rushmc

Global Temp Changes

billvon

>Benefit: zero

So you oppose nuclear power, better electrical grids, replanting dead forests and efficiency improvements in cars and industry? OK then. I imagine somewhere out there is a version of 1940's America where you would not have so much evil, progressive change shoved down your throat.

It's sad to see the rest of the world flying by us in energy technology because we're sitting here filibustering over global warming politics.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/11/india-unveils-world-largest-solar-power-plant-161129101022044.html
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

billvon

>Keep setting up that straw man to knock down as you seem to have difficulty with
>the real thing.

No difficulty at all. I generate all my power from solar, and I use that solar to charge an EV.

Good for you Bill, but just because I take issue with my tax dollars subsidizing Elon Musk's toys-for-upper-middle-class-boys factory, doesn't make me a Luddite

brenthutch

***>Keep setting up that straw man to knock down as you seem to have difficulty with
>the real thing.

No difficulty at all. I generate all my power from solar, and I use that solar to charge an EV.

Good for you Bill, but just because I take issue with my tax dollars subsidizing Elon Musk's toys-for-upper-middle-class-boys factory, doesn't make me a Luddite

So then what toys are OK with you? You prefer that it instead be used for things like the $800,000 per round ammo that goes on the Zumwalt main guns? No that I'm being a peace-nick but you can do a shitload of barbecue with $800,000.

You make is sound like that nobody is being paid to do a job for this terrible Elon Musk stuff you hate.

rushmc

And from a CREDIBLE source:

November 14, 2016

2016 is set to break even the temperature records of 2015.

It is very likely that 2016 will be the hottest year on record, with global temperatures even higher than the record-breaking temperatures in 2015. Preliminary data shows that 2016’s global temperatures are approximately 1.2° Celsius above pre-industrial levels, according to an assessment by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).

Global temperatures for January to September 2016 have been about 0.88° Celsius (1.58°F) above the average (14°C) for the 1961-1990 reference period, which is used by WMO as a baseline. Temperatures spiked in the early months of the year because of the powerful El Niño event of 2015-16. Preliminary data for October indicate that they are at a sufficiently high level for 2016 to remain on track for the title of hottest year on record. This would mean that 16 of the 17 hottest years on record have been this century (1998 was the other one).

Long-term climate change indicators are also record breaking. Concentrations of major greenhouse gases in the atmosphere continue to increase to new records. Arctic sea ice remained at very low levels, especially during early 2016 and the October re-freezing period, and there was significant and very early melting of the Greenland ice sheet.

public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/provisional-wmo-statement-status-of-global-climate-2016

Well this prediction has fallen into the shitter now hasn't it!

No.

But THIS is pretty shitty,

and so is THIS.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

brenthutch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12rKlxlVKTw

Nearly a decade with a fever and we are still here. Can't be much of a fever.

The overwhelming majority of science says otherwise.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/11/29/13781434/great-barrier-reef-coral-dead

A look at global temps:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201513

But I guess every scientist in the world is in on the liberal conspiracy to waste money on green energy and polluting less.

You've got to be kidding me. There are ample examples of things that are severely affected just by a few degrees temperature difference. Do you fish? Do you chase the spawn? Do you know what temperature the water needs to be at a certain time of year for those eggs to live? How about temperatures that trigger seasonal changes in plants and trees or crops in Texas?

All of which can also be reasonably attributed to the natural variation in the Earth's climate.

Do you understand the energy difference in a cup of coffee vs a bath tub at a given temperature degrees? What if that bath tub were the Atlantic Ocean at the beginning of hurricane season.

Do you realize we're going through one of the longest stretches in recorded history without a major hurricane hitting the US?

How about the difference in volume a liquid at two temperatures? Again....Atlantic Ocean.

Do you realize how small the coefficient of expansion for water is? Along the same lines as its compressibility. Negligible.
We are all engines of karma

And that could trigger a runaway situation, but we don't really know if it will or not.

Seriously, the current weight fraction of CO2 in the troposphere is 0.0004. Just in case you hadn't noticed, that's an incredibly small number. Over the next hundred years, that's expected to increase to 0.0008. From that, an increase in temperature of ~1DegF is expected. Considering we already have ~60DegF warming due to water vapor alone, I find it hard to see how an additional 1DegF is going to produce catastrophic results. The Earth is not that fragile. If it was, we wouldn't be here.

I am more than happy to see Earth's population reduce the 40GT+ of CO2 and equivalents that's being pumped into the troposphere each year. But, the methods used to address this need to do two things:
1) It's got to work
2) It needs to be cost effective.

Nothing being advocated by Paris Agreement participants is going to do either of those. Giving UN agencies $1 Trillion per year is absolutely insane.

In 50 years, when D-T fusion finally becomes practical, we'll hear the same thing. "The simple truth of the matter is we won't change to fusion because we won't want to destroy our current renewables-based economy to try to use it."

I doubt that. It'll be a epochal day in the planet's history. Especially when you consider the number of D-T fusion reactors required for distributed production. There will be plenty of work to go around.

All of which can also be reasonably attributed to the natural variation in the Earth's climate.

I'm talking about the effects of temperature change. BH had said there would be no adverse effects.

Do you realize we're going through one of the longest stretches in recorded history without a major hurricane hitting the US?

