perhaps that is what got him elected, but the Republican party themselves also considered those same groups to be nutty and dangerous and ignored them as well.

So, here we have a President-elect who is currently being visibly supported in public by neo-Nazis and while the President-elect has denounced the generic concept of racism, has yet to specifically denounce the neo-Nazi groups.

Personally, I hope it's all just a smokescreen, but a smokescreen for what? Well, the neo-Nazis aren't members of Congress, so . . . what is it they want to do? In some cases it's only slightly less frightening.

Me? I personally have little to fear from Trump unless he decides to go full-dictator and purge the US of anyone who opposes him. Okay, I'm definitely in that group and the NSA has all the social media to do that against me already. My last words are going to be something akin to, "fuck you and the Nazi horse you rode in on." I don't think it will make the history books, but I'll feel momentarily good about it.

What I do fear is a LOT of people I know who are at risk of losing their health insurance, their ability to stay in the US, their ability have birth control, their ability to be open about their sexuality, their ability to visit their loved ones as they die in a hospital . . .

Actually, quite a bit if even half of what Trump said on the campaign trail comes true.

A lot has been said about the issues of race, neo-Nazis, and white supremacy but I'm not sure if this is really anywhere on Trump's list of priorities. It does provide a welcome distraction. While we are at each others throats, he can be free to pursue goals of personal gain, power, and control over people's lives. Let's not forget about matters like his taxes and what they may be hiding. Let's not forget about matters of conflicts of interest, that he is quick to point out that they won't apply to him when he is President.

How unprepared he is(read the debate scripts if you think otherwise). His ego. His pettiness. His hiring strategy(don't hire people smarter than you). His potential trade war policies. His stupid fucking wall. His plan to "rebuild the military" while at the same time slashing taxes + massive infrastructure projects. His rape culture attitude.

His VP, and his determination to take away a woman's right to choose.

Probably the scariest thing? His election lowers the bar for public office. Who's next? President Camacho?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Several of the posters on this thread I read word for word but generally don't reply to. I do that to try and pick up on others views. Educating myself.

You can't deny the things Trump has said. They are facts.

You can't deny what he has done in his life - historical facts. You CAN examine what is presented to you through the press of your choosing with a critical eye.

Last you can look at yourself - your life. Could YOU hold up to actions of 20 years ago?

Example Trumps been sued X times. I've seen sued. "But you didn't run for and win the election" understand THATS the appeal to many -Trump isn't of the political class - he's going to have baggage that others don't have.

I'm still not crazy about Trump but I'm going to give him his 90 days with an open mind.

I see the fears expressed here as certainly reasonable.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

A lot of what Tony says. I'm concerned about a short-term view of "profits" based on how we currently manage businesses being applied to the entire US. Kind of a "what could possibly go wrong" approach.

It's a country, not a company. If we fuck up, we can't just declare bankruptcy and lay off all the workers, and write off the losses.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

A lot of what Tony says. I'm concerned about a short-term view of "profits" based on how we currently manage businesses being applied to the entire US. Kind of a "what could possibly go wrong" approach.

It's a country, not a company. If we fuck up, we can't just declare bankruptcy and lay off all the workers, and write off the losses.

Wendy P.

We have fucked up, we are bankrupt, workers are being laid off and the losses will result in the implosion of the US Dollar.

I am pretty sure your career presumed a working knowledge of Elementary School Arithmetic, and running the numbers shows that going to historical norms for interest rates (say 3% to 4%) will result in us paying more in interest alone than we receive in taxes.

Bernie Madoff commented to the effect of "why are you mad at me? The US Government is a Ponzi Scheme."

He should know.

We live in a world where we seem to think that a new source to support our addiction solves the problem. Whether it be petroleum, debt or narcotics, the model is the same (though you can, arguably, grow more poppies...).

Given that we are, in the grand scheme of things, irrevocably fucked, I think a big picture approach is in order. The two candidates that floated to the top of the most recent election cesspool are truly despicable human beings, so we may as well focus on what they bring to the table regarding the imminent implosion of our way of life.

On the one hand you have an Ivy League Attorney that never had an honest job in her life, whose stock in trade is to (with remarkable success) bullshit her way through problems to which ordinary mortals would have succumbed. Good for her.

The other is a gold-plated child of privilege who represents to worst of the rapacious developers that have laid waste to the urban U.S..

I guess that someone who has experience with large operations that have spent way more than they can take in, and has successfully regrouped to one extent or another, has the edge over someone whose skill set is limited to Byzantine machinations.

All things being said, it is akin to being aboard the Titanic and having to choose between someone someone who says that we're unsinkable and should go back to our staterooms, or someone with some experience using lifeboats. I go with the asshole at the davits.

If you think I'm being unrealistic, do the math.

BSBD,

Winsor

brenthutch

You find out yet how he will fund his tax cuts plans???

The same way Obama funded his not-shovel-ready stimulus.

If Obama did something you disagree with that's fine. If Trumps does it the same way the correct response isn't 'well, Obama did it!'...
Hold your President Elect to a higher standard than 'don't fuck up worse than Obama'.

On both sides of the isle 'X did it first' is a shit argument.

We have fucked up, we are bankrupt, workers are being laid off and the losses will result in the implosion of the US Dollar.

statements that are factually incorrect.

We may have fucked up....

We are NOT bankrupt, we have debt. Lots of places do.

We are NOT laying off workers, we are hiring. Albeit the job situation can always be better as could wages.

There is NO indication that the US dollar is going to tank, in fact compared to so many other currencies, it is probably the safest bet on the planet.

but you are welcome to your opinion of course. I just get tired of people screaming 'crime is up' when it is not, and 'unemployment is up' when it is not, and 'the country is done and dying' when it is not.

For the most part, we are doing just fine, and millions are doing far better that they were 8 years ago.

All good points. I have to say when your debt exceeds your income you have real problems that perhaps only someone with business experience can solve.

As for the rest of it; you guys seem to be conjuring up fears that even the Hillary camp couldn't. Here's your fiddle.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

All good points. I have to say when your debt exceeds your income you have real problems that perhaps only someone with business experience can solve.

When I bought my first house my debt (mortgage) far exceeded my income.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

tkhayes

I just get tired of people screaming 'crime is up' when it is not, and 'unemployment is up' when it is not, and 'the country is done and dying' when it is not.

When fake news sites push those ideas and people propagate them on facebook and other social media, what else do you expect?

www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/russian-propaganda-effort-helped-spread-fake-news-during-election-experts-say/2016/11/24/793903b6-8a40-4ca9-b712-716af66098fe_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm an independent voter, but I'll play along.

Donald Trump can't point to Syria on a map. That would be OK if he wanted someone to show him where it is, but he doesn't.

He cares far more about his ego and his business empire than being president.

Instead of draining the swamp, he has brought in lots of creatures.

His foreign business dealings will be a looming shit show.

His love affair with Putin is scary.

He won't prosecute Clinton, build a wall, deport millions, bring jobs back and stop abortion. So many of his supporters will be miserable and turn on him. It's already started. I'll make some popcorn.

The fine folks in the rust belt, where I grew up, are really going to be let down. The GOP will go after the unions, medicare and social security, welfare and SNAP.

If his wife stays in NYC, the cost of that will be ridiculous.

I worry that the people advising him are itching for another invasion of the Middle East.

grimmie

He won't prosecute Clinton...

Here is a big pet peeve: POTUS does not have authority to do prosecutions!
That authority belongs to the AG.

See Title VI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_in_Government_Act#Title_VI
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.