nigel99

Civil war if Hillary wins?

RonD1120

Councilor is a lawyer, I was a substance use disorder counselor.

counselor
- A person who gives counsel; an adviser.
- An attorney, especially a trial lawyer.
- A person who supervises young people at a summer camp.

(source: http://www.homophone.com)

I worked primarily with court ordered convicted felons.

Were you paid by the State for your work?

aphid

counselor

Private corporation, the funds came down through the federal, state and county.

Words change, back in the day a lawyer was a councilor.
There was no such word as empathetic. The correct word was empathic. That seems to have changed over time as well.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

No, Civil War II will not happen if HRC wins. Just like Obama, she will cause another round of conspiracy theorists to go out and buy up a lot of guns & ammo. She can say all she wants about guns but I will make a bet with anyone that she makes zero overtures about disarming the American public. My guess is she will take Homeland Security and turn it up a notch to work with the DOJ and federalize the policing structure.

It would take a series of significant events for Civil War II to occur. No sitting U.S. President will do anything to disrupt the balance enough to cause that to happen. I don't see Civil War II happening in my lifetime. U.S. Presidents are compelled to take more subtle measures because of the structure of our government.

GoHuskers

EVERY ONE died. None were taken into custody alive. One was even blown up by a robot (Dallas). You think that isn't an object lesson?

People who irrationally target LE probably don't objectively look at much of anything. I don't think surviving the attack is really a consideration.

Maybe, maybe not. It's realistic to presume that those attackers were doing a "Death Run" (expecting to go down in a "Blaze of Glory" kinda thing).

And most of them were killed by return fire at the time of the attack. The didn't even escape the scene of the initial attack.

The one in Dallas, however, was a bit different. They had the suspect cornered. He had nowhere to go. They chose to send in a bomb carrying robot. Actually a fairly expensive remote control vehicle. And blew it up.
They could have waited him out. Attempts to negotiate weren't successful, the suspect indicated he wanted to kill more cops.

But they didn't even wait a couple hours (reports said shots were exchanged at 0030, the bomb was detonated at 0121).

Historically, suspects in cop killings have a pretty high rate of dying while being arrested. Some of that is the irrationality of the suspects. But to think that the mentality of the cops isn't part of it is rather naive.

Even suspects who attack cops without killing them suffer. (even if the suspect turns out to not have committed the assault).

They don't take that sort of thing lightly.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

EVERY ONE died. None were taken into custody alive. One was even blown up by a robot (Dallas). You think that isn't an object lesson?

People who irrationally target LE probably don't objectively look at much of anything. I don't think surviving the attack is really a consideration.

Maybe, maybe not. It's realistic to presume that those attackers were doing a "Death Run" (expecting to go down in a "Blaze of Glory" kinda thing).

And most of them were killed by return fire at the time of the attack. The didn't even escape the scene of the initial attack.

The one in Dallas, however, was a bit different. They had the suspect cornered. He had nowhere to go. They chose to send in a bomb carrying robot. Actually a fairly expensive remote control vehicle. And blew it up.
They could have waited him out. Attempts to negotiate weren't successful, the suspect indicated he wanted to kill more cops.

But they didn't even wait a couple hours (reports said shots were exchanged at 0030, the bomb was detonated at 0121).

Historically, suspects in cop killings have a pretty high rate of dying while being arrested. Some of that is the irrationality of the suspects. But to think that the mentality of the cops isn't part of it is rather naive.

Even suspects who attack cops without killing them suffer. (even if the suspect turns out to not have committed the assault).

They don't take that sort of thing lightly.

Down here the Dallas PD takes a little different approach with respect to idiots that want to do them harm. The guy that shot up the PD building was met with a 50 cal. Hopefully the new Chief of Police continues the policy of "you throw a rock, we throw a grenade" protocol. Negotiating is overrated.

RonD1120

counselor

Private corporation, the funds came down through the federal, state and county.

