1 1
Iago

'Emotional Support' animals and airplanes

JoeWeber

I think it's important to stay focused on the selfishness and self centeredness of those who abuse the ADA and the Air Carrier Access Act... ..
. Until then show some humanity and bit of consideration for others and leave your pets at home.

Those two statements are diametrically opposed to each other.

The idiots who abuse the system don't show any consideration or concern for anyone else.

That selfishness and self-centeredness is not limited to the "emotional support animal" crowd, but they are a clear example.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Now at the opposite end of the size spectrum...
Let us bow our heads for a moment of silence to remember Pebbles, the emotional-support hamster: http://www.tampabay.com/news/Bad-info-from-Spirit-Air-led-me-to-flush-pet-hamster-down-airport-toilet-student-says_165291758
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You have to wonder if she said: "Bye, Buddy", emotionally of course, before she hit the flush handle.

Me, I'd have given the poor furry fellow friend to the shoe shine guy before swirling him down the closest shitter.

Seriously, what will it take to cause everyone to see how absurd the emotional support animal nonsense has become?

JoeWeber

You have to wonder if she said: "Bye, Buddy", emotionally of course, before she hit the flush handle.

Me, I'd have given the poor furry fellow friend to the shoe shine guy before swirling him down the closest shitter.

Seriously, what will it take to cause everyone to see how absurd the emotional support animal nonsense has become?

"You got an emotional support RHINO?!"

"Yeah, I'm allergic to dogs."

ryoder

Let us bow our heads for a moment of silence to remember Pebbles, the emotional-support hamster: http://www.tampabay.com/news/Bad-info-from-Spirit-Air-led-me-to-flush-pet-hamster-down-airport-toilet-student-says_165291758

There are several hundred options before the need to flush your dwarf hampster down a toilet. One of those being to just put the damn thing in your pocket and walk onto the plane.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The hamster person needs help, seriously. Cruelty to animals is an indicator.

While we're at it, if you want to let your imagination roam delve into the mindset of those who "en-childrenate" their pet/kids. Certainly these poor folks are a large percentage of the scofflaws who abuse the system.

But why? More importantly, why is it an escalating thing? Are there simply more lonely people these days? Or is it that we are, by nature, selfish assholes and this is just another way to express ourselves?

JoeWeber

The hamster person needs help, seriously. Cruelty to animals is an indicator.

While we're at it, if you want to let your imagination roam delve into the mindset of those who "en-childrenate" their pet/kids. Certainly these poor folks are a large percentage of the scofflaws who abuse the system.

But why? More importantly, why is it an escalating thing? Are there simply more lonely people these days? Or is it that we are, by nature, selfish assholes and this is just another way to express ourselves?

Other people are doing it. Working on campus you can tell what the next trend will be. There was a show years ago where Jessica Alba was the hero saving the world. Everyone had to wear barcodes on the back of their necks and sure enough, first week of classes and a sizable chunk of them had barcodes tattood on their necks. Flip flops became a thing and everyone wore them, even in snow. The most annoying one was the year everyone decided to become anonymous. I don't know where it came from, some movie probably but most of the students now thought it was really cute to turn in false addresses and phone numbers, even the student workers. And every faculty meeting that year had faculty saying that their students were complaining because they didn't know what was going on. Same students.
Everyone is desperate to be unique like everyone else.

DJL

There are several hundred options before the need to flush your dwarf hampster down a toilet. One of those being to just put the damn thing in your pocket and walk onto the plane.

Yep, when my wife was in grad school on the east coast, she would bring her parakeet back and forth on visits to the Bay Area in a small cardboard box. If it started fussing, she just stuck her finger in the box for it to sit on, and it would quiet down.

Of course, that's the point entirely. With any number of humane or clever solutions on offer she chose cruelty. Faced with personal inconvenience, and perhaps recognizing that her 15 minutes of fame were nigh, she simply disposed of it like any other inanimate object with small value.

Now I get it that it was just a goddamn hamster. And if you've ever been bitten by one, as I have, you might not be fully opposed to giving it a demo of the coriolis effect. Here, however, it appears to be a simple case of selfish, immature cruelty and she should not be coddled. She should be charged.

>Everyone is desperate to be unique like everyone else.

