ryoder

Ten tons of ammo seized in Winnipeg

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/10/06/ten-tons-of-ammo-seized

"Five pallets of .223 ammunition...were removed from a home..."

Hell, now we know why there has been an ammo shortage in the US;
One Canadian dude has been bogarting it all!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That's about 5 miles from where I live. Grow ops are very common here. Bulk ammo, not so much. Probably the grow op is biker owned and operated by a stooge. The ammo, likely in storage for transit elsewhere.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'm not sure either. But a pallet of most anything tops out a about 2 tons. Anything more is too much for the common forklift, or the floor of the truck. A lot of products keep the weight of a pallet to 2200 lbs so that you can put them side by side in the truck.

Ammo would be a very heavy product for it's size. That is probably not a standard 40 x 48 inch pallet. If it is it would not be stacked very high.

Google tells me 100 rounds is 2.69 lbs so only about 140,000 rounds on one of those pallets. I bet there is a lot more than that up in the GA hills.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

quade

A pallet of .223 is 2 tons? I have no idea how many rounds are included in a pallet load.

Figuring 10g/round, that comes to like 200 cases of 1,000 rounds of 5.56x45mm ammo.

9wx9lx13h arrangement would fit on a pallet, no sweat.

gowlerk

I'm not sure either. But a pallet of most anything tops out a about 2 tons. Anything more is too much for the common forklift, or the floor of the truck. A lot of products keep the weight of a pallet to 2200 lbs so that you can put them side by side in the truck.

Ammo would be a very heavy product for it's size. That is probably not a standard 40 x 48 inch pallet. If it is it would not be stacked very high.

Google tells me 100 rounds is 2.69 lbs so only about 140,000 rounds on one of those pallets. I bet there is a lot more than that up in the GA hills.

I've actually hauled a load of ammunition out of the Federal facility in Anoka MN. All the pallets were standard sized (40 x 48), but none were stacked more than a couple feet high. 40,000 lbs of ammo.

And it was not a placarded hazmat load either.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi Paul,

A pallet of .223 is 2 tons?

Back in the mid-60's, while in college, I was in the Teamster's union; good money.

I was working out of the hall and got called out to unload a boxcar. When we got there it was only about 2 ft full; full of boxes of bullets. By the end of the day I was dead. Those things get heavy very fast.

Jerry Baumchen

I am I getting this right, it is illegal to own "high caliber" ammo in Canada?

Most of the folks I know up here have a couple of hunting rifles, a .22 and a shot gun. The avid hunters also have archery equipment and a black powder rifle. They have a few boxes of ammo for the rifles. Survival is the main motivation.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

No, it is not. They are charged with drug offenses. The ammo was seized, but the article does not mention any charges in relation to it. I'm not sure under what law it was seized, but the house was a large grow op. And it would not seem prudent to just leave it there.

I'm guessing if someone can prove legitimate ownership they will be able to recover it.

gowlerk

No, it is not. They are charged with drug offenses. The ammo was seized, but the article does not mention any charges in relation to it. I'm not sure under what law it was seized, but the house was a large grow op. And it would not seem prudent to just leave it there.

I'm guessing if someone can prove legitimate ownership they will be able to recover it.

Well, first off, .223 (or 5.56 which is almost the same thing) is a long , long way from being considered "high powered." I don't know exactly what a "high caliber" is, but a lot of folks refer to ARs and other 223 stuff as "mouse guns."

And it's pretty common for guns and ammo to be seized during drug raids. In the US, possession of firearms while engaging in other illegal activity is a crime, even if the guns would be legal if possessed without committing another crime.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

winsor

***A pallet of .223 is 2 tons? I have no idea how many rounds are included in a pallet load.

Figuring 10g/round, that comes to like 200 cases of 1,000 rounds of 5.56x45mm ammo.
[/QUOTE]

US Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit member PFC Kattie Harris answered "how often do you practice" with

“Monday through Friday, 0900 to 1630. We will shoot 1000 rounds per day, and our training intensifies two weeks before a match to prepare us for them.” 5000 rounds a week, 20,000 rounds a month.

An avid amateur could go through that cache by the time we recover from the Panics of 2016.

DrewEckhardt

******A pallet of .223 is 2 tons? I have no idea how many rounds are included in a pallet load.

[/QUOTE]

US Army Advanced Marksmanship Unit member PFC Kattie Harris answered "how often do you practice" with

“Monday through Friday, 0900 to 1630. We will shoot 1000 rounds per day, and our training intensifies two weeks before a match to prepare us for them.” 5000 rounds a week, 20,000 rounds a month.

An avid amateur could go through that cache by the time we recover from the Panics of 2016.

Agreed.

Shooting Skeet with a 12 ga., 200 rounds per evening is plenty of recoil. Shooting a .338 Lapua for long range work, 50 rounds will take some time for rest and recovery.

The 5.56/.223 is more along the lines of a video game that requires earplugs. I don't think I have ever emptied that many mags in one sitting, but it strikes me as being less intimidating than burning up a box of 20 .460 Weatherbys.

The Weatherby is much more fun, all things being considered. Detonating bowling balls is a scream.

BSBD,

Winsor