Words change, back in the day a lawyer was a councilor.
There was no such word as empathetic. The correct word was empathic. That seems to have changed over time as well.

http://www.gingersoftware.com/english-online/spelling-book/confusing-words/councilor-counselor

Councilor is a member of a council.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

masterblaster72

Yup that is my colleagues fear. He's an incredibly bright guy and while HE wouldn't do anything stupid he does worry about the rednecks down south! He's in California but a republican who is voting trump as lesser of two evils but not cause he likes him (actually thinks he's a dick)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

my colleagues ... an incredibly bright guy ... wouldn't do anything stupid ...

...is voting trump

We have different standards for "incredibly bright," I guess.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

kallend

Debate: When asked, Trump flat out refused to state that he would accept the result of the election if he loses.

Pretty despicable, IMO.

Just like Al Gore in 2000.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

masterblaster72

my colleagues ... an incredibly bright guy ... wouldn't do anything stupid ...

...is voting trump

We have different standards for "incredibly bright," I guess.

:P Yes, intelligence and political judgement don't necessarily correlate! Maybe I should qualify and say 'incredibly bright for an American':o
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

RonD1120

Debate: When asked, Trump flat out refused to state that he would accept the result of the election if he loses.

Pretty despicable, IMO.

Just like Al Gore in 2000

I doubt Trump can bring himself to copy this (Gore having won a larger share of the popular vote):

Good evening. Just moments ago I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulated him on becoming the 43rd president of the United States. And I promised him that I wouldn't call him back this time.

I offered to meet with him as soon as possible so that we can start to heal the divisions of the campaign and the contest through which we've just passed.

Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency, ''Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I'm with you, Mr. President, and God bless you.'' Well, in that same spirit, I say to President-elect Bush that what remains of partisan rancor must now be put aside, and may God bless his stewardship of this country.

Neither he nor I anticipated this long and difficult road. Certainly neither of us wanted it to happen. Yet it came, and now it has ended, resolved, as it must be resolved, through the honored institutions of our democracy.

Over the library of one of our great law schools is inscribed the motto: ''Not under man, but under God and law.'' That's the ruling principle of American freedom, the source of our democratic liberties. I've tried to make it my guide throughout this contest, as it has guided America's deliberations of all the complex issues of the past five weeks. Now the U.S. Supreme Court has spoken. Let there be no doubt, while I strongly disagree with the court's decision, I accept it. I accept the finality of this outcome, which will be ratified next Monday in the Electoral College. And tonight, for the sake of our unity as a people and the strength of our democracy, I offer my concession.

I also accept my responsibility, which I will discharge unconditionally, to honor the new president-elect and do everything possible to help him bring Americans together in fulfillment of the great vision that our Declaration of Independence defines and that our Constitution affirms and defends.

Let me say how grateful I am to all those who've supported me and supported the cause for which we have fought. Tipper and I feel a deep gratitude to Joe and Hadassah Lieberman, who brought passion and high purpose to our partnership, and opened new doors, not just for our campaign, but for our country.

This has been an extraordinary election, but in one of God's unforeseen paths, this belatedly broken impasse can point us all to a new common ground, for its very closeness can serve to remind us that we are one people with a shared history and a shared destiny. Indeed, that history gives us many examples of contests as hotly debated, as fiercely fought, with their own challenges to the popular will. Other disputes have dragged on for weeks before reaching resolution, and each time, both the victor and the vanquished have accepted the result peacefully and in a spirit of reconciliation. So let it be with us.

I know that many of my supporters are disappointed. I am too. But our disappointment must be overcome by our love of country.

And I say to our fellow members of the world community: Let no one see this contest as a sign of American weakness. The strength of American democracy is shown most clearly through the difficulties it can overcome.

Some have expressed concern that the unusual nature of this election might hamper the next president in the conduct of his office. I do not believe it need be so.

President-elect Bush inherits a nation whose citizens will be ready to assist him in the conduct of his large responsibilities. I personally will be at his disposal and I call on all Americans -- I particularly urge all who stood with us -- to unite behind our next president.

