rushmc

President Trump?

normiss

From a black person's perspective:

White people who have been lurking in the shadows came out of the mountains, the hills, and their trailer parks to vote last night. And so did the college-educated whites. They "took their (stolen) country back."

The Democrats ignored the white rage and the fact that growing numbers of black folks weren't "with her" because perhaps they know how to read the facts, because they don't want to be slaves to the Democratic party, or because they don't want to settle for ANY measure of evil. The Democratic party arrogantly tried to shove Clinton down our throats. And now folks can't face how bad of a candidate she really was and how Trump's election is the inevitable culmination of 40 years of white backlash to civil rights, diversity, demographic shifts, and white people voting against their economic interests.

I didn't cry this morning. Nor am I afraid. That's because I've had my eyes wide open. And as a student of history, I remember how Jim Crow followed Reconstruction. How every time Black folks had some major historic win for civil rights it was followed by fierce white backlash. This election result is not a fluke! This outcome was decades in the making. All this was happening before Trump's rise.

Look at how stubbornly white our institutions have remained: colleges and universities, the film industry, newspapers, etc. Look at the over criminalization of Blacks and Latinos. Look at the increase in hate crimes against Muslims. Look at the overt strategies of voter disenfranchisement. Look at the divestment in communities of color and social programs. Look at the state-sanctioned killings of Black people and the repeated failure to prosecute.

And so instead of seeing this election as yet another periodic cycle in American race relations, folks will blame Black folks who stayed home or cast ballots for a third party. Folks are disillusioned to think that casting a vote for Hillary somehow struck a blow to white supremacy.

Quite frankly, the election of the Orange Menace may finally be the welcome this country needs for a REAL revolution! Don't cry. Don't be scared. Don't pray because god is not in charge of this nightmare. Let's get to work.

This election had nothing to do with race.

It WAS all about the people of the US.

But tell me.

Just to follow your logic.
Why is it a good thing when blacks come together and vote for their interests. (at least what you think is in their interests) it is a good thing. It is what this country is about. But if white people come together (just to follow your logic) to vote their interest it is some how a bad thing.

In any event, I think it is a good thing that people of the US do not come together as a race and vote for any party. The Dems have been using the black voter for decades. The Dems lie about which party ended slavery to keep the votes coming and after 40 to 60 years what gains have been seen?

And I find it interesting you mention the film industry. They have been caught on tape, like the Democratic party has, disparaging women, blacks, Jews and others. Yet the majority of the film industry supports the Dem party and the Dem party cozies up to them. Why? Money.

So we have a party that uses people of race for votes and an industry for money.

Is the Dem party really looking out for anybody but themselves?

Sure as hell Hillary does not care about anyone but herself.

BTW
I came out of my house that is located in a small development to vote. And I did not lurk to go do that:|

Now, do I read your post correctly and you see this election as a backlash against blacks?

If you do then I feel sorry for you. This election had nothing to do with race. It is about people fed up with its government NOT listening to them. Period.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Iago

For the 2nd time in 16 years the candidate who got the highest vote total loses the Electoral College.

Something stinky with this system.

I said this bitch was coming.

look at the electoral map.
the system works exactly as designed and it works well.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"

The system designed to enshrine inequality certainly worked as designed. It was designed to ensure that some citizens are more equal than others when selecting the president.

nope
It was designed to ensure one small part of the country can not dictate to the rest of the country

Get over it
You lost

'Tyranny of the majority' and 'growth of factions' was the mindset behind enacting the Elector system for President.

With that in mind, if the new Republican Senate wants to be Statesmen instead of politicians, they need to reenact the 60 vote rule that was altered by the Democratic Senate to stack the courts with their judges.

Yeah, like that would ever happen. Probably not in my lifetime.

Harry Reed set the standard...don't see why Republicans should do any different. What goes around, comes around.:P

So how much more do you think rural and conservative vote should count than liberal and/or urban ones?
1.2:1?
1.3:1?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

So how much more do you think rural and conservative vote should count than liberal and/or urban ones?
1.2:1?
1.3:1?

Wendy P.

False premise Wendy.

Tell me.
Do you think urban people should control who is elected in this country and the rural people be damned?

If so, how do you see that changing the way politicians campaign?

I see the way it is done today giving equal voice to each state.
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

Hillary: 59,236,903 votes
Donald: 59,085,787 votes

The people elected Hillary, the system elected Donald

The system gives equal voice to the states and the people in them.

Only 4 out of 100 counties in the state of Iowa went blue. Those counties have the cities of Ames, Iowa City, Des Moines and Cedar Rapids.

Should those 4 counties be able to control the whole state?

By the way
The Republicans now hold all parts of IA state government.

MN now has a republican house and senate.

Republicans now hold more governors offices (by 4 I think) than before the election. I am looking forward to see other states results/changes
Abraham Lincoln

Iago

For the 2nd time in 16 years the candidate who got the highest vote total loses the Electoral College.

Something stinky with this system.

I said this bitch was coming.

look at the electoral map.
the system works exactly as designed and it works well.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"

The system designed to enshrine inequality certainly worked as designed. It was designed to ensure that some citizens are more equal than others when selecting the president.

nope
It was designed to ensure one small part of the country can not dictate to the rest of the country

Get over it
You lost

'Tyranny of the majority' and 'growth of factions' was the mindset behind enacting the Elector system for President.

