brenthutch

Anti Trump protests

brenthutch

"A tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I wonder, how many of them even voted?

The "everybody wins" generation got their feelings hurt. Get a fucking job already.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

brenthutch

"A tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I wonder, how many of them even voted?

Do you remember when Obama won, Obamacare passed, and Texas threatened to secede?

You're right. "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Same thing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

CanuckInUSA

Do you remember when Obama won

Yeah there wasn't demonstrations the day after he was elected. Democracy was respected.

Demonstrations, in and of themselves, aren't a disrespect for democracy and each demonstration is unique in its own way as well as how it is perceived by others who are not involved.

There is nothing wrong with a group of people gathering to voice their displeasure. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with burning Trump in effigy nor does it go against the concepts of democracy as long as nobody is actually being injured in the process (which is the case so far as I can tell at the moment of this writing). Whoever lights the match can be cited for an illegal fire or whatever, but that's a different issue.

Obama was burned in effigy plenty of times. He was also a target at shooting ranges.

Let's see where this really goes before getting too worked up about it.

The flip side of this protest coverage are the reports I'm seeing from perfectly average people who were going about their business as usual today and were accosted by Trump Bros in Red Hats grabbing women by the genitals and punching "fags" in the face all because their guy won and they're "in charge now."

Check twitter for some of those reports.

Here's one;
https://twitter.com/emilysears/status/796463190238334976

Here's another;
https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/796545691598409728
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

CanuckInUSA

Do you remember when Obama won

Yeah there wasn't demonstrations the day after he was elected. Democracy was respected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/us/anti-obama-protest-at-university-of-mississippi-turns-unruly.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

quade

Obama was burned in effigy plenty of times. He was also a target at shooting ranges.

Not just Obama: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muslim-free-gun-store-president-targets_us_574e7b9fe4b0af73af95cd54
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is what scares me. I'm not blaming the president-elect for the sentiment, but he did make it "okay" to express publicly again. And the campaign brought them out of the shadows and made us all realize how bad racism and other blind hate and ignorance still is in this country. That prevalence is what scares me.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

There is already a noticeable increase in racist insults and attacks on social media.
It's disgusting to me.
I hope when this generation of old angry white racists die off that we'll be done with that chapter, but I doubt it.
They've been busy reproducing.
[:/]

normiss

There is already a noticeable increase in racist insults and attacks on social media.
It's disgusting to me..

Same happened after brexit. The politics may not have been intended to be racist, but they definitely bring out those people.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

normiss

I hope when this generation of old angry white racists die off that we'll be done with that chapter, but I doubt it.
They've been busy reproducing.

Except the problem of their offspring, spouting it at school. Once this generation of old racists dies off, we'll still have the those whom they influenced. [:/]
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

This is what scares me. I'm not blaming the president-elect for the sentiment, but he did make it "okay" to express publicly again. And the campaign brought them out of the shadows and made us all realize how bad racism and other blind hate and ignorance still is in this country. That prevalence is what scares me.

I call bullshit on all the quivering about 'racism.'

If you want to bitch about 'racism, but only care when it is white vs. 'other,' expect your complaints to fall on deaf ears. If, OTOH, you decry racism when it includes any and all sources, I'm with you.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are professional racists, compared to whom David Duke is but a rank amateur. I think they are all assholes, and those that tolerate one but not the other side are assholes as well.

I do not engage in untoward behavior against followers of any particular psychopath, but consider Islam and the Third Reich to be largely interchangeable. It ain't Godwin if there is a history of their alliance.

I agree that hip hop/rap 'artists' spewing racist hate is no excuse for those who respond in kind. However, anyone who gives them a pass forfeits their right to bitch about much of anyone else behaving in so reprehensible a manner.

BSBD,

Winsor

TriGirl

Our current president is the one who made it "okay" to express publicly again. Protests with no clear goal, no end time, turning into riots and looting. Sure sounds like BLM to me.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

DanG

I agree that hip hop/rap 'artists' spewing racist hate is no excuse for those who respond in kind.

Do you have examples of hit-hop artists spewing racist hate, or is it just your feels?

Yes, I do.

I do, however, leave this exercise to you. If you are unable to figure it out on your own, I can see no reason to expect better results if you are spoon-fed.

Hi winsor,

but consider Islam and the Third Reich to be largely interchangeable.

I think that not all muslims are wanting to kill every 'infidel.'

Not all Germans were members of the Nazi party. Not all Russians were members of the Communist party.

Yet you seem to want to lump them all together.

That is like saying that I am like all the other old, white men in the country. I did not & do not support Trump.

IMO each of us is an individual and should be judged that way; and only that way.

Jerry Baumchen

Yeah, you got me on that one.

I am, of course, at your beck and call, and responsible for meeting your every demand.

I've failed.

You made a claim. Refusing to back it up is indeed a form of failure.

I think what you'll find is that most hip-hop (which I actually listen to) is not racist unless you count black pride as racism. If minorities being proud of their culture is racist, then sure, lots of hip-hop artists spew racial hatred. Otherwise, unless you can point out actual racial hatred in hip-hop lyrics, you got nothing.

- Dan G

JerryBaumchen

Hi winsor,

but consider Islam and the Third Reich to be largely interchangeable.

I think that not all muslims are wanting to kill every 'infidel.'

Not all Germans were members of the Nazi party. Not all Russians were members of the Communist party.

Yet you seem to want to lump them all together.

That is like saying that I am like all the other old, white men in the country. I did not & do not support Trump.

IMO each of us is an individual and should be judged that way; and only that way.

Jerry Baumchen

You are right to the extent that the 'Third Reich' included any people who were not Nazis. I was referring to adherents, rather than those who were merely present. I did not mean to imply that an accident of birth or geography is a determining factor.

In each case the fundamentals were laid down by seriously malignant characters, though the German had more to recommend him than did the Arab.

There were Nazis who were not on board with the 'Final Solution,' and there are Muslims who are the equivalent of 'Sunday Christians,' but the rule book for each ism is pretty clear.

If you CHOOSE to lump yourself together, get used to the ramifications.

DanG

is not racist unless you count black white pride as racism. If minorities caucasians being proud of their culture is racist...

If changing the race makes it racist, then it's racist. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

DanG

Yeah, you got me on that one.

I am, of course, at your beck and call, and responsible for meeting your every demand.

I've failed.

You made a claim. Refusing to back it up is indeed a form of failure.

I think what you'll find is that most hip-hop (which I actually listen to) is not racist unless you count black pride as racism. If minorities being proud of their culture is racist, then sure, lots of hip-hop artists spew racial hatred. Otherwise, unless you can point out actual racial hatred in hip-hop lyrics, you got nothing.

You must be right. It is impossible that I could not give a rat's ass what you think - should you choose to do so.