This is America. Just as we fight hard when the stakes are high, we close ranks and come together when the contest is done. And while there will be time enough to debate our continuing differences, now is the time to recognize that that which unites us is greater than that which divides us.

While we yet hold and do not yield our opposing beliefs, there is a higher duty than the one we owe to political party. This is America and we put country before party. We will stand together behind our new president.

As for what I'll do next, I don't know the answer to that one yet. Like many of you, I'm looking forward to spending the holidays with family and old friends. I know I'll spend time in Tennessee and mend some fences, literally and figuratively.

Some have asked whether I have any regrets. And I do have one regret -- that I didn't get the chance to stay and fight for the American people over the next four years, especially for those who need burdens lifted and barriers removed, especially for those who feel their voices have not been heard. I heard you and I will not forget.

I've seen America in this campaign and I like what I see. It's worth fighting for and that's a fight I'll never stop.

As for the battle that ends tonight, I do believe, as my father once said, that no matter how hard the loss, defeat may serve as well as victory to shake the soul and let the glory out.

So for me this campaign ends as it began: with the love of Tipper and our family, with faith in God and in the country I have been so proud to serve, from Vietnam to the vice presidency, and with gratitude to our truly tireless campaign staff and volunteers including all those who worked so hard in Florida for the last 36 days.

Now the political struggle is over and we turn again to the unending struggle for the common good of all Americans and for those multitudes around the world who look to us for leadership in the cause of freedom.

In the words of our great hymn, ''America, America,'' let us crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea.

And now, my friends, in a phrase I once addressed to others, it's time for me to go. Thank you and good night and God bless America.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

Pretty despicable, IMO.

Actually, this is your (and the media) spin on it.

So I guess Al Gore was despicable too.....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

IF, we have one, which I doubt, it will be if Hillary loses in a close election like Bush v Gore.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Did you even watch the debate?

I didn't need "spin" to hear with my own ears how Mr. Trump responded to that direct question repeatedly from the moderator.

aphid

I didn't need "spin" to hear with my own ears how Mr. Trump responded to that direct question repeatedly from the moderator.

Yes
I did watch it.

I refuse to accept your view on what he said.
You refuse to accept my view on what he said.

So, to take a quote from one of the candidates, "What difference, at this point, does it make anyway?".

Look, this is the same shit as when Romney was running, he hated women, he took away health insurance, he abuses dogs and on and on. And the same happen to McCain and Bush and Reagan. Same old shit over and over.

Frankly, the dishonesty of the press, it loyal followers and the democratic party is getting tiresome.

Next!
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Yes
I did watch it.

I don't have a "view" of what he said. They were his words, from his own mouth.

Perhaps you were having a bathroom break? Here's his reply;

https://youtu.be/8dc3mUtpU44?t=5069

(Starts at the appropriate time)

For the record AGAIN, as a foreigner, I have no say nor vote in your election. As such, I don't give a rats-ass about whether the spin is to the right or to the left.

(Edited to make link clickable)

aphid

Yes
I did watch it.

I don't have a "view" of what he said. They were his words, from his own mouth.

Perhaps you were having a bathroom break? Here's his reply;

https://youtu.be/8dc3mUtpU44?t=5069

(Starts at the appropriate time)

For the record AGAIN, as a foreigner, I have no say nor vote in your election. As such, I don't give a rats-ass about whether the spin is to the right or to the left.

I watched it live.

And for someone who does not give a rats ass you sure post about our election a bunch......
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

And for someone who does not give a rats ass you sure post about our election a bunch......

Pardon me for offering up the video to confirm the candidates own words.

Kindly allow me to repeat: I don't give a rats-ass about the spin. Reading may be fundamental, but comprehension can be critical.

Even up here in the third world called Canada it is impossible to escape the inundation of American media, representing both the right and the left.

I stand dutifully admonished, Marc. In the future, I'll try to further reduce my (actually quite few, I checked) specific US election posts.