kallend

Voter registration extended in Florida despite GOP attempts to supress voters

From WaPo:

Elsewhere, GOP vote suppression is even more transparently hostile to mass and minority turnout. In Florida, Republican Gov. Rick Scott last week refused to extend the deadline for voter registration even as Hurricane Matthew menaced his state, disrupting a surge in 11th-hour registrations. Mr. Scott, chair of a pro-Trump super PAC, said Floridians had had plenty of time already to register. U.S. District Judge Mark Walker disagreed, ordering the deadline extended on his authority Monday and expressing contempt for what he called the governor’s “wholly irrational” decision. He added: “This case is about the right of aspiring eligible voters to register and to have their votes counted. Nothing could be more fundamental to our democracy.”

That’s exactly right. And it should pose a basic question for Republican leaders, including House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (Wis.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), as they contemplate a post-Trump future. Will the GOP embrace the novel idea of attracting more voters to its side, or will it continue trying to win elections by discouraging people from exercising their right to vote?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rushmc

God forbid we follow any laws anymore........

Doesn't matter who you vote for - I think a natural disaster is a pretty good reason to extend registration

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think we should allow post-election voting. If a candidate loses, it would give his/her supporters a chance to go rustle up a few more votes from the folks who stayed home. Even a post-election voter registration drive could be a possibility. At least folks would then know exactly how many votes they need to gin up. No deadlines allowed, either.

muff528

I think we should allow post-election voting. If a candidate loses, it would give his/her supporters a chance to go rustle up a few more votes from the folks who stayed home. Even a post-election voter registration drive could be a possibility. At least folks would then know exactly how many votes they need to gin up. No deadlines allowed, either.

Trump wants his supporters to vote November 28th.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Judging by the damage up the coast, Florida shouldn't be the only state in this situation, are we?

Not even Florida was in this situation.

Matthew was a liberal hoax to convince people that the climate change myth is real (and to steal votes.) Haven't you heard?

"The deplorables are starting to wonder if govt has been lying to them about Hurricane Matthew intensity to make exaggerated point on climate" - Drudge

"Hurricane Center has monopoly on data. No way of verifying claims. Nassau ground observations DID NOT match statements! 165mph gusts? WHERE?" - Drudge

"So over the recent past, past five or six years, whenever there has been a hurricane, I think I've been able to spot when they try to make it look like it might hit a population center because they want people to think this way: Hurricane reported. Must be climate change. They want that thought process. And one of the ways you can bring that about is to try to convince people that a given hurricane that may pop up is aiming right for a major population center. It's kind of like UFOs. UFOs never land where there are smart people. UFOs always land in trailer parks and places. You ever notice that? UFOs land in swamps. They land out where nobody lives. They don't go to MIT. They don't go to Harvard. Well, a hurricane hitting a swamp is worthless to the global warming crowd. A hurricane has to hit a population center." - Limbaugh

kallend

From WaPo:

In Florida, Republican Gov. Rick Scott last week refused to extend the deadline for voter registration even as Hurricane Matthew menaced his state, disrupting a surge in 11th-hour registrations. Mr. Scott, chair of a pro-Trump super PAC, said Floridians had had plenty of time already to register.

Oh, like those kids who didn't turn 18 until early October? They should have registered earlier? :S

Or those who recently moved to Florida, who should have registered before they had an address, I guess.

Yeah, our governor doesn't think a lot of things through before speaking.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

>Yeah, our governor doesn't think a lot of things through before speaking.

Both parties traditionally do voter registration drives before elections to get more people out to vote. Trump just said this during a speech in Florida:

"If you're not registered to vote, get the hell out!"

Hi Bill,

I am starting wonder if Trump is not imploding. His walk to the nomination was eazy-peazy. Now, that he is up against some true competition and the R's who are dis-owning him, it might just be that he cannot handle it.

IMO the title of 'loser' when this is over will hang around his neck for the rest of his life. I think that will be very difficult for Trump's ego.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Bill,

I am starting wonder if Trump is not imploding. His walk to the nomination was eazy-peazy. Now, that he is up against some true competition and the R's who are dis-owning him, it might just be that he cannot handle it.

IMO the title of 'loser' when this is over will hang around his neck for the rest of his life. I think that will be very difficult for Trump's ego.

Jerry Baumchen

He won't see it that way.

He will boast how much money he has made from the campaign and how is brand recognition has grown.

He will parlay it into ultra right wing media business.

Then after a year or so he will boast how much everything worked out according to his plan.

>I am starting wonder if Trump is not imploding.

Well, that would imply that he's folding in on himself. If anything it looks like he's exploding - claiming that whereas before he was calm and equinamious, he would now "take the gloves off" and pummel Clinton, people who disagree with him, Democrats, the GOP "establishment," Muslims, women, people in his campaign who don't toe the line, the media etc. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall and just wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

If he can't win, and can't drag Clinton down, at least he can fling crap and get on TV.

SkyDekker

***Hi Bill,

Jerry Baumchen

He won't see it that way.

He will boast how much money he has made from the campaign and how is brand recognition has grown.

He will parlay it into ultra right wing media business.

Then after a year or so he will boast how much everything worked out according to his plan.

Agreed;
He has declared victory in every business failure he's had.
His ego makes it impossible to ever see he has made a mistake or had a defeat.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

headoverheels

Trump wants his supporters to vote November 28th.

Problem solved!;)

Yep. www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-tells-crowd-election-day-is-november-28/

November 28th the is court date for Trump University. Donald had his loser dates swapped.

Bwahahahahah!!!!:D
You're right: http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/06/news/donald-trump-university-trial/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.