1 1
Iago

'Emotional Support' animals and airplanes

Give all the people who need an "emotional support animal" a teddy bear.

And a security blanket if needed (a la Linus from Peanuts).

The fake "service animal" craze has gotten way out of hand. I know people who have real service animals. Properly trained, medically necessary, all that. Absolutely amazing what some of them can do.

The fakes do them a great disservice when they misbehave.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

And a security blanket if needed (a la Linus from Peanuts).

The fake "service animal" craze has gotten way out of hand. I know people who have real service animals. Properly trained, medically necessary, all that. Absolutely amazing what some of them can do.

The fakes do them a great disservice when they misbehave.

Interesting to see this thread. I'v never heard of this concept until last week when family members were boasting about how they deliberately abuse this system just to bring their dog along.

However, in the same week, I learned of another woman that brings her dog along for emotional support. I figured she was abusing the system as well, but it's now apparent that tho she's extremely intelligent, she's also emotional retarded as well.

I tried several times to make friends with her little chihuahua, but to no avail. finally the dog wanted to come up to me when I was busy eating. I jokingly said, "no, you had your chance."

The emotionally retarded emotional support dog owner got very defensive and proceeded to lecture me on giving people second chances. . .

Woman tried to take a full grown peacock on a United Airlines flight as an emotional support animal, but the airline wasn't buying it. WTF? I raise peacocks and I never go into their enclosure without a club in hand. Those birds are big, strong, and aggressive.

Don

GeorgiaDon

Woman tried to take a full grown peacock on a United Airlines flight as an emotional support animal, but the airline wasn't buying it. WTF? I raise peacocks and I never go into their enclosure without a club in hand. Those birds are big, strong, and aggressive.

Don

It is only a matter of time until we hear about emotional support ostriches.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

GeorgiaDon

Don

Yup. The local morning radio guys were talking about this some. One of the regular listeners (goes on the trips, donates autographed music memorabilia for the fund raiser auctions, ect) also raises peacocks. He has about 30 of them. He called in and said that, while they can be very calming and soothing, he would never put one in close proximity with people in an enclosed area like that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

I fly a few times a year, and frankly have never been exposed to this kind of abuse on a flight I was on. I've seen some doubtful-looking dogs in the airport, but never on a flight, and never for long enough to know if appearances are deceiving.

I have a friend who used to be a backcountry ranger at a national park. Dogs aren't allowed on some trails unless they're service dogs, and he did say that it's pretty clear when it's BS. Those are the people who angrily say that he can't legally question their need for their beloved shitting cocker spaniel or whatever.

I have a feeling that unless you're in a position to interact regularly, the publicity is bigger than reality.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

JoeWeber

I post again only to bring this thread forward. Iago, bravely in my view, asked an important question worthy of serious discussion. Any takers?

I think the entire concept is BS. If you need the emotional support of your duck or iguana in order to fly, then you should stay on the ground.

And I think animals in the passenger cabin are a safety hazard in case an emergency evacuation is needed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There was a couple that had an emotional support dog at the airport. When I boarded, I saw that they were in my window seat. They had the middle and the aisle seat and had wanted the window believing I would give it up for their animal. But I said "no". I paid for the seat and I know the difference between a "comfort animal" and a Service Dog. They played the victim; and I wanted a peaceful flight. Thus didn't call them out on their bullshit.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

kallend

***I post again only to bring this thread forward. Iago, bravely in my view, asked an important question worthy of serious discussion. Any takers?

I think the entire concept is BS. If you need the emotional support of your duck or iguana in order to fly, then you should stay on the ground.

And I think animals in the passenger cabin are a safety hazard in case an emergency evacuation is needed.
This isn't just about flying. Wait till you find dog hair or duck feathers in your lunch special. People seem to forget that there are real reasons for the rules about animals in some places. About that peacock, the used to have them at the City Park in Parkersburg Wv. My cousin lived close to it and went over a lot. They were nice to look at but thr idea of that call or stink inside an airplane is hard to imagine.

In addition, numerous websites exist that promise to “certify” an owner’s pet as an emotional support animal, charging between $59 and $200 to provide the owner with an ID vest and a certificate — and sometimes the necessary mental health letters as well. While researching this story, we easily found websites that promised “Any dog may qualify,” “Take your pet everywhere. Instant Approval!”, and “It’s easy to register your pet as an emotional support animal!”

Two Today investigative writers discovered first-hand the ease with which they could travel with their animals. Jeff Rossen filled out a questionnaire on a ESA web site and was sent an official letter from a mental health professional without ever seeing or speaking to her. He subsequently took two flights with his dog sitting in his lap, and no one from the airlines even asked to see the letter. His colleague, Lindsey Bomnin, received certification from the same web site for a borrowed pot-bellied pig, then took two flights with the pig on her lap.
https://www.snopes.com/flying-with-animals/

kallend

In the event of an emergency, can your emotional support duck be used as a flotation device?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You guys sure are up in arms over these dogs/cats/hippos, but I'll bet not a one of you has ever given a dam about all the bums that use handicap spots, then jog into the store.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

You guys sure are up in arms over these dogs/cats/hippos, but I'll bet not a one of you has ever given a damn about all the bums that use handicap spots, then jog into the store.

Wanna bet?

I've had a "crip card" before.

To need the close parking spot because I couldn't walk, and then to see an idiot do just that was really annoying.

I won't post what I did on here, even though the statute of limitations has run out.

jackwallace

You guys sure are up in arms over these dogs/cats/hippos, but I'll bet not a one of you has ever given a dam about all the bums that use handicap spots, then jog into the store.

Are you basing that on something or just pulling it out of your ass? Either way, you're wrong.

I think it's important to stay focused on the selfishness and self centeredness of those who abuse the ADA and the Air Carrier Access Act. Both laws were intended to provide mobility, security and freedom to our fellow citizens who have real disabilities.

It is difficult to clamp down on the abuses because no one wants to harm those who truly need service animals to live fuller lives. However, as the new law in Colorado and the Peacock story show the clamp down is surely coming.

And when it does it will very likely harm the innocent. Consider the disabled veteran with PTSD, a real disability that can not be easily seen. I ask anyone who abuses these laws, is it really worth risking a heavier burden for that disabled person just so you can sneak your dog onto an airplane or into a restaurant or hotel? Surely, not one disabled person would refuse giving up their service dog and their disability to anyone so that person could take their animal friend wherever they want to go.

The bottom line is that if taking your dog or cat with you wherever you go, irrespective of whether it is an inconvenience for others, a health (allergies etc.) or safety issue (exiting an aircraft in an emergency), and that is how you believe the world should work then get to work and change the laws. Until then show some humanity and bit of consideration for others and leave your pets at home.

jackwallace

What makes you bet that?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

ryoder

In the event of an emergency, can your emotional support duck be used as a flotation device?:|

No.

But I know where I’d be looking for lunch if we washed up on a desert island...

jackwallace

You’d lose that bet.
I’ve totally called assholes on shit like that before.

Wait till you find dog hair or duck feathers in your lunch special. People seem to forget that there are real reasons for the rules about animals in some places.

Meh. They allow dogs in many restaurants in Europe with no problems. I think it should be up to the restaurant owner. Of course, I think restaurants should be allowed to permit smoking, too.

- Dan G

I think restaurants should be allowed to permit smoking, too.

Thank God that's long gone and never coming back. I remember those days, and I smoked back then.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I agree that restaurants are more enjoyable for us non-smokers now, but I still think it should be up to the owner. Here in Virginia you can still have a smoking section under very tight controls, including it being a physically separated space. Seems to work for those few restaurants that do it.

- Dan G