It's a phase most people go through, and you see it in skydiving as much as anywhere else. They adopt the current uniform of nonconformity, so they can feel they are both unique and among like-minded people.

billvon

>Everyone is desperate to be unique like everyone else.

It's a phase most people go through, and you see it in skydiving as much as anywhere else. They adopt the current uniform of nonconformity, so they can feel they are both unique and among like-minded people.

That fad may be passing now:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/30/harley-davidson-kansas-city-plant-motorcycle-sales-fall/1078008001/

Phil1111

***>Everyone is desperate to be unique like everyone else.

That fad may be passing now:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/30/harley-davidson-kansas-city-plant-motorcycle-sales-fall/1078008001/

Unless riding a rice burner IS the new fad.
I know it goes on everywhere, but the only large groups of people I've been around day to day were on campus, so that's where I saw it on a regular basis.

JoeWeber

They used her name, and Belen Adecosea who goes to a Boston College and lives in Florida will be very easy to find through any university's web site, even the public parts of it. The current climate on most US campuses is "who can we string up next" so I suspect that when Belen gets back from her trip "Pebbles Will Be Avenged!"

ryoder

Story sounds fishy:
https://www.snopes.com/spirit-airlines-hamster/

I doubt anyone would flush a live pet down a toilet.

A little girl saw an emotional-support dog on a plane. It went for her face.:S>:(

Take link at top of page to avoid paywall:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awashingtonpost.com+A+girl+approached+an+emotional-support+dog+on+a+plane.+It+went+for+her+face.&oq=site%3Awashingtonpost.com+A+girl+approached+an+emotional-support+dog+on+a+plane.+It+went+for+her+face.&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.5998j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Good. 

I'm a big fan of real service animals. I know someone who has a service dog for her mental illness. It's a huge help for her.

But I also know a few people who got 'service dog' vests online and use them to take their untrained dog places it really shouldn't go. 

Tightening up the rules is needed.

However, I was thinking that this would have been about something a little bit different.
It's been in the media the past couple days. 

Dude in Brooklyn was 'uncomfortable' on the bus. He wanted a little something to help reduce the stress. So he went online and registered his service 'animal'.

A beer. Really.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/brooklyn-man-registers-beer-as-emotional-support-animal/

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Good. 

I'm a big fan of real service animals. I know someone who has a service dog for her mental illness. It's a huge help for her.

But I also know a few people who got 'service dog' vests online and use them to take their untrained dog places it really shouldn't go. 

Tightening up the rules is needed.

However, I was thinking that this would have been about something a little bit different.
It's been in the media the past couple days. 

Dude in Brooklyn was 'uncomfortable' on the bus. He wanted a little something to help reduce the stress. So he went online and registered his service 'animal'.

A beer. Really.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/brooklyn-man-registers-beer-as-emotional-support-animal/

I am so looking forward to this being ended. It's selfish, ridiculous, unsafe, unsanitary and a direct insult to people who need service dogs to make their day's easier. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, airdvr said:

In The age of PC and social media the airlines don’t dare risk being called out by the social justice warriors.  

sat next to a woman on a 5 hour flight to SFO with her stinky little dog on her lap next to me. 

I'm waiting on the cloning tech to get to a point where I can have a Therapy Velociraptor. They are much smaller than in the movies.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm waiting on the cloning tech to get to a point where I can have a Therapy Velociraptor. They are much smaller than in the movies.

I can just hear the rationalizations now.  "Velociraptors got a bad image from the left wing media.  But they're really sweet.  See?  I can get her to take a marshmallow out of my mouth.  Would I do that if I thought they could be violent?  It's not the animal, it's how they are treated.  All those stories about velociraptors eating people are from people who cruelly mistreated them.  Not like me and my sweet Deltakins.  She'll be fine next to your 6 month old."

8 hours ago, billvon said:

I can just hear the rationalizations now.  "Velociraptors got a bad image from the left wing media.  But they're really sweet.  See?  I can get her to take a marshmallow out of my mouth.  Would I do that if I thought they could be violent?  It's not the animal, it's how they are treated.  All those stories about velociraptors eating people are from people who cruelly mistreated them.  Not like me and my sweet Deltakins.  She'll be fine next to your 6 month old."

:shock:I can NOT believe you just gender assigned my imaginary pet dinosaur clone therapy animal thing.>:(

• Like 1