Yay, America! Can you confirm that this is a permanent situation? I'll go invest in coastal real estate if you're sure.

Do you realize how small the coefficient of expansion for water is? Along the same lines as its compressibility. Negligible.

My background is Mechanical Engineering in the heating and cooling industry, I'm literally an expert in the properties of gases and liquids.. Here's just one LESSON, if you'd like to brush up. I'll leave the rest to you. EDIT: Also, if you can please confirm that the the coefficient of expansion is negligible for water I'll stop specifying all of these expansion tanks in buildings. Seems like a big waste.

Again, it seems like you didn't follow my comparison of liquids between a cup of coffee and a bathtub and a bathtub and the Atlantic Ocean.

StreetScooby

So you oppose nuclear power, better electrical grids, replanting dead forests and efficiency improvements in cars and industry?

I'm not seeing anyone in this thread advocate against that.

You agreed with "benefit: zero." All the above have gotten support/funding due to climate change research.

So either the benefit isn't zero or you do not support the above.

>There is no evidence that warmer temperatures are deleterious, man made or
>otherwise.
================
Climate-change damage growing in Georgia
Support for ‘transitional policies’ urged
By David A. Kyler

Sep 28, 2016

AS EVIDENCED by recurring floods on Highway 80 to Tybee Island, sea-level rise is already taking its toll. As the climate continues to overheat, primarily due to the emission of greenhouse gases (GHGs) in burning and producing fossil fuels, sea-level rise and other impacts of climate change will get much worse.

A recent article in Science predicts that rising seas in the coming decades will flood more than 444,000 square miles globally, inhabited by some 375 million people. Many coastal Georgians live within low-lying communities that will be inundated.

So-called ‘nuisance flooding’ – which happens without any storms causing abnormal conditions such as storm surge – is occurring with increasing frequency.

An example is the “King Tide” flooding Hwy 80, but such flooding has become common at normal high tide. According to NOAA, the rate of such flooding in the past decade has quadrupled since the late 1950’s.
====================
Worst-recorded coral bleaching event to continue into 2017

Published on 30/11/2016, 12:04pm

World’s reefs in “unchartered territory”, say scientists, as bleaching set to hit reefs for an unprecedented third year in a row

By Karl Mathiesen

The world’s longest-running coral bleaching event, which has destroyed huge areas of reef from Australia to the Caribbean, will continue into 2017.

The latest four-month forecast from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Coral Reef Watch has raised alerts for reefs in the south Pacific and eastern Indian ocean into March next year.

. . . .

Bleaching occurs when corals are exposed to small but rapid increases in heat for a week or more. If the temperature does not return to normal with a few weeks, the corals can die off and be replaced by algae.

Global and repeated coral bleaching events are a new phenomenon, said Professor Nick Graham, a marine ecologist from Lancaster University. They are driven by the rise in ocean temperature from global warming.

“Previous bleaching events have tended to occur over one year [or] season for a given location,” said Graham.

“The 2015-2016 event has shocked many coral reef scientists, with lots of locations being bleached two years in a row. If this extends into 2017 for some locations, this really is unchartered territory. We know very little about how the reefs will respond to such repetitive thermal stress.”
===============================
A Wrenching Choice for Alaska Towns in the Path of Climate Change

ERICA GOODE
NYT 7/18/2016

SHAKTOOLIK, Alaska -

. . . .Here in Shaktoolik, one need not be a prophet to predict flooding, especially during the fall storms.

Laid out on a narrow spit of sand between the Tagoomenik River and the Bering Sea, the village of 250 or so people is facing an imminent threat from increased flooding and erosion, signs of a changing climate.

With its proximity to the Arctic, Alaska is warming about twice as fast as the rest of the United States and the state is heading for the warmest year on record. The government has identified at least 31 Alaskan towns and cities at imminent risk of destruction, with Shaktoolik ranking among the top four. Some villages, climate change experts predict, will be uninhabitable by 2050, their residents joining a flow of climate refugees around the globe, in Bolivia, China, Niger and other countries.

These endangered Alaskan communities face a choice. They could move to higher ground, a wrenching prospect that for a small village could cost as much as $200 million. Or they could stand their ground and hope to find money to fortify their buildings and shore up their coastline.
==========================

From the Trump news network:
================
Global Temperatures Plunge. Icy Silence from Climate Alarmists

by James Delingpole
30 Nov 2016
Breitbart

Global land temperatures have plummeted by one degree Celsius since the middle of this year – the biggest and steepest fall on record.

But the news has been greeted with an eerie silence by the world’s alarmist community. You’d almost imagine that when temperatures shoot up it’s catastrophic climate change which requires dramatic headlines across the mainstream media and demands for urgent action. But that when they fall even more precipitously it’s just a case of “nothing to see here”.

The cause of the fall is a La Nina event following in the wake of an unusual strong El Nino.
=================

No, actually, the cause is winter. And that icy silence is from rational people's jaws dropping. "Uh . . . do these people actually not know that it gets cold in the winter? And that most of the land of the Earth is in the Northern hemisphere? Do I tell them that?"

Like I said, there are plenty of places out there that shun all that evil modern technology that has been shoved down your throat. The Amish gave it a good try.

The Amish have a much lower carbon footprint than you do. In fact the ONLY way to stop the rise of CO2 is for all of us to live like the Amish. I will take you more seriously when you trade in your Tesla for a mule.