With that in mind, if the new Republican Senate wants to be Statesmen instead of politicians, they need to reenact the 60 vote rule that was altered by the Democratic Senate to stack the courts with their judges.

Yeah, like that would ever happen. Probably not in my lifetime.

Why? They held the Senate. Trump won too.
The Democrats set the rule.
The Senate will not need 60 votes to deal with Obamacare either.

Remember what Obama said to the Republicans in the second week of his first term and working with the Republicans?

He told them he won.

Well the precedent that was set was back when Jefferson wrote the original rules was that in a thinly divided Senate enough of the minority had to agree with the majority, which is what we have now (thinly divided) in the Senate for the next few years.

Yes, the Democrats changed the rules and now it could come back to bite them in the ass. However, I do not want to see anyone or any party have the ability to just rubber stamp whatever they like and push it through. The interests of the other side need to be considered. That's just me, YMMV.

That rule also included standing up in the Senate chamber and talking the whole time. Changes things tremendously.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

******Clinton does have many more.

"Would have"???
Clinton has been a private citizen since Feb 1 2013.
If there are/were any criminal/civil proceedings against her, there is no reason they would have paused just because she was campaigning. Trump & Clinton have BOTH been private citizens for the past 3 years.

Her troubles are not over yet.

And I fixed my post in the quote above

So, uh, what active Federal suits (not just investigations) and impending trials is Hillary facing?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

rushmc

False premise Wendy.

Tell me.
Do you think urban people should control who is elected in this country and the rural people be damned?

Not at all. Personally, I think all people should be equal. Your vote should count exactly as much as my vote.

You're praising a rigged system because it's rigged in your favor. Don't try and pretend otherwise.

jakee

*********Clinton does have many more.

"Would have"???
If there are/were any criminal/civil proceedings against her, there is no reason they would have paused just because she was campaigning. Trump & Clinton have BOTH been private citizens for the past 3 years.

So, uh, what active Federal suits (not just investigations) and impending trials is Hillary facing?

A criminal investigation of her foundation has been underway for over a year by the FBI.
Abraham Lincoln

yoink

False premise Wendy.

Tell me.

Not at all. Personally, I think all people should be equal. Your vote should count exactly as much as my vote.

You're praising a rigged system because it's rigged in your favor. Don't try and pretend otherwise.

you are wrong
I would be disappointed but I would still defend it if Hillary had one for the very reasons I have stated before.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

************Clinton does have many more.

"Would have"???

A criminal investigation of her foundation has been underway for over a year by the FBI.

Yeah.... See above:S

DanG

What's really sad is that you and rushmc think Trump is on your side. You elected the ultimate 1%er and you think he's going to do something to help the little guy. Sad.

IMO, you have missed the point of his election. I didn't vote for him because I thought he would do something for the little guy. I voted for him to secure our borders, repeal and replace Obamacare and nominate at least one, maybe two, conservative SC Justices. If he gets that done in the first four years I'll be a happy camper. The little guy will will have more opportunity to work and thrive. Of course, he will have more flexibility in his second term.

It is not a question of who will give me the most. It is who will best govern and secure my nation.

President Elect Donald Trump, I just love saying that.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I voted for him to secure our borders, repeal and replace Obamacare and nominate at least one, maybe two, conservative SC Justices.

He may do those things.

He may also get us into trade wars with China, Europe, and Mexico, shooting wars with whomever disses him, and global economic collapse.

He's totally unpredictable. The only predictable thing about him is that he doesn't have any idea what he's doing. I just hope he turns over the reins to someone who does and spends his time basking in the glow of the Oval Office.

- Dan G

So then it's land mass that should vote, rather than individuals?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DanG

I voted for him to secure our borders, repeal and replace Obamacare and nominate at least one, maybe two, conservative SC Justices.

He may do those things.

He may also get us into trade wars with China, Europe, and Mexico, shooting wars with whomever disses him, and global economic collapse.

He's totally unpredictable. The only predictable thing about him is that he doesn't have any idea what he's doing. I just hope he turns over the reins to someone who does and spends his time basking in the glow of the Oval Office.

In Glasser's Reality Therapy, that is called catastrophic thinking.

It is what it is, make it work. We will help you more than the BHO/HC progressive liberals helped us.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

wmw999

Depends what suits him in any particular argument.

It took him what, 30 minutes to go from 'the voters have chosen, you can't disregard the people!' to 'it would be stupid for the people to get to choose, of course it should be the states!':S

The irony of all this is, if the Democratic Party hadn't been so corrupt colluding with Hillary to screw over Bernie, they likely could have won.

The GOP got it's wakeup call when Trump got the nomination, the Democratic Party, the media, and the polling companies got theirs yesterday. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

wmw999

Wendy P.

States

As I said.
Abraham Lincoln

jakee

***So then it's land mass that should vote, rather than individuals?

Depends what suits him in any particular argument.

It took him what, 30 minutes to go from 'the voters have chosen, you can't disregard the people!' to 'it would be stupid for the people to get to choose, of course it should be the states!':S

you have been taking twist classes to I see.....
Abraham Lincoln