PhreeZone

New gun locks

I have been looking at a few gun locks based on my needs and I was not really happy with a lot of the ones I saw in the store and I have been watching this on on some Crowdfunded sites and it looks like it might finally be entering production shortly.

http://www.zore.life/

Interesting mix of security, technology and ease of use all at the same time. I really like the option to have it in a "safe but ready to fire" option or to lock it down unless you unlock it by hand with out a key.

Anyone have any other recommendations on something to use to keep the guns locked up outside the safe?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't use a safe by my bedside, no kids in the house. Every other lock I've seen would be just silly to use on a protection weapon, but this seems to make a lot of sense. Brilliant if the alert goes out fast enough. Too bad it's Bluetooth.

If you get one please let me know what you think.

I'm not keen on the wireless part, but the combination lock of any-number-of-clicks in either direction, (even in the dark), seems clever as hell!:)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Wondering what the drawback to Bluetooth LE (30-45 feet from the receiver) or the wireless part is. I like it since i could get an alert if it gets moved as much as a few inches anywhere in the world so that I can see why someone has touched it. With the receiver having that range it should cover just about all areas of the home.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Guns and locks. Yes there are many schools of thought on this topic. LOVE the booger hook/bag button comment! I choose to carry a P2000 (think Glock only BETTER). I say this because this model has no safety. I also carry un-charged, so I know and train to rack it on the way to target. If you ever need to use a firearm(slim chance) the last thing you want is to have it locked!!! Think about it... Accountability is simple, when its not on your hip, its unloaded.

How about you let him parent his kids. He asked for lock advice, not parenting tips.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ok, the standard questions for "what kind of lock/safe should I get?":

What are you looking to secure? It seems like a pistol.

Who are you looking to secure it against? It sounds like toddlers/little kids.

What kind of presence are you going to have when it is secured? At home, but in a different room? Not at home but will be in a few hours (like at work or the DZ)? Out of town for a few days (or longer)?

How fast do you expect to need to get at it? Keep in mind that, realistically, if you need it that fast, you are already so far behind the game that you've probably lost. In the home, an alarm or dog will give you advanced warning. Not a whole lot, but a minute or even 30 seconds is a very long time in those sorts of situations.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of basic locks on a "loose" pistol. Or even advanced ones. The pistol can still be removed and the lock removed at the thief's leisure. The only exception to that would be if you are in the house, but not in the room and want to make sure the little ones don't get hold of it (no, putting it up out of reach or "teaching them" isn't a viable alternative).

I'm more in favor of safes (lock boxes). There's a wide variety of them out there. The ones that are worth looking at can be bolted securely to a wall or floor.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Last time I mailed a rifle, I (removed the magazine) inserted a U-shaped bicycle lock through the open breech. A bike lock could also prevent theft if it is wrapped around metal plumbing.
Similarly, I prefer gun locks that secure a gun inside a cabinet, bed frame, drawer, etc. Just make sure that the drawer is difficult to remove.

Bluetooth gun locks are suspect because some hacker will develop an app to unlock your gun. Furthermore, during a blackout, your cell-phone will run out of electrons and your gun will be permanently locked. Old school keyed locks are more reliable when SHTF.

Otherwise, I believe that Canadian gun storage laws are written primarily to protect SWAT teams (gun in one locked cabinet and ammo in a separate locked cabinet). By the time you can unlock both cabinets, load, remove trigger locks, etc. bad guys will have finished gang-raping you, have your valuables in their (stolen) van and be long gone.

I already have a fire safe for all the long guns thanks anchored into a concrete wall but as I kelp getting told it's useless for home protection since its behind a few doors and multiple stair flight away from where we spend any time. I am mainly concerned about leaving anything outside of the safe where not just my children but anyone else such as their friends could reach it. Biometric seems like a horrible idea based on how many times my Phone does not seem to know who I am. :P trying to is there are other options out there or if I should just look at a small portable safe to put in another room.

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I would not trust anything electronic or bluetooth or anything with a battery for that matter for something that I wanted to possibly use right now, if needed. This is years of military experience talking. The safest place for any fire arm outside of a safe is on your person.... preferably concealed... preferably in a holster that will protect the trigger....;)

With that, if you are looking for a good place to hide a duty gun, I like the tactical walls and gun shelves with simple magnetic locks. There are lots of examples out there for sale, but I just think they are a great way to hide stuff in plane site. Some Youtube videos...:D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjoaO5IL8rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YajL6yRjUrk

Just some suggestions....B| There are lots of companies making similar products now a days.

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I agree that the "big safe waayy back in the closet (basement, back room, whatever) often is too far away to access fast enough. The small safes are actually pretty nice.

One option is to get more than one, and either move the gun around as needed or have more than one gun stashed.

A friend with a kid recently got one of the Stack On ones. Four finger electronic push button lock, with a key backup.

And before I get hammered by an "expert", they are not all that secure. There are ways to access them.
But for preventing little kids from getting in, they are fine.

Some of the hidden stuff is reasonably good too. No personal experience with any of those, though.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo