rushmc

President Trump?

Bolas

The irony of all this is, if the Democratic Party hadn't been so corrupt colluding with Hillary to screw over Bernie, they likely could have won.

The GOP got it's wakeup call when Trump got the nomination, the Democratic Party, the media, and the polling companies got theirs yesterday. :)

Yeah!

There's an odd parallel to this going on in the UK where a proper leftist MP was elected leader of the Labour party by a huge margin, inspiring tens of thousands of people to join the party at the same time. The party establishment decided he was unelectable and undermined him at every turn, eventually forcing another leadership election - which he again won convincingly and again brought thousands of new members into the party... and the establishment is still convinced he's unelectable:S

What Trump has shown, for worse and maybe also for better in some way, is that these groundswell movements can't be dismissed anymore.

Personally I blame social media. Now that we can choose not just an echo chamber of like minded media, but an echo chamber of like minded ordinary people reposting all sorts of crap without the first hint of fact checking or balance then elections are, I guess, inevitably skewing towards the attention grabbing fringe candidates and policies.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wmw999

So then it's land mass that should vote, rather than individuals?

Wendy P.

You might know the following but posting it for educational value.

"In order to appreciate the reasons for the Electoral College, it is essential to understand its historical context and the problem that the Founding Fathers were trying to solve. They faced the difficult question of how to elect a president in a nation that:

•was composed of thirteen large and small States jealous of their own rights and powers and suspicious of any central national government

•contained only 4,000,000 people spread up and down a thousand miles of Atlantic seaboard barely connected by transportation or communication (so that national campaigns were impractical even if they had been thought desirable)

•believed, under the influence of such British political thinkers as Henry St. John Bolingbroke, that political parties were mischievous if not downright evil, and

•felt that gentlemen should not campaign for public office (The saying was "The office should seek the man, the man should not seek the office.").

How, then, to choose a president without political parties, without national campaigns, and without upsetting the carefully designed balance between the presidency and the Congress on one hand and between the States and the federal government on the other?"

http://uselectionatlas.org/INFORMATION/INFORMATION/electcollege_history.php

>A criminal investigation of her foundation has been underway for over a year by
>the FBI.

No, that would be a lie.

On the other hand, Trump's case for fraud starts on the 28th. And the first hearing in the case against him for raping a 13 year old girl is in December.

Bolas

The irony of all this is, if the Democratic Party hadn't been so corrupt colluding with Hillary to screw over Bernie, they likely could have won.

The GOP got it's wakeup call when Trump got the nomination, the Democratic Party, the media, and the polling companies got theirs yesterday. :)

So right. My only concern was that the Rs put up the "most likely not to be able to beat Hillary" candidate.

Bernie got my attention early on. Hard to argue with his line of thinking.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

brenthutch

It will be interesting to see what happens with donations to the CGI. If they drop off we will know that the Clintons were peddling access.

Or we'll know that the right wing echo chamber was so successful in smearing it that potential donors go elsewhere.

Appearances are important too:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

airdvr

***The irony of all this is, if the Democratic Party hadn't been so corrupt colluding with Hillary to screw over Bernie, they likely could have won.

So right. My only concern was that the Rs put up the "most likely not to be able to beat Hillary" candidate.

Bernie got my attention early on. Hard to argue with his line of thinking.

Not the party, its members. The only difference was the Republican Party couldn't stop Trump where the Democratic Party was able to stop Sanders, albeit unethically, possibly illegally.

A diehard Republican I'm related to thinks the only reason the Republican Party wasn't able to stop Trump using the same methods was a combination of too many candidates and not taking him seriously soon enough.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

billvon

>A criminal investigation of her foundation has been underway for over a year by
>the FBI.

No, that would be a lie.

On the other hand, Trump's case for fraud starts on the 28th. And the first hearing in the case against him for raping a 13 year old girl is in December.

Sorry Bill. That is not a lie.

As for Trump? That will sort itself out soon enough. But I know for you it's the charge that counts. Not the facts of the case. At least when it comes to conservatives or Republicans.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

ryoder

***So then it's land mass that should vote, rather than individuals?

Wendy P.

Let me translate the dog whistle;
He wants to go back to 1790: http://www.infoplease.com/timelines/voting.html

The electoral votes are based on population are they not? Therefore the votes to count same
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>Gotta feel bad for all those countries that mad huge donations to the Foundation.

But I bet the 9 million people who got medical help from the foundation feel . . . less bad.

4% of hundreds of millions can do a little good
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

The electoral votes are based on population are they not? Therefore the votes to count same

Low population states get proportionately more electoral votes than high population states. If California got as many electoral votes per person as Wyoming, it would get about 188, instead of the 55 which it gets.

rushmc

you are wrong
I would be disappointed but I would still defend it if Hillary had one for the very reasons I have stated before.

Fair enough.

Let me ask you this in all seriousness - politics aside, would you support changing the voting system to give direct power to the people to pick a president. A system where all votes are equal, regardless of where you live or who you are?

I've said before that I would vote for ANY candidate that stood for voting reform, even if I disagreed with all their policies. To me there is a fundamental wrongness with the system we're using where one persons vote is not equal to anothers.

rushmc

tThe electoral votes are based on population are they not? Therefore the votes to count same

No. It's much worse than you think.

If you lived in California and I lived in Wyoming, my 1 vote for president would be worth 4 of yours.

This short video explains it well - have a look. I'd be genuinely interested in your response.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

yoink

Fair enough.

Let me ask you this in all seriousness - politics aside, would you support changing the voting system to give direct power to the people to pick a president. A system where all votes are equal, regardless of where you live or who you are?

I've said before that I would vote for ANY candidate that stood for voting reform, even if I disagreed with all their policies. To me there is a fundamental wrongness with the system we're using where one persons vote is not equal to anothers.

The electoral college is in place to ensure fair representation of all the states. If it was a popular vote system candidates would concentrate on NYC, CHI, LA and all the high population states, leaving the less populated out of the mix.

It's nothing new...it only bothers some because it didn't work in their favor.

Also, the youtube video you posted is wrong in how the number of electors is figured in each state. The Constitution assigns each state a number of electors equal to the combined total of the state’s Senate and House of Representatives delegations; at present, the number of electors per state ranges from three to 54, for a total of 538.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Hi yoink,

would you support changing the voting system to give direct power to the people to pick a president.

I first learned about the Electoral College in high school ( a very long time ago ) and I have been opposed to it since then.

IMO one person, one vote; no matter where you live.

Jerry Baumchen

airdvr

Also, the youtube video you posted is wrong in how the number of electors is figured in each state. The Constitution assigns each state a number of electors equal to the combined total of the state’s Senate and House of Representatives delegations; at present, the number of electors per state ranges from three to 54, for a total of 538.

I believe it simplified it.

The number of electors is the number of Senators (minimum is 2) plus the number of US Representatives (minimum 1) - so the minimum any state can have is 3.
The video is correct, if a high-level summary.

The video also explains why your argument of candidates focusing on population centers is a fallacy. The top 10 population centers don't even equal 8% of the popular vote.
Good job not actually looking at the video but jumping straight to the argument.

This system would be wrong no matter who won.