rushmc

What Does This Say About The Democrats Message?

I had been waiting to see this info and if finally came out.

So, we now know that the Democrats yet again lost more state seats to the Republicans. This has been going on for more than one election cycle.

What does this say about the message the Democratic party is sending.

I think the Dem rhetoric is one of the reasons Trump got elected. (And the Dems have already started the same crap on Pres Elect Trump)

Also, the fact that the Republicans that were getting elected by telling its constituents lies about what it would do if elected (and they may again).

But,
In the end, the Obama admin has been a disaster for state Democrats.

What say you?

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/after-winning-7-more-seats-gop-dominance-state-legislatures-all
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Ohio lost seats because of Gerrymandering. It was so bad off of that in 2014 we had a state wide ballot issue that passed that removed the ability of the government to set the districts and instead moved that to a bi-partisan committee that has a lot of restrictions in place that basically is going to put about half of our state districts within a 5% range instead of the 40% range some were at. That is going to make a lot more seats competitive and removes the effects of some of the previous redistricting. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/14/court-rules-maps-open-to-referendum.html

There is an entire project from the Republican State Leadership Committee called "Redmap" which received about $30 million dollars in an effort to redraw the lines in every state to tilt more districts towards being Republican than they previously were. There is one district created that is only homes on both sides of a single street for several miles to link two cities that tend to lean democratic together into a single district and then surrounds them with multiple other districts that now basically have no democratic at all in them. So out of 4 districts the republicans get 3 and give 1 to the democrats. The total vote count for the democrats is much higher than the other 3 districts put together but the democrats now are the minority party due to this redistricting.

I recommend looking at these for insights into the practice off the 2010 census:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/opinion/sunday/the-great-gerrymander-of-2012.html?pagewanted=all
http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/11/15/not-gerrymandering-but-districting-more-evidence-on-how-democrats-won-the-popular-vote-but-lost-the-congress/
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/gop-gerrymandering-creates-uphill-fight-dems-house/
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

this has been going on for decades and it does have some effect.

However, this does not effect governors or us senators.

And it is true the republicans lost a couple of senate seats they had many more to lose this cycle.

Dems will have 25 seats in the cycle in two years so their risk is much higher that cycle.

I have read some articles regarding the Ohio ballot issue and that so called bi-partisan committee is not exactly what it is supposed to be either but, I have spent little time looking at it.
Abraham Lincoln

Ohio flips back and forth at the end of every term for the Governor for the most part so in a few years it will be flipping again when the current terms are up via limits. Strickland lost his Senate run primarily on the argument that he drained our Rainy Day fund when he was governor that had a large pile of money and ran it down to about .87 cents in the account. While it sounds great in a 5 second soundbite it was only partially correct but it proved to be a really large uphill fight to counter it and a lot of people just did not care anymore at that point since he was talking policy details and that is seen as not interesting. He was also seen as not caring about drug addiction and Portman made heroin addiction as a keystone to his story since it is really impacting the rural areas a lot harder than it is some of the more urban areas. Strickland then tried to add it as a point and was seen as a copycat and that hurt him a lot too.

When the total vote count for the 2012 elections for the house favored the democrats by 1.5 million votes and they ended up losing seats that is not able to be explained as a complete rejection of policies.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

absolutely that the democrats lost because they have the wrong message and mire themselves in their own scandals, and perceived scandals. Unable to put the right person forward and settling for less with Clinton.

And the republicans won because they pander to the ignorant and fearful...not because of a good party platform or because of solid and proven political policies.

what say you?

tkhayes

absolutely that the democrats lost because they have the wrong message and mire themselves in their own scandals, and perceived scandals. Unable to put the right person forward and settling for less with Clinton.

And the republicans won because they pander to the ignorant and fearful...not because of a good party platform or because of solid and proven political policies.

what say you?

You started out good...
Abraham Lincoln

Trump won the over 50k a year earners, American born, veteran, and married groups. these groups tend to lean towards conservative ideals, are hard working, tax paying and have an education more then high school. I guess the thought that he won the uneducated is wrong.

It's easy as pie to pick groups that voted for one candidate or another. It's more fun to make sure that the voters that voted for your guy are upstanding people, while the ones that voted for the other guy are wild idiots. It's also meaningless. Because it's generally done to prove a point, and not to understand the demographics.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

It's easy as pie to pick groups that voted for one candidate or another. It's more fun to make sure that the voters that voted for your guy are upstanding people, while the ones that voted for the other guy are wild idiots. It's also meaningless. Because it's generally done to prove a point, and not to understand the demographics.

Wendy P.

Ok

Then hopefully we will not hear about the idiots that voted fot Trump anymore huh...
Abraham Lincoln

What does this say about the message the Democratic party is sending.

For the vast majority of the country, the Democratic message is one they want nothing to do with. Look at the county level map of the Presidential election. It is overwhelmingly Republican.

In the end, the Obama admin has been a disaster for state Democrats.

Yet they continue to double down on their current path, so much so they are looking to nominate Minnesota Rep. Keith Ellison as DNC chair, a rabid liberal. Liberal philosophy is bankrupt. Let's hope this drives the Democratic party off the cliff.

Between the changing Republican party, and hopefully the now defunct Democratic party, we need a whole new party to drive America forward as a sovereign nation.
We are all engines of karma

And the republicans won because they pander to the ignorant and fearful

what say you?

I think you are wrong, arrogant, and full of shit. You could not be more wrong. Just look at the county level map of the Presidential election, which is overwhelmingly Republican.

You can't see that you are wrong, arrogant and full of shit. You won't see it, and you'll never see that in yourself. You are simply not capable. It's known as scotoma. It is especially pronounced in people with psychiatric issues. You should look it up, TK. End of story, last comment I will ever make to one of your political posts.
We are all engines of karma

I think, with Clinton taking a small majority of the popular vote, that saying the "vast majority" of the country wants nothing to do with the Democratic message is pretty far off the mark.

And both the Dems and Repubs are very quickly going off of the rails. The Rs are doing a pretty good job of pretending they are going to "play nice", but as soon as Trump gets going, they will have to decide if they are really going to support him or not. That's going to get interesting.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

I think, with Clinton taking a small majority of the popular vote, that saying the "vast majority" of the country wants nothing to do with the Democratic message is pretty far off the mark.

And both the Dems and Repubs are very quickly going off of the rails. The Rs are doing a pretty good job of pretending they are going to "play nice", but as soon as Trump gets going, they will have to decide if they are really going to support him or not. That's going to get interesting.

I don't think that Trump will make the same mistake that Obama naively did in his first term, of trying to "play nice" and build consensus even though he had a majority in Congress.

I think you are wrong, arrogant, and full of shit. You could not be more wrong. Just look at the county level map of the Presidential election, which is overwhelmingly Republican.

Sure if all you look at is the county level map.

Surely you have seen the popular vote stats? Or are your blinders that narrow?

So if I am full of shit because I never checked out your county map, then you are full of shit because you never looked at the popular vote. Therefore my assessment stands, on at least as good a footing as yours does.....
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clintons-popular-vote-lead-donald-trump-now/story?id=43667918

tkhayes

Sure if all you look at is the county level map.

Surely you have seen the popular vote stats? Or are your blinders that narrow?

So if I am full of shit because I never checked out your county map, then you are full of shit because you never looked at the popular vote. Therefore my assessment stands, on at least as good a footing as yours does.....
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clintons-popular-vote-lead-donald-trump-now/story?id=43667918

The popular vote means exactly nothing. That not what either of them was going for. Get the hell over the fact your candidate got beat.

Sheesh what a bunch of snowflake cry babies.
Abraham Lincoln

The popular vote means exactly nothing.

It means that your country is sharply divided, and that more people voted for Clinton than Trump. It has no legal effect, but it certainly has meaning.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

It means that your country is sharply divided, and that more people voted for Clinton than Trump. It has no legal effect, but it certainly has meaning.

Wrong

Niether was working for the popular vote.

Had they been you have no idea what those numbers might have been.
Abraham Lincoln

That's true, but they likely would have been even higher for Clinton. A lot of lazy ass Californians and New Yorkers don't bother voting. But either way the main message is the same, the country is sharply divided.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

That's true, but they likely would have been even higher for Clinton. A lot of lazy ass Californians and New Yorkers don't bother voting. But either way the main message is the same, the country is sharply divided.

LOFL
Abraham Lincoln

I never said the popular vote mattered. I never said Clinton never got beat.

try re-reading my posts to get what I was saying, since I said EXACTLY what I said and nothing more.

The democrats got beat.... the future is bleak given the ineptitude of the elected party and president. The people that voted that person in will soon regret their decision. That is my prediction.

For the vast majority of the country, the Democratic message is one they want nothing to do with. Look at the county level map of the Presidential election. It is overwhelmingly Republican.

What on earth does a county level map have to do with what the vast majority of the country does or does not want?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rushmc

It means exactly more than a county map, which was the point being responded to.

If you can't bear to listen to an opposing opinion maybe you should go and join Trump in his safe space:D

tkhayes

I never said the popular vote mattered. I never said Clinton never got beat.

try re-reading my posts to get what I was saying, since I said EXACTLY what I said and nothing more.

The democrats got beat.... the future is bleak given the ineptitude of the elected party and president. The people that voted that person in will soon regret their decision. That is my prediction.

Same prediction we get every year when a republican gets elected. Boring
Abraham Lincoln

jakee

It means exactly more than a county map, which was the point being responded to.

If you can't bear to listen to an opposing opinion maybe you should go and join Trump in his safe space:D

The ones that don't want to listen to an opposing view are the crybaby protesters who were out beating up Trump supporters. Nice twist though Gotta Give You points for trying
Abraham Lincoln

The ones that don't want to listen to an opposing view are the crybaby protesters who were out beating up Trump supporters

Sure, anyone who beats up someone else because of their politics is a dick.

But I thought anyone who beat up other candidate's supporters were secretly also supporters of that candidate? You've just spent the last 6 months telling us that's how it works, haven't you?